ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    DJM

I really need help!

I need to know what the standard is, or if there is a standard for signing images. When I take an image should I leave it the way it is, or will it hurt further sales potential if I stroke it with a black border in PS. If it does have a black border on the image can they crop that to publish it? Should I put a copyright on it, or can I just put my website address?? I understand when I do shoots that produce alot of images for my client I can not mark all of them. My question mainly is directed towards Fine Art and Stock images. Thank you for your responses!!!!!

Re: I really need help!

There are freeware programs that will allow you to add a watermark, and you can change the opacity so that it isn't really seen. I have seen some leave it transparent, but visible, and upon purchase, they send a file without the watermark (if e-mailing, or shipping cd). As for framed prints, I have mine matted and either print on the matte or have a small brass "plaque" made with the title of the piece, and my name on it. I have only sold a few,but that is the only way I do it, and never sell it without frame,etc. Of course the client can remove it, but you can use a simple contract reserving your rights, and prosecute if they make copies. There are supposed to be ways to change exif, or properties of files to help protect from theft. However, most people have skill to remove those if they are aware of those kind of things. Some of my clients have actually asked me to sign the piece with metallic inks (pens used for scrapbooking). Hope that helps

Thread Information