ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

I have just discovered George Zimbel

I've always been interested in B&W and hopefully start shooting in the next two weeks.

Someone at work posted up a ink to his work, stating some of it was quite old but very good. Needless to say, I was surprised. I love his work and the photo's he produces. I don't know much about photographers in general, but I do know that I like his work!

Just thought I'd share
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Sharing...

Can you share the link?
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!
    Twitter: @ponycargirl

Re: I have just discovered George Zimbel

Sure thing

http://georgezimbel.com/collection/n...tern-railroad/

He does have more than railway stuff, just click through his collection.
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Excllent!

Thanks for sharing that link, danic. That's great stuff. He has a great eye for details and wonderful timing.

Looking through the photos on that site I was struck by how few photos were actually sharp. But it doesn't matter. His content is strong enough that technical perfection isn't an issue. I believe that our current auto focus, high-resolution cameras make us think too much about the technical aspects of photography. To some extent, we as a group, have forgotten about content. Many classic black-and-white photos aren't perfectly sharp. It's a lot harder to get things perfectly focused when you are following a moving subject with a manual focus ring. Consider old sports photos. How many of them were actually perfectly focused or without any motion blur?

Just thinking...
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Re: Excllent!

Photo-John:
    Looking through the photos on that site I was struck by how few photos were actually sharp. But it doesn't matter. His content is strong enough that technical perfection isn't an issue. I believe that our current auto focus, high-resolution cameras make us think too much about the technical aspects of photography. To some extent, we as a group, have forgotten about content. Many classic black-and-white photos aren't perfectly sharp. It's a lot harder to get things perfectly focused when you are following a moving subject with a manual focus ring. Consider old sports photos. How many of them were actually perfectly focused or without any motion blur?

Just thinking.
    I'm so glad you said that. Recently I've been giving this type of thing some thought. Personally I've gotten too obsessive about sharpness/color - and finding the perfect cameras/lenses.

Walker Evans is one of my favorite photographers - I have the book "Walker Evans: Photographs for the Farm Security Administration 1935-1938" photographs for which he is so well known. This book includes some of my favorite b&w photographs. They certainly are not technically perfect and include "stuff" that if I were the photographer would have removed from the frame. BUT! as you mentioned, John, it's the content, the human element and human interest, and in this case history. They're intriguing - I can view them many times over tirelessly.

Danic:
    Thanks for the link - I'm going to spend more on it later when I return home.

Liz

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Ah, film
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

That is why...

...you should all shoot with Holgas more often.
    What a wonderful world of soft focus and vignetting it would be!
    Okay - going to check out Zimbel's photos now.
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!

Excellent, thanks

...the New Orleans series is pretty great too. I love Marilyn as well.
    Thanks for sharing, it's neat to see such a lifetime of good work.
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!

Re: Excllent!

Thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    ...Walker Evans is one of my favorite photographers - I have the book "Walker Evans: Photographs for the Farm Security Administration 1935-1938" photographs for which he is so well known. This book includes some of my favorite b&w photographs. They certainly are not technically perfect and include "stuff" that if I were the photographer would have removed from the frame. BUT! as you mentioned, John, it's the content, the human element and human interest, and in this case history. They're intriguing - I can view them many times over tirelessly...
    Funny you mentioned Walker. I just got a fantastic book of his work in today from the Aperture History of Photography Series...

http://www.amazon.com/Walker-Evans-A.../dp/0893810428
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Cheers girls and guys,

I'm just struck by his images and how he has turned an everyday scene into something special, for me at least

It has broadened my horizon on photography and I'm just itching to start shooting HP5.
    danic

RedBubble

Thread Information