ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Question I have a new garden and this beautiful giant appeared today...anyone know what it is?

I haven't measured this yet...I bought this house 2 weeks ago and the previous (deceased) occupant was a master gardener...help me figure it out please!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: I have a new garden and this beautiful giant appeared today...anyone know what it is?

I asked some friends and they say it's a Hibiscus. One person said it makes a seed pod after the bloom falls off so don't pinch it off if you want seeds.They are perennial.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Re: I have a new garden and this beautiful giant appeared today...anyone know what it is?

Thank you for the response...I willdefinitely check out Hibiscus to see if I can find more info...I am estimating the bloom to be about 14" in diameter...never seen one that large!

actually here is the website where I asked and got the responses:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/commun...e=OPENDATEDESC
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Re: I have a new garden and this beautiful giant appeared today...anyone know what it

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Sue
    I haven't measured this yet...I bought this house 2 weeks ago and the previous (deceased) occupant was a master gardener...help me figure it out please!
    Hibiscus lasiocarpus
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Hi
    The flower looks like a Rose of Sharon. They come in single or double head and flower in late summer for me anyways. They have no fragrance but our quiet attractive.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

That's funny...

I suppose this would be a mystery in your part of the country.

In FLA Hibiscus grow like weeds. I've got about six different varieties in my garden. Beautiful flowers...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

The Rose of Sharon is a type of Hibiscus, it isn't a rose by any standard. Mine is approx. 8 feet tall. Going to have to prune it next year, grew too large. Go to google and type in rose of sharon for more info.
    Thanks
    By the way I do own a Hibiscus, it is a inside plant because it can't tolerate our winters.

I thank everyone who took the time to reply to my query...indeed, in my part of the country, the Hibiscus is a novelty rather than a common plant. I have since discovered that I have a second plant and this one is beginning to bloom in Fuschia and compliments the stark white of the first plant very well.

Thread Information