ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

I've been busy too...

I've been lucky enough to have two nice trips in the last couple of weeks. My wife and I were in San Francisco and wine country to celebrate our 10th anniversary (I don't know how she does it) at the end of August. It's a really beautiful area that we visited several years ago and since she continued to mention it I surprised her with this trip. Shots to follow, a whole pile of RAW files await me...

I also got up north for a kayaking trip. This one was in Door County Wisconsin on Lake Michigan in a wilderness park. It's like being in the middle of nowhere when tourist-land is only a couple dozen miles away. This shot is of a friend coming off of a wave he was surfing. Wish I had a better shot, it was a really fun area. Since it was backlit and my flash wouldn't come close to lighting him, I decided to turn this into a B&W silhouette. It's cropped quite a bit (happens fast and had a slow camera) and some other minor tricks in PS. This was the Olympus 720SW waterproof that I'm pretty impressed with.

Re: I've been busy too...

OK, playing with images is more fun than responsibilities, so here goes from California. I guess I was into themes, but the last one reminds me of one I took at the Chicago gathering a few years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've been busy too...-sf6.jpg   I've been busy too...-sf7.jpg   I've been busy too...-sf2.jpg   I've been busy too...-sf1.jpg  

The rest of the story...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've been busy too...-sf3.jpg   I've been busy too...-sf4.jpg   I've been busy too...-sf5.jpg  

Hey Steve,

Congrats on the 10th anniversary. I'm glad you got to enough the Napa Valley. It's a beautiful location, and one of my favorite in California.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Congratulations on your 10th Steve. There is nothing like a good woman to make life what God intended it. Sounds like you know how to treat her as well. I think my wife would faint dead away if was able to pull off a surprise like that. The California images are great. I love the shadow patterns and the corners shots, it would be hard to pick a favorite here. Nice job. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you trip.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    The rest of the story...
    Congratulations on your 10th buddy!

I love the sixth shot you posted. That one really jumps out and gets your attention. The others were nice too, but that sixth one...
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

That chair and windows shot is incredible.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thanks everybody. Speed, I'm guessing you're talking about the first shadow shot - it was taken in the courtyard of the same place that the other corner shot was done - a very busy winery in Napa. I do like wine but decided to forego another tasting in favor of getting a shot.

Sebastian, thanks! It was a handheld shot with my Sigma 10-20 probably out all the way or at least at 12. That's an extremely wide lens to handhold when you're trying to get angles to line up. I didn't do it perfectly (obviously) and moving the camera just slightly will make a big difference. There were 302 steps (yeah, they're numbered) to get down there after a half-mile hike. Now I wish I would have had the tripod and level but not when I was climbing all those steps!

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Wow Steve, you have a really great eye for patterns, textures, light, and lines! Beautiful shots, all of them!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I credit Chunk for a lot of that. Anybody heard from him lately? Thanks!

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I credit Chunk for a lot of that.
    Why? Was he there pushing the shutter?

No, I haven't seen him in a while. He might be in the middle of Nevada on his motorcycle.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Liz

Congratulations on your 10th Anniversary Steve! Your wife is lucky to have such nice surprises! I think you're both blessed to have a happy marriage. Thanks for sharing the good times with us.

I really like this set of shots - they're all nice, but these are my favorite. I love the patterns, and my favorite one is the window and the chair. Great composition on all of them.

Good to have you back......and posting pictures.

Liz

OK, playing with images is more fun than responsibilities, so here goes from California. I guess I was into themes, but the last one reminds me of one I took at the Chicago gathering a few years ago.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Congratulations Steve! I with Speed, I really like the first shadow image. They are all very nice, but that's the one that sticks out to me.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information