ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Conflicting Loves?

When I first joined PR, I started a thread about mountain biking. It was refreshing to hear people's passion for it - you could feel it in their responses.

I was wondering how many times your love and passion for something other than photography got in the way of photographing something (that's a lot of repetition, but I think you get my drift).

I would love to hear or see your stories if you care to share them. I'll start with the photo of me at the end of my story: Hooked this guy just as the sunset was nearing its peak. I wanted to photograph the scene but it took me about 20 minutes to land him as my buddies (especially the one with the net) left me to try another pier. I ended up having to fight him all the way down to the beach and by the time I returned, subdued him, and got clean up, the scene was gone. I can tell you that all the while, I kept looking over my shoulder at the beautiful scene and the action of it all. Can't share the image that's locked away in my head
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Conflicting Loves?

Hey Loupey...nice catch!!! Both the fish and the sunset. Sometimes we just have to settle for our memories. Your story of how all of this unfolded is really intriguing and really adds to the photo!!! Thanx for sharing. As for interfering...I really don't have any stories yet, but there have been times when I preferred shooting my grandkids vs. shooting pictures of motorcycle clubs driving by when I lived on the highway. But, I think I made the right choice!!! I usually always shot the grandkids...even tho' occasionally I'd get the tail end of a bike as I would shoot the grandkids first then whip around and try to get the bikes...hehe...
    Great subject for a thread...it will be interesting to read some other stories!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

TTT
    Help.

Excellent catch.
    I've had the same thing happen - try photographing a party with a new camera, and mingling with the crowd at the same time.

Riding through beautiful country. Thinking photographically can be hazardous to one's health. Riding takes a high level of concentration to be safe and except for scenic pullouts I don't stop often for photography especially when I am pulling my camper.
    Here's a panorama I took while waiting for a storm to clear the road ahead in Rocky Mtn. NP.
    http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL22/5.../137844126.jpg
    ----------------------------

Good subject! I'm in to sea kayaking, and the guy I go on trips with is also a photographer so there isn't much of a problem there. When the wind and waves start building there is a lot of potential for great pictures. Problem is, you use the paddle for balance and letting go to take a picture is a bad idea. I've seen a well-known paddler do it and will have to try out his technique, but he used a Nikonos waterproof camera that doesn't have the lag time like my waterproof P&S has. Given the choice of playing in the waves (at least up to a certain size!) or photographing them, I'd rather be out!

Steve, I've been meaning to buy a kayak (just a recreational model) lately. Those wide versions seem like a fairly stable platform for shooting wildlife. Canoes and me, however, don't mix. Tipped over too many times to even think about bringing anything electronic on-board. When I was about 4 years old, my dad took me and my two brothers out on a canoe in a park in Japan. Something happened and we all fell in. My mother, who was witnessing the entire event from shore, said she almost had a heart attack and park rangers had to go in after us. The funny part is, when we all fell in, all the other canoists (is that a real word?) in the area went the other way fearing that we would tip them over as well. I picture that Dawn dishwater soap commercial that shows how a drop of soap makes the grease retreat

Chunk, I hear you about the traveling and photography. I've been disappointed at myself many times for seeing something potentially great while traveling but not getting it. I've always had "good" reasons like, I'm making great time - hate to ruin my average, or I'll stop there only my way back. For a time, I traveled extensively and didn't even have a camera on me.

TTT and Ken, I think you hit the nail on the head. Its the social and family time that does seem to get compromised. I know that when I put on my photographers hat at family/friends' functions, I tend to get too involved and forget to pay attention to my own family. I realized that not too long ago and stopped trying to make people happy by giving them free pictures (they were also getting too used to that service).

See my website HERE.

Just thought about something: How many of you male photographers have taken your gear with you to shoot the birth of your own child? Is that normal? Problem is, I did it - twice. Couldn't have been much of a breathing coach with a camera in between

For me, looking at what was happening through the viewfinder made it seem less intense.

Fear not, as I will not be posting any of those photos.

See my website HERE.

Not necessarily a good idea, Loupey. If problems develop, which they did, in the case of my wife, they would have quickly thrown me out, if I had had a camera. As it was, they let me stay to keep my wife calm during the emergency.

Ronnoco

Yeah, hospital administrators must be getting increasing worried about cameras in general. When my son was born in 1994, I was given full access to shoot stills and video (which I did both). When my daughter was born in 1997, they stopped allowing video, not because of the motion video aspect but because it records the conversation. I still shot stills though.

I have an artistic shot of the afterbirth

See my website HERE.

Hey Loupey,
    I just want to say, beautiful fish, beautiful shot. :^).
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Steve, I've been meaning to buy a kayak (just a recreational model) lately. Those wide versions seem like a fairly stable platform for shooting wildlife. Canoes and me, however, don't mix. Tipped over too many times to even think about bringing anything electronic on-board. When I was about 4 years old, my dad took me and my two brothers out on a canoe in a park in Japan. Something happened and we all fell in. My mother, who was witnessing the entire event from shore, said she almost had a heart attack and park rangers had to go in after us. The funny part is, when we all fell in, all the other canoists (is that a real word?) in the area went the other way fearing that we would tip them over as well. I picture that Dawn dishwater soap commercial that shows how a drop of soap makes the grease retreat
    A rec kayak can be a very good shooting platform to get you quietly into shallow water where birds like Great Blue Herons look for food. Since you're sitting almost on the bottom of it, the center of gravity is very low so they're very stable.

