ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

ignorance is bliss...

I'm writing this with the bleary eyes of someone who's been working way too late into the night with photoshop!

I'm working on getting prints on the last - this is embarrasing - 2+ years of digital photos. This fall I finally made my first prints from digital and my first photoshoped images came for Christmas. Now it's time to catch up on all the rest.

I've found some tips on correcting photos both in help and on Luminous Landscape and I'm sure that once I get thru a few images I'll figure out a flow and how much to do but right now it's taking sooooo long. Not to mention the whole monitor and printer profile stuff.

Things were much easier when I did a white balance correction and cropped to print size...

Has anyone else gone thru this pain?

2k2s

Re: ignorance is bliss...

Ah, hours of any computer work can be horrible. The only computer spree I've had is playing Vice City the game. 14 hours with random pee and drink breaks while playing online during a school all-nighter. Yes, my mind was fried!

I guess I just don't print that much, with digital I usually archive or hand over CD's on jobs. With neg film, print making is someone else's problem ;) (obviously a little more to it than that).

I can relate from scanning slides though, and that's one thing that pushed me into digital capture for a lot of situations. The one thing I can tell you is that you do get quicker with any process. Try to notice what it is that's taking the biggest chunk of time, and try to reduce it. Even just getting more familiar with the whole process will help. If you're consistently fixing a specific problem, then maybe your method of shooting can be modified to fix it at the time of capture.

Unless you're under a deadline, maybe try not to do so much at once. This way, it won't seem like work.

Liz

Oh my goodness! Computer work! I don't like working on a computer AT ALL! It's difficult for me to do just a little post-processing.

You certainly have your work cut out for you. Wow! But, just think how you will feel when you've accomplished your goal!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by 2kids2shoot
    I'm writing this with the bleary eyes of someone who's been working way too late into the night with photoshop!

I'm working on getting prints on the last - this is embarrasing - 2+ years of digital photos. This fall I finally made my first prints from digital and my first photoshoped images came for Christmas. Now it's time to catch up on all the rest.

I've found some tips on correcting photos both in help and on Luminous Landscape and I'm sure that once I get thru a few images I'll figure out a flow and how much to do but right now it's taking sooooo long. Not to mention the whole monitor and printer profile stuff.

Things were much easier when I did a white balance correction and cropped to print size...

Has anyone else gone thru this pain?

2k2s

I am a little strange - I actually enjoy the computer work. I'm amazed with what can be done. I think with practice I'll eventually learn what an image needs and doesn't.

I've been working on a scene I shot at after sunset with fairly low contrast except for some lights (I should post, I think it's a pretty shot) so the first of the black/white point corrections I tried did horrible things to my image (IMO). I probably picked a difficult image to start with.

I'm sure it will get easier, but now I'm losing sleep since I'm spending 3 hours instead of the hour I planned at the computer!

2k2s

Thread Information