ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

How would you travel?

I know you might be inclined to direct this to another forum but given its general nature (neither DSLR nor help nor digital cameras) I think it fits here nicely.

Ok so here's the question. You've got a ticket to the Netherlands where you'll be spending a week. You'll be doing heavy walking and hiking. It's going to be midwinter so it's going to be cold and rainy. The next week you're going to travel through France and Switzerland through snowy and temperate areas. To top it all off all your photography stuff is limited to a bag-- a bag that you're going to have to lug around during all that heavy walking. Your luggage is a roller suitcase and that's it. Keep in mind no extra equipment is allowed!

So what's your setup?

My arsenal:
    1 Nikon D200
    10 8GB CF cards
    4 Nikon D200 Batteries
    1 WT-3 Wireless Transmitter
    1 MB-D200 Battery Grip
    1 SB-800 External Flash
    1 SB-600 External Flash
    1 Sigma 15-30EX f/3.5-4.5
    1 Tokina 12-24 f/4
    1 Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8
    1 Nikon 300mm ED-IF II VR f/2.8
    1 Nikon 70-200 f/2.8
    1 Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    1 Gitzo Basalt three section pod
    1 Arca Swiss Ballhead
    1 Cokin "P" filter set (ND's, Grads, and colour filters)
    3 Circular Polarisers (to fit my lenses)
    1 Lowepro MicroTrekker 200 Backpack
    1 Lowepro Vertex 200 AW
    1 Leica M4 (I would prefer not to shoot film)
    1 Leica Noctilux f/1
    15 Rolls of frozen velvia, kodachrome, and some Ilford BW 400 films
    1 Nikon 10.5mm fisheye (don't have it yet but soon )

Arsenal for non camera stuff I might need:
    1 Helly Hansen Odin Technical Softshell
    2 Surefire Z2 Combatlights
    1 Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean
    1 IWC Pilot Chrono
    1 Victorinox V7
    1 Set Leki Carbon fibre trekking poles
    1 Swiss Army Knife

And a bunch of other stuff but I'm set in that regard

What would be in your bag? Restrictions: I must be able to carry the stuff combined in my bag on a long walk. It has to be usable-- that is to say I'm not traveling with a supertelephoto alone or a fisheye alone (although I do have a convincing argument for the latter). You pick the bag it goes in. We'll see if you guys on the forum know how to travel light !

My picks: Nikon D200. 4 Batteries. 3 8GB CF cards. 50mm f/1.4. I might also buy the 24mm f/2.8 to go with it. All in the Lowepro MicroTrekker 200. And I'd stick a surefire, my coat, and my victorinox (did you actually think I'd travel with an IWC ?)

I'm asking both hypothetically (to see how people travel) but also because I'm in this situation .
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Re: How would you travel?

id take the d200, however many cards/ batteris you think your use/need- not sure if youll get to recharge etc. one fo the flashes... prob 600, unless your doing alot of indoor work, if lots of indoor shots the 12-24 if not the then 17-35, and def the 70-200
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan8i
    id take the d200, however many cards/ batteris you think your use/need- not sure if youll get to recharge etc. one fo the flashes... prob 600, unless your doing alot of indoor work, if lots of indoor shots the 12-24 if not the then 17-35, and def the 70-200
    Well either you are an olympian or you haven't seen the 70-200. It weighs three and a half pounds without the hood or the tripod bracket. Going on a day long walk through town with that thing will probably twist my vertebrae out of shape. The 12-24 might be a good choice, for snapshots it gives me a useful angle. Its construction is rather "professional" so it's heavy for its size so I'll probably have to put it in my bag instead of around my neck. The 17-35 is a nice midrange lens on a crop body like my D200 so that's always a possibility.

ive seen the 80-200, is the 70-200 vr THAT much bigger than it? 3 pounds isn't much in a bag though. also remember im more in to nature shots than anything, and hate when i can't get those far shots i want.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Me? How would I travel? I'd sell the D200 and use the money to buy a smaller M-mount 50mm and probably a 24 or 28mm to go with it. I'd take the M4, two M-mount lenses, and a bunch of Tri-X. No worries about charging batteries or filling up memory cards. Extra film is available all over Europe. It doesn't get much smaller or lighter than that.