I'd caution you about a couple of things though. I get nervous about new paddlers this time of year because the water is so cold. Yesterday's paddle on a sheltered and shallow lake was on water that probably wasn't even 40 degrees yet, so I had a full wetsuit on just in case. With a cotton sweatshirt and jeans (I've seen people do it), I'd be a goner in a few minutes. Also, a boat like that usually isn't a good idea on the big lakes (Great Lakes for example) because the weather can change quickly. The long skinny boats are a lot of fun in big waves, but there's skill to it. I've been in some pretty tough conditions that came up quickly; plus they're not very good to photograph from. Want to see some crazy stuff (a little over my skill level)? Check out this trailer...

[QUOTE=another view]A rec kayak can be a very good shooting platform to get you I've been in some pretty tough conditions that came up quickly; plus they're not very good to photograph from. [QUOTE]

You haven't lived until you have had waves coming over the front of your yacht in a narrow channel, while on a collision course with a light, fast sailboat under extremely stormy conditions. Since I was busy, I couldn't shoot and operate the boat at the same time. Too bad!

Ronnoco

Tim, thanks for the compliments! Of course that fish was the only one I caught that day (and we started early in the morning). So the self-inflicted pressure was on for sure!

Steve, thanks for the info. No I don't think I would even attempt big waters in any kayak. Lake Erie is the closest of the Great Lakes to me and it is moody and unpredictable. I have gotten caught boating miles from shore trying to outrun approaching storms. A couple times, I thought I was going to lose the boat. One time in particular, the waves got to be 8' while I had my father, father-in-law, and my son on board. I stuffed the bow into one wave - scary. Stange how no one seemed to want to come with me anymore.

Anyway, one more shot. This one is from a resort off the Georgian Bay in Canada. I drive near 500 miles one way towing a boat to a peaceful place with all this beautiful scenery and I didn't take my normal photo gear. This one was taken with the wife's point-and-shoot.

Oh, want's with the Canadian mosquitoes? Evidently, you Canadians aren't feeding them enough or they just have a hankerin' for foreign blood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Conflicting Loves?-kayaks.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Oh, want's with the Canadian mosquitoes? Evidently, you Canadians aren't feeding them enough or they just have a hankerin' for foreign blood.
    The mosquitoes don't like us, Canadians after a while,...but Americans..yumeee!
    I even went into the Mexico jungle with some Americans and we were warned about mosquitoes. I didn't even notice any, but they drove the Americans crazy.

Ronnoco

Now that I think about it, the American mosquitoes love me too! There must be a sound biological reason why certain people attract mosquitoes more than others (note that I did not say flies ). Even in a group setting, I'm usually the only one that seems to get sucked. My friends think it's pretty funny - especially since I am mildly allergic to them and I get these huge welts without even scratching!

See my website HERE.

I'm an avid Portsmouth FC fan (football/soccer team for those outside the UK), but would never risk taking my camera to a game - it wouldd either get broken as I and other fans celebrate goals, or stolen at half time.

I have a conflict with golf. I love shooting wildlife photos with long lenses and see some of the most photogenic stuff on the golf course, but they through you out if you play slow, let alone set up a tripod!

Capt. Jon, from what they show over here about your football/soccer games, I can see why you might want to keep your gear at home. Stay safe, captain.

Lava Lamp, I've wanted to shoot golf but I'm intimated from seeing the pros blow a gasket (and for good $$$ reason) because their concentration was ruined by a photographer who is either too close or a split second too early. I bet sunsets on some courses must be absolutely spectacular.

See my website HERE.

Lava Lamp, I've wanted to shoot golf but I'm intimated from seeing the pros blow a gasket (and for good $$$ reason) because their concentration was ruined by a photographer who is either too close or a split second too early. I bet sunsets on some courses must be absolutely spectacular.
    As long as your a good runner to runaway from a guy with a club....

Though I photograph many things that I actually enjoy doing, I usually find ways to make both work and avoid conflict. Of course, sometimes I wish I had my camera in a situation and sometimes I wish I didn't bring it with me, but I guess that's the joy of photography.

One story I will mention is this. I love skiing/snowboarding and love it even more in the backcountry. Long story short, we had a great day of shots (definitely one of my favourite photo shoots in my "career"), and things started to get dark. We knew our way back, but ended up taking a little detour to cut down on time. We ended up on an edge of a valley, with our only way as down. Needeless to say, my backpack/camera bag was relatively wet already, just from the spray back and hitting tree branches. Well, since the enbankment was so steep, we all ended up throwing down our ski's and boards and jumped down the 15-20 foot ravine. Well, I was so concerned about wrecking my camera, I vastly overestimated my jump and put all my weight forward to make sure I didn't wreck my camera. That resulted in me going head first down a ravine It was fun though, and my camera made it through!

Just thought about something: How many of you male photographers have taken your gear with you to shoot the birth of your own child? Is that normal? Problem is, I did it - twice. Couldn't have been much of a breathing coach with a camera in between

For me, looking at what was happening through the viewfinder made it seem less intense.

Fear not, as I will not be posting any of those photos.
    Same here ... won't post those photos. But I was able to get two good shots out of about 10 attempts when my latest kiddo was born. The hard part for me was shooting left handed while holding the camera up at a high level. I just zoomed out and pointed in the right direction and did the best I could. As I mentioned, two came out very nicely. After the actual birth, I was able to step aside and get quite a few of my latest being clean and pampered by the nursing staff.

Once I start taking more pics of my hobbies ... mountain biking and raising my kiddos, there wil be more posts to this site.

STinGa

Jared, at least your friends had a great visual memory of your "descent". Sounds more like a Funniest Home Videos moment. Glad you and your equipment made it through OK.

STinGA, can I ask, where was your right hand (holding your wife's hand I assume)? I had both available. Hope to see your work soon (hobbies, that is).

See my website HERE.

Loupey,

The funniest home video moment actually came a few seconds later...my friend ran after his snowboard which was sliding down the valley and tripped and landed in a creek...it's mean, but c'mon Who wouldn't laugh!?

Thread Information