ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Changing Lenses in the Field, how do you do it?

I've got 3 lesnes, a 17-40 wide, a 105 macro, and a 28-300 zoom. I like to use them all, but I am pretty much an outdoor photographer, and I worry that switching lenses is getting my camera insides and lenses dirty with dust and debris. I brush them and wipe them off after each trip, but it can't be good to expose the insides to all the flying bugs, dirty, plant particles, hairs, fibers and whatever else.

So how does one go about switching lenses when on an adventure? Ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

And BTW, I dropped the Canon 17-40L today... cracked the UV filter... doesn't seem to have sustained any damage beyond that thankfully. All hail the filter. Then again, it was about 2 inches away from falling in the river instead of the rocky shore......
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Don't worry about it. If dust was an issue, they wouldn't let you switch lenses. I swap them out constantly. If dust collects on your sensor, cleaning it is easy. I'm lazy though, so I just clone it out when it's bad.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Sounds good to me. I'll just try not to drop the lens again. Technically it fell out of my vest pocket while jumping across a river.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Use your camera bag. If it's really windy and lots of debris like on a beach, I just flip the top of my bag open and do the change with most of the camera in the bag.

Otherwise I don't worry about it because the lens is never off the camera long enough to really get dust and dirt build up.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

With your back to the wind.

This might keep blowing dust from getting onto your camera. Also, keeping your camera high above the ground will minimize the number of things that can "jump" into it.

I'd personally say, fire away and don't overconcern yourself with dust if you're in the midst of shotting something wonderful. I'd hate to miss a shot because I was worrying about getting my stuff dirty
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thread Information