ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Smugmug

Smugmug

Anyone here use smugmug to run a business?

I've got a lot of questions regarding how it works regarding how they handle orders of prints in different sizes. Right now, when I order a print in a specific size, I crop it to the right aspect ratio, resize it to whatever ppi my printer requires, then I sharpen it, etc., so all the work is done by me and I know what I'm getting.

How does it work on smugmug? Can I upload the same pic in different aspect ratios for ordering in different sizes, or do you just upload one full size pic and they do all the back end work? If so, how good is it?

Thanks,
    BM
    Sony A700
    Sony CZ 16-80 F3.5-4.5
    Sony 50 F1.4
    Minolta 70-210 F4
    Sony F56-AM Flash

Re: Smugmug

I use smugmug for my personal photos, but not for business, that's a level above me. You are able to post pictures any way you want. You can post several sizes, or (as I do) you can simply post the largest, crop-able size. When someone orders prints via smugmug, the site checks the resolution and dimensions, allows the purchaser to crop the image, and warns if it will be a problem printing. Even at the "Power User" level you can control what sizes can be downloaded and printed. At the professional level, I think you can place watermarks on the displayed image, and, of course, you can charge your own prices for printing.

Hope that helps...
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

Re: Smugmug

Thanks, that actually is a big help. I was just left wondering and scratching my head on the whole cropping issue. I was looking at the photos for sale by one of their sample websites, and some of the different aspect ratios stated that cropping was required at checkout. I'd imagine that a pro especially would be pretty critical of how his photos (art) are cropped. A bad crop can kill a photo. Now imagine someone walking into some place with one of your photos on the wall, poorly cropped by the customer, and representing your work that way? I'm not cool with that...and I'm not a pro...

BM
    Sony A700
    Sony CZ 16-80 F3.5-4.5
    Sony 50 F1.4
    Minolta 70-210 F4
    Sony F56-AM Flash

Thread Information