ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

The sacrifices a husband must make...

I've been saving for an L lense to go with my 1D. I was very, very close to ordering when my wife made a comment that made me reconsider.

She's been shooting with my Canon A2 35mm camera since I got the 1D. After shooting 20+ rolls of relatives at her grandmother's 95th birthday party and having to wait so long to get the film developed, then seeing the cost of developing she made the comment "A Canon 10D would sure be nice."

Now I try to be a perceptive husband that pays attention to the "subtle" hints dropped by my significant other. That comment, to me, seemed to be one of those "subtle" hints I'm supposed to recognize. Being a good husband, I promptly started looking for a good deal on a 10D, since she has told me that she doesn't want the Drebel (we've discussed getting her a digital Canon before).

The day I decided to order her a 10D; Canon announced the 20D. So, I did a little soul searching and read some previews then opted to order her a 20D with a kit lens. And 3 1gb Lexar CF cards. After all, I've filled my 1gb and 128mb card up at several events this year and the price has dropped to $139 before a $30 rebate so why not just get a few more? They can be used in either camera!

My wife is very excited which I think is great. She keeps asking when it should be released. I'm excited about the extra 1gb cards and maybe having access to a camera that will give consistent exposures with a flash. That's my biggest complaint about the 1D, I can't seem to get consistent exposures using my 550EX. I'm hoping that E-TTL 2 and the Digic 2 processor live up to the hype.

I'm sure it's going to get a good workout when our baby arrives. Now I have to start saving, again, for the L lenses on my wish list. The sacrifices I make for a happy marriage...
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Hey Congrat's, let me know what bugs it has. It's been my personal experience, not to purchase a new Digital camera right out of the gates. Not to put a damper on your purchase, but I expect "some" problems like the 10D had.

I've got my fingers crossed...

that we'll get a bug free camera, however, I too, expect issues of some sort. I guess I've been lucky so far, my 1D hasn't exhibited any of the issues that were supposed to be common to it (or I can't tell if it is!).

My wife doesn't shoot a lot, so if it has to go back for fixin' it won't be a huge issue. I'm guessing less than 1000 shots a year for my wife, even with a digital, where I'm averaging around 800+ a month. That was an issue that we discussed and are willing to risk.

Hey, someone's got to be on the cutting edge! My last two cameras were purchased after they were discontinued and I was able to pick up one of the few left in stock. Thought we'd try something new.

BTW, I don't know if I've ever told you how much I like the wedding photos you post. I enjoy them and get the distinct impression you really enjoy shooting weddings!

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgy
    Hey Congrat's, let me know what bugs it has. It's been my personal experience, not to purchase a new Digital camera right out of the gates. Not to put a damper on your purchase, but I expect "some" problems like the 10D had.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

well, let me know how it is. I looking at the 1D markII, but I have been soooooooo happy with my 10D I might just upgrade, and invest in more glass.

1000 shot a year, that camera will last forever LOL. I have had my 10D for about a year now and Im well over 75,000 shots.

75,000?!?

That seemed like a lot the first time I read your post until I thought about shooting over 7000 in 9 months myself. I'm not shooting professionally, yet, and my current job's time requirements hinder me getting to many of the events I would love to shoot. I could see easily doubling, tripling or more the number of shots I would take in a year.

I love my 1D and have eyed the markII enviously. I would definitely like the markII but will upgrade to some L glass before upgrading my camera. The 1D is awesome for my primary type of shooting, airplanes/airshows. I've been looking at the 100-400 as the most likely first purchase but don't know how I'd like the push-pull zoom. I need to try to find someone that will let me play with one first. I'd like the speed of the 70-200 2.8 but it's too short for what I shoot. Guess it's not going to matter for a while now. I've spent my pennies on the 20D.

I'll try to give it a thorough workout and post my unprofessional findings here for all. The salesperson I've been dealing with at Adorama is consistent in saying I'm one of the first ones on their list to get one so maybe it won't be too far in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgy
    well, let me know how it is. I looking at the 1D markII, but I have been soooooooo happy with my 10D I might just upgrade, and invest in more glass.

1000 shot a year, that camera will last forever LOL. I have had my 10D for about a year now and Im well over 75,000 shots.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Talking What An Incredibly Thoughtful Husband You Are!!!

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly
    I've been saving for an L lense to go with my 1D. I was very, very close to ordering when my wife made a comment that made me reconsider.

She's been shooting with my Canon A2 35mm camera since I got the 1D. After shooting 20+ rolls of relatives at her grandmother's 95th birthday party and having to wait so long to get the film developed, then seeing the cost of developing she made the comment "A Canon 10D would sure be nice."

Now I try to be a perceptive husband that pays attention to the "subtle" hints dropped by my significant other. That comment, to me, seemed to be one of those "subtle" hints I'm supposed to recognize. Being a good husband, I promptly started looking for a good deal on a 10D, since she has told me that she doesn't want the Drebel (we've discussed getting her a digital Canon before).

The day I decided to order her a 10D; Canon announced the 20D. So, I did a little soul searching and read some previews then opted to order her a 20D with a kit lens. And 3 1gb Lexar CF cards. After all, I've filled my 1gb and 128mb card up at several events this year and the price has dropped to $139 before a $30 rebate so why not just get a few more? They can be used in either camera!

My wife is very excited which I think is great. She keeps asking when it should be released. I'm excited about the extra 1gb cards and maybe having access to a camera that will give consistent exposures with a flash. That's my biggest complaint about the 1D, I can't seem to get consistent exposures using my 550EX. I'm hoping that E-TTL 2 and the Digic 2 processor live up to the hype.

I'm sure it's going to get a good workout when our baby arrives. Now I have to start saving, again, for the L lenses on my wish list. The sacrifices I make for a happy marriage...
    And smart too! If she's shooting too, then she's got to understand when you need a longer lens, a faster lens, more memory, etc, etc. ;-)

My hat's off to you buddy for making that sacrifice. I know what's it's like to want a new lens. I think that was very considerate of you.

Paul is the one to talk too about gettting the most out of your 550. He knows flash a lot better than I do. Plus he shoots with a 1D as well. Use every available resource at you disposal. In this case, Paul is an excellent resource for you to use.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Smile You're a good husband...

I will venture to guess that after the baby arrives, that mom will have more reason to take pictures, and will appreciate the digital more. So it is a good thing that you are getting more memory for the cameras.

Thread Information