I just cracked 600 posts!

Printable View

• 09-26-2004, 09:01 PM
    walterick
    3 Attachment(s)
    I just cracked 600 posts!
    Whew! I'm now a member of the 600 Club! Woo-hoo!

Here's some pictures from Richmond, VA. The first is of an eddy swirling from the flooded river near there (post-Frances). The second is of my boss's daughter Morgan playing with a tree in Pocahontas state park. And the third is a bear up-close through a chain link fence in Maymont park :)

Yes I am loco.

Rick
  • 09-27-2004, 04:36 AM
    natatbeach
    Must receive 100 demerits
    Demerit police! Demerit police! you bad bunny get 100 points off for being so close to a bear that could chew off your very handsome head and gnaw on your rather perky rump....BAD Bad!!!

cool shot never the less....

like the swirly water too!
  • 09-27-2004, 05:15 AM
    Speed
    Yes I am loco.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick
    Whew! I'm now a member of the 600 Club! Woo-hoo!

Here's some pictures from Richmond, VA. The first is of an eddy swirling from the flooded river near there (post-Frances). The second is of my boss's daughter Morgan playing with a tree in Pocahontas state park. And the third is a bear up-close through a chain link fence in Maymont park :)

Yes I am loco.

Rick

You weren't looking for an argument, were you?!!!

;-)

Great shots Rick. I'm with Nat - I like the swirling water, and the bear shot is too close for comfort!
  • 09-27-2004, 07:31 AM
    paulnj
    OK....now I am not 100% sure, but this BEAR was used to humans FEEDING IT! So the fence was stopping it from EATING food or HARMING Rick :)

BEARS are very AFRAID of humans unless they see them as a FOOD VENDOR :)

GREAT shots none the less
  • 09-27-2004, 09:41 AM
    Speed
    "BEARS are very AFRAID of humans unless....
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paulnj
    OK....now I am not 100% sure, but this BEAR was used to humans FEEDING IT! So the fence was stopping it from EATING food or HARMING Rick :)

BEARS are very AFRAID of humans unless they see them as a FOOD VENDOR :)

GREAT shots none the less

"they see them as a FOOD VENDOR :) "

Very true! I live next to the Croatan National Forest. It is a bear sanctuary. I've seen bears one year. They don't just roam through your back yard.

You left out something - it is very dangerous to feed a bear!

I saw the fence, and I knew Rick "should" have been safe - but things happen. Chain link fence has a lot of give in it.
  • 09-27-2004, 09:56 AM
    paulnj
    It is DANGEROUS for both THE BEAR and the HUMAN .

A FED BEAR IS A DEAD BEAR ;)

it is also ILLEGAL to FEED bears(or most other wild animals) on FEDERAL property and ILLEGAL to feed bears most other places too .

DUDE I got a ticket for feeding deer APPLES next to a APPLE TREE on STATE property 5 years ago(I think). A DEP ticket that cost me $125! But I got images of a 12 point buck with his rack INSIDE my TAHOE window.....HAHAHA

no negs to be found anymore, but SOMEWHERE I have a 4x6
  • 09-27-2004, 10:08 AM
    villenadecorte
    Nice pics Rick-
    Congrats on hitting 600 :) keep posting.
    dont loose a limb.
  • 09-27-2004, 12:10 PM
    natatbeach
    so it was girl deer?
    how was her rack? hope the ticket was worth it and you were able to explain it to Michelle...

..bible...

BTW I know the antlers indicate it was a male(just twisting your words)and sticking religion into it

:D :D :D sorry I couldn't resist....points well made on the bear thing for us city mice that wouldn't know better
  • 09-27-2004, 01:22 PM
    adina
    I saw on the news not that long ago that bear near developed areas are suffering from obesity. Not only are they eating food left by campers/hikers, that kind of thing, but they are venturing into the city/town and digging thru the dumpsters. Given that these days there are fast food restaurants on every corner, a majority of the time they are snacking on cheeseburgers and fries. As people continue to develop the land, the bears are running out of natural habitat.

Anyway, I like the water also. And the bear, well, that's closer than I'd like to be.

adina
  • 09-27-2004, 06:32 PM
    walterick
    Ack!
    Does that mean I am back down to 500?!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thank god there's a self portrait thread I'll be backup in no time :D
  • 09-27-2004, 06:37 PM
    walterick
    Well,
    I was going to scratch its head (it looked like it needed some wuv) but I thought better of it and just took some photos :D I might've been able to get away with it though.

He looked <i>very</i> used to people, Paul I'm sure he's fed by visitors nearly every day. He certainly got excited when I poked my 885 through the fence to get the shot - I assumed he thought it was food!

I'll go back with a film camera and a 50 1.8 to get a less-blurrier shot. Till then, I'll be practicing my reflexes :D Thanks all!

Rick