ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Liz

Lightbulb Rate the Ratings Option....what do you think?

I originally posted the following in Site Feedback. At PJ's suggestion I'm posting it here instead since Site Feedback is basically for technical feedback.

PJ is also interested in what you all think about the ratings option......

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on "rating" a post. You might have noticed that few posts are rated. When they are, sometimes I wonder from what standpoint.

Here are my personal thoughts about it: When people post a question, opinion or just a comment, I think it's important to them or they wouldn't post it. If someone gives them 5 stars, they probably feel good. However if they get a one star rating, they might not feel so great. Some people are more sensitive than others about the kind of feedback they get.

I like the idea of rating photos in the critique section along with the critique, but not sure I like rating what people post, especially in Helpfiles or Viewfinder where sometimes people post more personal information.

I'm just curious how others view the rating option. Now I know I'll probably get a one star rating on this post!

Liz
    Last edited by Liz; 02-24-2004 at 09:48 AM. Reason: typo

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

A bit vague...

While I see the value of rating a post, I also see it as automatically adding a competative element to the forums.

When I see a rating option for a post, in my mind that means "how helpful (or useful) was this post", but it can also be interpreted as a popularity meter.

I think this feature has the most potential of being abused (or misused) if we rate images in Photo Critique. Beginners who want to learn from mistakes may become quickly discouraged if they see all their posts getting LOW ratings.

Anyway, post "ratings" is not a feature I pay a lot of attention to, and it wouldn't really make much difference to me if we used it or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    PJ is also interested in what you all think about the ratings option......
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I think what separates this site from the others is the non-competetive atmosphere. I noticed the ratings option but have not used it. I definitely think that we should stay away from giving any kind of scores to images in the Critique section, as ratings and points do nothing but create hard feelings, harsh words, revenge ratings, etc. ... at least on other photo sites. Just my opinion.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Ratings.. Schmatings...

I don't really care about them. Especially if it is a critique. I have photos on another site where they have two things you can leave a rating on. Originality and Compostion
    Most of the time people will only leave a rating and NO COMMENT! I really, really dislike that!
    I just don't see a value in them on anything that is posted here.
    That's my two cents.
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Ghost
    I don't like them and don't use them. When someone "rates" a thread or post, it tells you nothing about why that eprson rated it the way they did unless they also posted text in the actual thread. And even then, you don't actually know which person rated the thread.

I think it's especially bad for the photo critique because it promotes not providing genuine, thoughtful feedback (constructing sentences using words and punctuation).

I guess I don't really pay attention to them. I don't think it's necessary to have ratings here, and can see how someone would get offended or discouraged from a low rating.

I'm leaning towards getting rid of them. I still think they might be useful on the Critique forum, as long as they're presented in right way. I wouldn't want them to replace real critiques. But anyone willing to post on the Critique forum should be able to take a little heat. That's part of the deal with publicly presenting your art.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I think an option might be..

To delete the ratings option (I see of little or no value here in VF, anyways) and instead place a "Preferred" or "Noteworthy" box next to a post you can click if you want to draw attention to it. That way a noteworthy picture or post can be highlighted by the community without placing a value judgement on it.

It could be "important," "good" or "noteworthy" but the only way of knowing is to look.

Just my thoughts.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Heat Yes. Ratings No...

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'm leaning towards getting rid of them. I still think they might be useful on the Critique forum, as long as they're presented in right way. I wouldn't want them to replace real critiques. But anyone willing to post on the Critique forum should be able to take a little heat. That's part of the deal with publicly presenting your art.
    The point of a critique, is to offer constructive criticism not a single number value.
    If we do that, I can see a lot of people just leaving a rating rather than leaving a constructive comment.
    I have seen it too many time on other "critique forums" and it just does not work.
    I see no point in a rating system.
    In all of the critiques I have ever been involved in, in college mostly, I have never seen a point system, it has all been a verbal exchange of how and what works in a particular photograph.
    I can take a the lowest of "ratings", but without the meat of a constructive criticism it does no good.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thread Information