ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Unhappy I dropped my camera today. >.<

Well, I didn't really drop it. But I had it under the seat in the backseat in the car, and once I got out, my friend who was sitting next to me got out too. But on his way out, his foot somehow slid into the strap of the camera and it smashed on the ground. He then jumped up because he didn't really know what happened, which pretty much made him play hopscotch with my camera.

A couple of the corners are pretty dinged up, and the lens has problems with autofocusing in al servo now. Plus all the scratches all over my lens.

Thank god it was the 50mm 1.8 and not a more expensive lens. But god damnit. I just got this thing.

Also, I can hear a slight rattle inside the camera it self. I cant remember if this was there before. The camera works fine, too. So I dont really know what to think of it. Do any XTi users have this problem too?

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: I dropped my camera today. >.<

I'm not a Canon but I have dropped a thing or two. Get it fixed now, if not, it will be busted when you most need it next time.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

I hope your friend offers to pay for the cost of repairs. It would be the right thing to do.

Liz

I would get it checked out - either by a Canon repair center or a reputable camera repair center.

Liz

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Ouch.

I had a camera drop yesterday also while on assignment. The strap broke on the Canon EOS-1 that I was using with the 70-200L attached while on my shoulder. Luckily it dirt on the corner where the strap is supposed to be.

Lens is fine, but now the body won't autofocus or get any reading aperture info from any lens. Thank goodness I had a second body with me!
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

Ahh - the old "wish I had purchased damage control" moment . . .

I'm with MJS - get it looked at now, before you're going to need it most.
    OBie. Not Obi-Wan, just OBie.

Yep, this happened to me with my 2 week old A570 IS, I was working off about 4 hours of sleep, reflexively tried to catch a ball...wrist strap kinda slingshotted the camera into the pavement = broken, repairs would likely run more than the camera's worth, so I just bought a replacement right away, I'm saving the broken one for when it's out of warranty, for the discount with the upgrade program when another generation camera comes out to replace it.

Also gonna see what it would run for Canon to repair it for a spare or whatever. Time will tell.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Definitely get it checked now, my XT started acting funny a few weeks ago, locking up etc then it stopped so I forgot about it. Then pulled it out yesterday to take photos at an award ceremony fot my daughter and it won't focu. Don't get stuck with a non working camera when you most need it.

Thread Information