ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Liz

Ideas for winter photography???

During the winter months, my camera sometimes gathers a bit of dust for a couple of months. I would love to have more incentive and motivation to keep shooting all winter - it also helps during those last weeks in February.........waiting for Spring!

Some of my cliche' winter photo shoots include: Fresh snow scenes, landscapes, etc., Christmas season lights/decorations, ice-skaters, and inside people-pics.

I seem to lose my creativity in the winter - or maybe I'm too lazy to do the work!

I'd love to get some fresh ideas (I live in northern NJ). Thanks!

Liz

Re: Ideas for winter photography???

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    During the winter months, my camera sometimes gathers a bit of dust for a couple of months. I would love to have more incentive and motivation to keep shooting all winter - it also helps during those last weeks in February.........waiting for Spring!

Some of my cliche' winter photo shoots include: Fresh snow scenes, landscapes, etc., Christmas season lights/decorations, ice-skaters, and inside people-pics.

I seem to lose my creativity in the winter - or maybe I'm too lazy to do the work!

Liz

I live in Wisconsin, the majority of my winter photography consists of photos taken while under blankets.

Actually, I'm going to try to get to Red Arrow Park, which is where they set up the skating rink in Milwaukee. I've also got some other ideas for long running projects.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Winter is probably my favorite time to shoot, now that I live in "Snowy Wisconsin"...hehe...I love snowscapes, children playing in the snow, "falling" snow, christmas lights around the town, but gotta admit, I really miss the motorcycles, classic cars (especially convertibles), and all the things that go with spring and summer...so this post probably didn't help you much, but hopefully give you encouragement to enjoy the season, just for the sake of the season!!! :-)
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Wow... this is turning into a Wisconsin members thread!

I do most of my shooting during the winter as well, mainly because I seem to have more time to myself in the winter. My winter stuff usually consists of cityscapes, landscapes, people, and the like.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liz

Liz

FEED THE BIRDS and as payment they may pose for you ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Yep, I live in Wisconsin, too!

There's one winter shot I have wanted to get for years but I never remember until I see it without my camera. I want to get a lone, bare, stately tree, one with a great silhouette, standing alone in a snowy field with the jewel-toned turquoise/greeny/yellow sky of dusk behind it.

Other fun winter shots:
    - an urban park (not a child's playground) after a fresh snowfall
    - a slow-shutter-speed downtown city street after dark with glowing signs and lights piercing the darkness, and the ghostly shapes of people moving down the sidewalk
    - a light study of a long-exposure on a public building
    - public transportation from unique angles at dusk/night
    - urban shoppers waiting for the train/bus with all their packages

I'm sorry if these are all urban shots, but I'm quite uninspired by winter nature scenes.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Liz

Thanks everyone - I got some ideas - certainly more than I could create.

I think everyone posted is from Wisconsin except Paul and me. And Paul wants more bird shots.

I don't want to keep my new lens sitting around gathering dust. ;)

Liz

Thanks Liz for putting out this question. I was wondering what I can do over the winter months to keep going, as I'm new to this with my first digital camera. Now I have some ideals that I can go out and shoot. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Liz

I think Christmas time with all the decorations/lights, etc. is good incentive to get creative also. If you live near a big city, it's easy to find subjects by just walking around the streets. I love street photography, and there are always subjects around big cities that are interesting.

I think this year, I will also do more inside photography - which I'm not great at. My first subject with the 24-105 were flowers indoor with available light. They really looked good, and this motivated me.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV
    Thanks Liz for putting out this question. I was wondering what I can do over the winter months to keep going, as I'm new to this with my first digital camera. Now I have some ideals that I can go out and shoot. Thanks everyone for the tips.

That is the first time I have seen you post your NAME ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    That is the first time I have seen you post your NAME ;)
    First time I've seen it too! I just took a break as I'm still working in my office - and just finished signing a bunch of checks.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention........hmmmmmmmm....

Liz

I was planning on going out to Chicago this weekend and hopefully every weekend till the new year. I just want to go out and take a lot of pictures, really I want to take some of Marshall Fields since it is going to be getting a new name at the begging of the year, Macy's. I hope that I can get atleast some nice shoots during that time, and of the city/people in general.

I don't know if it can be done here in the States, but I had some success taking my camera into a couple of small, quaint restaurants in London and shooting a few long-exposures. There were no people in the shots, but the combination of ambiant light, shadowy wall decorations and wine glasses on the tables made for a really neat shot in one case, and in the other I placed a decorative flower vase in front of the Christmas lights in the windows, which came out pretty cool.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

I can't make that mistake.... ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

My suggestion...

Liz, I always find that a few ocean palm trees gently swaying from a balmy breeze and painted in the golden glow of the warm setting sun makes a fun winter shot. A few bikini-clad maidens gently feeding warm crab puffs to some friendly gulls only adds to the...

Oops! Guess I'm describing what winter's like down here, heh heh.

Nevermind...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Hey Steve, that's just wrong....... but to would be cool to live there at least for the winters..

Thread Information