• 05-23-2006, 09:40 AM
    Annie
    interesting technique question
    so i don't know if anyone has ever been to the MisShapes website (it's a club in NY), but in the photo section there are images of people inside the bar with streaks of light infront, behind, around them. The people are well-lit, so i assume a flash was used, but i'm not sure how the streaks of coloured light are visible infront of the subjects. Could it merely be the lighting techinques of the bar and circumstance that creat this effect, or is the photographer more involved?

here is a link to the website. some of the examples can be found in the photo section. you'll see what i mean: http://www.misshapes.com/#

thanks!
  • 05-23-2006, 09:50 AM
    another view
    Re: interesting technique question
    I looked at May 20, several rows down and saw what I think you're talking about - a girl with blue streaks of light all around her. That looks like flash with a very slow (1 or 2 seconds or more) shutter speed and light painting.

You would need to put the camera on a tripod and use manual exposure mode (or slow-sync on some Nikon cameras). The flash will fire to light the girl, have her hold fairly still and have someone else wave a small flashlight with a blue gel on it all over. That should get you somewhat close... It's probably so dark in there that she could even move out of the picture after the flash goes off (while the shutter is still open) and you wouldn't even be able to tell. Lots of experimenting... :)
  • 05-23-2006, 10:09 AM
    walterick
    3 Attachment(s)
    Re: interesting technique question
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie
    so i don't know if anyone has ever been to the MisShapes website (it's a club in NY), but in the photo section there are images of people inside the bar with streaks of light infront, behind, around them. The people are well-lit, so i assume a flash was used, but i'm not sure how the streaks of coloured light are visible infront of the subjects. Could it merely be the lighting techinques of the bar and circumstance that creat this effect, or is the photographer more involved?

here is a link to the website. some of the examples can be found in the photo section. you'll see what i mean: http://www.misshapes.com/#

thanks!

Heheh. This is a technique Photo-John used to use, I picked it up off of him and have been using it ever since. It involves using "rear-curtain" or "slow sync" flash, and waving the camera around like nuts before (or after?) the flash goes off. Here are some of my examples. It makes for geat party shots :)

GL
    Rick