ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Jamaica Bay WildLife Refuge. . .some pics of my day

These are a few shots from this great place in Queens, N.Y. in an area called The Rockaways. There are many species of birds there and some turtles ( this one happened to be crossing the road in front of me on the foot trail) This onelooks like a Terrapin and was headed toward the Terrapin nesting areas.
    Lots of Canada Geese there as well. And a shot of a Bluebird, which looks like an Eastern Bluebird but the white neck is not shown in my refernce book. Maybe Paulnj can help. Also a shot of a Monarch butterfly which was right in the front by the entrance.
    Met some good people there, bird watchers and other photogs. A father and son bird watching team were there waitng for sundown to check out the Owls as they come over to the island to do their hunting and train their young to hunt. It was an unplanned ,spontaneous visit, but an enjoyable one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jamaica Bay WildLife Refuge. . .some pics of my day-birds0704-08110202xweb.jpg   Jamaica Bay WildLife Refuge. . .some pics of my day-birds0704-191101xweb.jpg   Jamaica Bay WildLife Refuge. . .some pics of my day-butterfly0704-111105xweb.jpg   Jamaica Bay WildLife Refuge. . .some pics of my day-terrapin0704-221104xweb.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    not a bluebird........ it's a TREE SWALLOW

and yes that is a diamond-backed terrapin too

one thing I MUST STRESS about jamaica bay from my limited visits...... WATCH OUT FOR DEER TICKS!!!!!

USE PERMANONE!!!!!!!!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

These are beautiful, if somewhat oversharp to my eyes. Great job composing and filling the frame. However, it's not a monarch butterfly either - it's a Tiger swallowtail.

I am jealous of your day!

Thanks Paulnj and iguanamom for your help on identifying some of these. Fortunately i had no problems with ticks that day but did get bitten by mosquitoes later towrd the early evening. Have to remember to use bug repellent next time
    The first three pics seem to have some noise and grain that I did not spend to much time on trying to clean up, thus making it appear like too much unsharp mask. the sharp filter and grain don't go too well together. I keep hearing great things about a program called Neatimage and think i will try it to clean up some images that need it.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    I think the problem is ONLY the scan.... you originals are GREAT I'm sure ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information