ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Need some advice on b&w

As I have posted some of my b&w's on here, I want to do more in that area. But I am tired of getting just 400ISO at Wally World and taking it back there to them. Not that it isn't good; that is what the shots of the cabin were done on. I want something I can really work with even if it means sending it off to a lab. Which is something else I need advice on. I don't do credit cards (long story ) so I need a place I can send a check, or money order, to.

I know there are folks out there like Tuna who are wonderful doing b&w. I just need to get some info before I dive into this. One of the films I have been thinking of is Ilford's Delta 100.

Kam

Re: Need some advice on b&w

Quote Originally Posted by srobb
    As I have posted some of my b&w's on here, I want to do more in that area. But I am tired of getting just 400ISO at Wally World and taking it back there to them. Not that it isn't good; that is what the shots of the cabin were done on. I want something I can really work with even if it means sending it off to a lab. Which is something else I need advice on. I don't do credit cards (long story ) so I need a place I can send a check, or money order, to.

I know there are folks out there like Tuna who are wonderful doing b&w. I just need to get some info before I dive into this. One of the films I have been thinking of is Ilford's Delta 100.
    you may want to look at Scala 200ISO (also in 400iso). it's b/w slide film but i personally love it. the only problem, is i think there are only two labs in the US that process it, one in ny and one (or 2) in cali. the nyc lab is duggal, you can look them up on the web and check their policies, but i think they sell scala with prepaid envelope mailers to send it back in to them. there's also the kodak plus-x 125 b/w and their tri-x 320 b/w.

Thanks, kam. I may have to check out the 200 film. That is what I am really interested in is the slower speed films.

The delta is great! When I shot film, that was the black and white that I used. I've also used tri-x with pretty good results.

If you are seriously considering doing much more in black and white, you may want to consider learning how to process. Once my house is finished (read: years from now) and I have the time and space, I am going to look into processing as well. Your local community college probably has darkroom classes.

Also, if you have a local camera store that does processing, odds are they have a black and white lab that they can send out to.

Good luck.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

(Low bow in recognition of the Queen) Ahh, my lady, you grace us with your presence. Your humble servant thanks you for the royal advice you give us.

Thanks, Adina. I could not resist that. ;) Actually I have done some of my own processing, but that was many years ago when I was in the Army. I do love doing it, but at the moment, this old house of ours is in no shape to put in a darkroom yet. Living in a small town can have it's disadvantages, but Lexington is only about 30 minutes from here.
    So I have one vote for the Delta 100 at least.

I have been using Agfa APX 400ISO. But not sure if it's still on the market now. In fact I believe AGFA are pulling the plug on some film!!

It's been years since I shot B&W much. When I was working in Mt. Sterling at a newspaper I shot only Tri X and rated it at ASA 600. (See how the ASA rating dates me.) I do have a lot of experience processing in small bathrooms, it can be done. I was buying in bulk and rolling my own back then, still have the bulk loader and lots of film canisters.

IMHO if you are going to do B&W you process and print yourself or you find a good custom lab that will print to your specs. I have only shot Kodak B&W films (plus X and tri X mostly) however my son used a lot of Ilford in a UK photo class a couple of years ago and got excellent results. The only way your going to know is shot different films and see which one meet your needs and quality standards.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks, OT. Kodak was about all I shot when I was doing it myself. Not sure our lil bathroom would be dark enough to so it. Would really have to search out all the little cracks here and there. ;)

Right now, I am going to look at the Ilford Delta 100 and Fujifilms Neopan 100 Acros and see how they do for me. I hope to be able to find them locally.

Right now, I am going to look at the Ilford Delta 100 and Fujifilms Neopan 100 Acros and see how they do for me. I hope to be able to find them locally.
    Pretty sure you can get them at Murphy's on Winchester Rd.. My son ordered a brick form B&H when when was taking that class. It will keep a long time in the fridge.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

(Low bow in recognition of the Queen) Ahh, my lady, you grace us with your presence. Your humble servant thanks you for the royal advice you give us.

Thanks, Adina. I could not resist that. ;) Actually I have done some of my own processing, but that was many years ago when I was in the Army. I do love doing it, but at the moment, this old house of ours is in no shape to put in a darkroom yet. Living in a small town can have it's disadvantages, but Lexington is only about 30 minutes from here.
    So I have one vote for the Delta 100 at least.

It's good to be the Queen!

