I *DID* buy a D70 today!!

Printable View

• 12-03-2007, 11:56 AM
    deckcadet
    Re: I *DID* buy a D70 today!!
    Congratulations! Welcome to the 21st century! Please be aware that your meal replacement pills will be arriving at your matter replicator terminal shortly!

:)

Seriously though, the D70 was my first DSLR, and has a very special place in my heart. We still have three in constant use at Gulliver, and they've held up very well over the years.

I think you'd still get pretty good landscape results from it if you use the right lenses and settings.

Good plan on the D3 and D300 down the line, but keep an eye out for the much rumored "D3x" with 17+MP :)
  • 12-03-2007, 12:06 PM
    photophorous
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Just don't think I would go back for 35 SLR work again.

Manual focus 35mm SLR gear is dirt cheap. I just got a razor sharp 50/1.4 for $18. At these prices you can have different kits for different purposes. I'm building a manual focus SLR kit strictly for landscapes. The RF is still my favorite, but you can't use a grad ND filter with it.

Paul
  • 12-03-2007, 12:33 PM
    another view
    Quote:

Just don't think I would go back for 35 SLR work again.

To quote him yet again... I like the idea of trying out a rangefinder (my Canon just doesn't seem to be the one for me) some day and do have a 35mm SLR but I'm not sure I'd run out and buy one either. If you're developing your own film, you might as well have a big trans or neg to work with. MF equipment can be inexpensive these days, and the per-shot cost isn't much more than 35mm. Different, and slower, method of working - not for everyone.
  • 12-03-2007, 12:35 PM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Axle
    Welcome to the darkside.

I'm looking forward to returning to the darkSLIDE. It's fun to torment Rick. :D
  • 12-03-2007, 02:45 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    To quote him yet again... I like the idea of trying out a rangefinder (my Canon just doesn't seem to be the one for me)

What I would love to do is find a vintage Leica at a very reasonable price and you could bet I'd be loading some B&W real quick.
  • 12-03-2007, 02:49 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

What I would love to do is find a vintage Leica at a very reasonable price and you could bet I'd be loading some B&W real quick.

Define reasonable...LOL Been seeing lots of good prices on iiic's and iiif's. That what you are after?
  • 12-03-2007, 02:58 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Define reasonable...LOL Been seeing lots of good prices on iiic's and iiif's. That what you are after?

I'm not really sure what I would be willing to pay. Point me in the right direction. Maybe it's not to late for Santa.
  • 12-03-2007, 03:07 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Well, from watching Ebay, you should be able to find a good condition (cosmetically and mechanically) one, with standard lens, for $500 - $700. A little less if it needs a CLA or is in "fair" cosmetic condition.
  • 12-03-2007, 05:53 PM
    adina
    Rick if you are already going digital you may as well shoot RAW, better to start learning digital with it than to relearn when you switch from JPG.

I noticed a huge improvement in final images when I switched to RAW, the only thing we use JPG for is our rinky dink Elph
  • 12-03-2007, 07:18 PM
    Greg McCary
    Welcome to the digital world Rick and congrats. Digital cameras certainly have plenty of benefits as you will soon see. Enjoy.......
  • 12-03-2007, 07:45 PM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    Rick if you are already going digital you may as well shoot RAW, better to start learning digital with it than to relearn when you switch from JPG.

I noticed a huge improvement in final images when I switched to RAW, the only thing we use JPG for is our rinky dink Elph

Heck yeah, 100% approval here. There is more chance of saving a bad shot, but don't think of it that way. There are more options with the shot later - think along the lines of MF vs 35mm negatives. Well, the same except different. :)
  • 12-04-2007, 01:48 AM
    walterick
    Thanks Tim for all the great advice. I am using PS Elements at this point, so RAW is currently out of the question. I will have to look into using Nikon capture. And that's funny about needing to correct the D70 I did notice with the 2 shots I took that they needed a bump right out of the camera :) Geez I hope I don't get tired of that any time soon.

Where's my stash of Portra NC...
  • 12-04-2007, 01:53 AM
    walterick
    "if you are already going digital you may as well shoot RAW, better to start learning digital with it than to relearn when you switch from JPG."

No no no I WON'T I WON'T I WON'T!!

- kicking and screaming on floor -
  • 12-04-2007, 02:07 AM
    deckcadet
    You really should shoot RAW, what with your long film experience. While JPEGs are nice and all, RAW is the way to go especially on the D70 whose JPEG engine is somewhat out of date.

The D70 does expose to preserve highlights, so if you want to compensate for this, either dial in exposure compensation, or download a custom curve (e.g. FotoGenic Point & Shoot 0.5EV was my favorite) that will boost your curve in camera for better results.
  • 12-04-2007, 06:26 AM
    Axle
    Yes, shoot RAW. Upgrade your Photoshop! or just find a way to get Adobe Lightroom
  • 12-04-2007, 06:42 AM
    Speed
    I am using PS Elements at this point,
    "...so RAW is currently out of the question."

I have PS Elements 2.0 and 5.0 and both of them will process RAW files. 5.0 is great, but you can only process one file at a time.

"I will have to look into using Nikon capture."

I've never used Nikon Capture, but I have a friend who uses Adobe Bridge, and it's a very nice program.

"Geez I hope I don't get tired of that any time soon."

Grab the asprin, because it does become tedious. Get a program that will let you process multiple files at the same time. (Like Adobe Bridge)

"Where's my stash of Portra NC..."

Amen brother!!! I've still got some Porta NC around my house!
  • 12-04-2007, 06:54 AM
    adina
    Geez...what a baby.
  • 12-04-2007, 09:33 AM
    photophorous
    Download this RAW Converter
    Hey Rick,

Before Pixmantic was bought out by Adobe, they made a very good free RAW converter called Rawshooter Essentials 2006. It was discontinued and never updated for new cameras (because it was incorporated into Adobe Lightroom), but I use it for my D70s and I think it's a great program. I just did a quick search and it seems you can still download it here:

http://www.download.com/RawShooter-E...l?tag=pdp_prod

It won't work when you get a newer camera, but it will work great with the D70. I highly recommend you download it soon, even if you think you won't use it until later. It might not be available for long...who knows. If this link doesn't work, and you still want a copy of it, let me know.

Paul