• 05-09-2008, 02:03 PM
    photophorous
    Re: I'm looking for a good travel camera.
    I'll take the fact that no one has yelled at me yet to mean that you're seriously considering the idea of a 35mm RF, so let me plead my case a little further. :D

Nobody needs two different DSLR systems to keep up with. If you got a 35mm RF, you'd have a very different tool to compliment your DSLR. Voigtlander wide angle lenses will blow away any of the wide zooms for DSLRs, and they're tiny. If you decide you don't like it, you can sell it for practically the same price you pay.

Paul
  • 05-09-2008, 02:41 PM
    EOSThree
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dumpy
    What about an S5IS? I don't have any experience with one, but used an S2IS for several years as my primary camera. My impression of the S2IS is lot of manual control, very good IQ, decent lens (24mm on the wide side I believe) and a very functional IS. I'm assuming the S5 shares these attributes.

36mm on the wide side...
  • 05-09-2008, 03:17 PM
    MB1
    Rangefinder
    Quote:

Originally Posted by photophorous
    I'll take the fact that no one has yelled at me yet to mean that you're seriously considering the idea of a 35mm RF, so let me plead my case a little further. :D .....

Paul

Where would I find one?

How do you set the white balance and review the image? :D
  • 05-09-2008, 03:37 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Re: Rangefinder
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MB1
    Where would I find one?...

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtsys.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB1
    ...How do you set the white balance and review the image? :D

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/1...onversion.html :p

Sounds like a great trip you have planned. Looking forward to the pics :thumbsup:
  • 05-12-2008, 10:10 AM
    photophorous
    Re: Rangefinder
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MB1
    Where would I find one?

How do you set the white balance and review the image? :D

Sorry for my slow reply. I was busy shooting my RF all weekend at a friend's wedding. :D

Camera Quest is the main dealer for Voigtlander in North America, and they usually have the best prices for new stuff. Considering that RF equipment is solidly built and mostly mechanical, many times buying Used is the way to go. Check the Classifieds on RangefinderForum.com, or ebay, KEH, and the other usual suspects. If you're serious, send me a PM and I'll dig up more info on specific lenses. There are tons of used lenses available, and some of them are really great values.

White balance? Fixed at the printing or scanning stage. Image review? Not necessary. There's no mirror to block your view when the shutter opens, so you will know if you got the shot. If you've never looked through a RF viewfinder, you should find one and check it out.

Paul
  • 05-12-2008, 10:34 AM
    MB1
    I'm old enough to remember Rangefinders just fine.
    My first good camera was a Nikon Rangefinder purchased new (sure wish I had hung on to the thing).
  • 05-12-2008, 10:41 AM
    photophorous
    Re: I'm old enough to remember Rangefinders just fine.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MB1
    My first good camera was a Nikon Rangefinder purchased new (sure wish I had hung on to the thing).

Nice. I honestly don't know much about the Nikon RFs, because collectors have driven the prices through the roof. Supposedly they're great. You must miss it. You should replace it. :D
  • 05-12-2008, 11:24 AM
    Greg McCary
    The 15mm Voigtlander is truly an awesome lens.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/heliar/
  • 05-12-2008, 12:06 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    The 15mm Voigtlander is truly an awesome lens.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/heliar/

Hey Greg - if you're using that group, encourage them to post reviews here. Flickr groups are a great place to promote the site and recruit new people for the forums and reviews. And we need more reviews!
  • 05-12-2008, 01:14 PM
    Greg McCary
    Thanks John. I will. I posted one on that lens myself.
  • 05-12-2008, 02:37 PM
    Photo-John
    Olympus E-420 Preview Published
    My Olympus E-420 preview is live. Sorry it took a few days more than I expected. My previews are turning into mini reviews. I think I'm going to have to try to reign it in a little :rolleyes:

Olympus E-420 Digital SLR Preview >>

I hope the preview adds something useful to this discussion :)
  • 05-13-2008, 02:41 AM
    Desertdog
    Canon G9 or Nikon 8400 get my vote :)
  • 05-13-2008, 10:26 AM
    EOSThree
    Just got my G9. Pretty impressive looking little camera. It's smaller than my old G2, about the same size body as my S2 just not nearly as bulky, it's about a deck of cards and a half. The build quality is excellent all of the exterior appears to be metal, even the little door for connections appears to be metal! It feels like a little brick. The screen is beautiful, the viewfinder OK at best. Now I just need to get out and take some photos with it.
  • 05-13-2008, 11:28 AM
    MB1
    I'm popping for the 420 right now.
  • 05-13-2008, 12:08 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MB1
    I'm popping for the 420 right now.

What about the E-520? :rolleyes: :D
  • 05-13-2008, 01:14 PM
    MB1
    Don't make me have to break your lenses!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    What about the E-520? :rolleyes: :D

Now you tell me!?! :mad2:

Small and light is just right. :thumbsup:

BTW Am I gonna have to hang out in the Olympus Forum now? :eek:

BTW2 Adorama sold it to me with the 14-42 for $549.95
  • 05-13-2008, 01:17 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Don't make me have to break your lenses!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MB1

Yes you are, but we could use someone with your talent hanging there.
  • 05-13-2008, 02:05 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MB1

I couldn't say anything about it until today.

The thing about the Olympus E-System, is that it's all small and light. You got the smallest body. But it's the smaller sensor and lenses that really make the biggest difference. The 70-300mm lens is genius!
  • 05-13-2008, 05:08 PM
    MB1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    ..... The 70-300mm lens is genius!

Great but I have no use for telephotos. Macro and ultra wides are my passion.

When we get back from our trip I may look into what is available. And if Canon ever updates the 5D I'll need one of those. Is there a volume buying discount somewhere?
  • 05-13-2008, 11:50 PM
    Desertdog
    So did you go with the E-420 or 520? o_O
  • 05-14-2008, 01:12 AM
    WesternGuy
    Greg, I travel a lot and I take my 5D and my 16-35 L II and my 24-105 L and it always works for me. I really don't think you will notice the weight on a bicycle. IMHO, you will not regret it given the IQ of your 5D. My 0.02¢.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
  • 05-14-2008, 03:26 AM
    MB1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Desertdog
    So did you go with the E-420 or 520? o_O

The 420. The price was good, the size is good and it is not like it is going to be my primary camera-I really just bought it for this trip and may sell it when we get back.
  • 05-14-2008, 03:37 AM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MB1
    The 420. The price was good, the size is good and it is not like it is going to be my primary camera-I really just bought it for this trip and may sell it when we get back.

What lens did you go with?
  • 05-14-2008, 09:28 AM
    MB1
    Lens?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    What lens did you go with?

I went with the stock 14-42mm. I really like wide and this is just barely wide enough for my tastes but (as far as I could tell) anything wider was going to double the purchase price. If I decide to keep the camera as a back-up for my Canon system I guess I'll drop some bucks on on an Olympus 7-14mm.

The built in image stabilization of the more expensive bodies isn't much of an issue for me as I am comfortable shooting on a tripod and rarely shoot long.
  • 05-14-2008, 09:36 AM
    MB1
    My usual mode of transportation is bicycle.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WesternGuy
    ....I really don't think you will notice the weight on a bicycle. IMHO, you will not regret it given the IQ of your 5D. My 0.02¢.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

I usually carry the 5D with 3 lenses, a tripod, some filters and a bunch of accessories. I know I notice the weight. More to the point, we are riding our tandem for likely 1,200+ miles; half of the trip we will be hauling our clothing and such. Normally I would just bring a point-n-shoot but I want better quality images and more control.

So it is not like I will be downgrading from my 5D but upgrading from a Pentax Optio W20.