I shoot the occasional roll of Kodak Tri-X or T-Max 3200, or Ilford Delta 3200. I shoot these films just because they don't (to my eyes) look like digital capture. I have the high-speed films developed at a pro lab and they don't charge much for it, but the Tri-X I usually develop myself. From there, I scan the negatives. I don't do a whole lot of it mainly because it's a very time consuming process.

If you really want the best b&w prints that you can get, it seems that you're much better off if you do it yourself. It will take a long time to become a master, but it's a dying art and relying on a local lab probably isn't a good long-term idea. The only place who did custom b&w locally went completely digital, other than developing the negs. I could go to a couple (literally) places in Chicago, but that's going to get really expensive, really quick. B&W darkroom equipment is selling for nothing these days, and if I had the time to devote to it I'd probably get serious about it.

Everyone is probably going to tell you a different answer on your film question, because, for the most part, it's just personal preference. I've been using Kodak TMAX 100, and I like the fine grain. Tri-X is grainier, but good if you like the grain. I've heard good things about Ilford HP-5, but never used it. You might consider trying some Ilford XP-2, their C41 film. It can be processed anywhere, and the few times I used it, I liked it much better than Kodak's C41 film.

I recently started doing dark room work, and I must reiterate how much difference that makes with B&W. I know you said you can't do it, but you should seriously look into it if you haven't already. It may be easier than you think. I do film in my (window-less) bathroom with out any special precautions except, I do it at night only, with all other lights turned out in the house. Since all you have to do is wind the film on the reel and put it in the tank, it could be done in a closet. Once you do it a few times, it's quick and easy.

Good luck. B&W is a lot of fun.

Paul

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I have used Tmax and TriX and I like them both. Those are they only 2 B&W films I have used so I can't compaire them to anything else for you.

As far as the dark room goes, you don't need one, until it comes down to making your prints. You can get a changing bag to load your film on the reel and once it's in the tank, you can develope it standing in direct sunlight if you wish. Making your prints is another story tho. I plan on making some prints this afternoon. Another option is scanning your negs and printing them digitally, but that will require a film scanner if you don't already have one. Like someone else said, darkroom equipment is almost being given away so it wouldn't take much of an investment to get what you need. Good luck.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Long answer

The problem with black and white is the processing. As there's no standard processing if you send it of to a normal lab you may get just anything back. Chromogenic black & white (Ilford XP2 & a Kodak film whose name escapes me) is processed in standard colour chemistry and prints on standard colour paper but is often comes out with a colour cast. You're better doing it all yourself but it takes time, a darkroom, a certain expertise, etc.

Now the films:

Tri-X & HP5: gutsy, grainy, robust. Nice B&W feel
    Delta 100: fine-grained, contrasty, draws the image very well somehow
    TMax 100: softer than Delta 100, nice but don't like it as much
    XP2: grainless, lots of subtle mid-tones, quite different from classical B&W

Charles

Re: Long answer

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    The problem with black and white is the processing. As there's no standard processing if you send it of to a normal lab you may get just anything back.
    Exactly. There are an almost unlimited number of variables that can affect the final results. Many different film developers (the chemical) are out there, and then they're diluted to whatever strength you use them at. This amount can vary. Then there's the temperature - 68 degrees might work better than 75 degrees. And the agitation, which is turning the canister over at certain intervals (4 cycles at 30 seconds, 2 at one minute - again, lots of ways to do it). The list goes on from there, but this is part of the fun of it. I'm not an expert here, but chances are that the prints you've really been blown away by at galleries and museums weren't done "by the book" although that's the best way to get started. The key is to get a method down consistently, then change one thing at a time, so you know exactly what the result of the change is. After a couple hundred thousand rolls, you'll be in good shape!

I have to echo here what was said in another thread; there are just some awesome people on here that are so willing to give of their knowledge and experience. Thanks to all of you.

Larry, I called Murphy's Saturday and they do carry the Ilford Delta 100. It was too late for me to get up there then so I may do that this this week before turkey day. I do love b&w and have been really enthused by tuna and others on here with what they can do with it. As what used to be my sig on the board I was on before I found PR; when I grow up, I want to be like Ansel.

I have done my own b&w before, but that has been many moons ago. About 20 years, or so. Not sure how much it has changed, if any, since then. I will have to look into the pricing on some equipment to see what I may be getting into. Since I have decided against going digital at this time, that gives me the chance to get other things like a teleconverter and maybe another lens. Depending on the cost of equipment, it may even include some kind of darkroom.

www.bhphotovideo.com

best local camera store in my area! Wide variety of film, and anything else you might need.

Good luck!

Thread Information