Paul

Unless you are going to shot night photos, I would take my zooms. Or you may consider just getting a 18-200mm zoom.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    Me? How would I travel? I'd sell the D200 and use the money to buy a smaller M-mount 50mm and probably a 24 or 28mm to go with it. I'd take the M4, two M-mount lenses, and a bunch of Tri-X. No worries about charging batteries or filling up memory cards. Extra film is available all over Europe. It doesn't get much smaller or lighter than that.

Paul
    That's actually an interesting suggestion (although I wouldn't sell my D200 ). The Noctilux is actually not too big for a 50mm, AND it's f/1 so you can imagine what sort of DOF havoc I can create with that thing. I don't think I'd be getting the 24mm f/2.8 (I'd need to sell a D3 to buy that ) but the 28mm is a possibility since it's extremely compact. I could bring along some Tri-X, Velvia, and Ektachrome (which would cover most of my needs) except there's the whole issue of spending near $200 on film for the trip and more if I want to get anything drum scanned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan8i
    ive seen the 80-200, is the 70-200 vr THAT much bigger than it? 3 pounds isn't much in a bag though. also remember im more in to nature shots than anything, and hate when i can't get those far shots i want.
    It's somewhat bigger, yes. You might have seen the AF-D 80-200...not the AF-S. The VR circuitry add some size+weight to the thing. True three pounds isn't TOO much in a bag but remember that it's not a really versatile lens and thus I'll still need stuff for a wider angle.

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    Unless you are going to shot night photos, I would take my zooms. Or you may consider just getting a 18-200mm zoom.
    Actually I have an 18-200 (forgot to list it ). That was my first thought; however, even though the optical quality is decent, I am going to be out in the afternoon and low light abilities would be quite welcome since the D200 doesn't perform like a D300 in low light. Of course, I could always tote the M4 w/ noctilux around too.

When I travel, I like to travel lightly. Two Canon cameras, at the max. One lense for each, a tripod, and polarizing filters for each lense, and a hand held GPS unit, and more camera batteries than I want to know about and 3 cards.

I prefer to travel alone. I don't like others waiting while I take my time or have them make me feel guilty because I'm back tracking or going to areas that are overly taxing for companions or not wanting to settle down early or just not coming home, while I wait for the right conditions. If I don't travel alone, the photography suffers. I travel for the photography mostly.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 05-30-2008 at 02:38 PM.

My standard gear

D200 + 18-200 + 2 batteries + SB800. That's what I'm taking to London next month for a wedding (okay I might take the D300 instead).

You need have space for papers, guide books, spare clothing in just ONE bag that is not too big to carry around in cities and on public transport. Forget the big lenses - they just get in the way.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

With your D200, I'd take the 17-35mm and 50mm. Perhaps get a wide-to-short tele zoom.

Interesting thread because I too am getting ready for a major trip and I've been paring down my equipment to the bare minimum in preparation.

What about a portable memory card reader? I have a Sanho 120GB coming next Monday to try out.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

For me it would be the camera, spare battery, couple of cards, 12-24 and the 70-200. For low light situations and because it is light the 50mm would also come along. Some type of light weight camera support. Of course it depends on what type photography you enjoy for me it means I would need some type of close up equipment probably a tube or two.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    With your D200, I'd take the 17-35mm and 50mm. Perhaps get a wide-to-short tele zoom.

Interesting thread because I too am getting ready for a major trip and I've been paring down my equipment to the bare minimum in preparation.

What about a portable memory card reader? I have a Sanho 120GB coming next Monday to try out.
    I'm actually considering this combo. The 50mm is incredibly versatile and for those other moments I need a wider angle the 17-35 fills the job nicely without leaving too much of a gap.

I checked out the hyperdrives and I must say that they look so good I might just order a 60GB version.

Thread Information