ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Millenium Park, what we were allowed to see...

DSL712, HBT, myself and John, another friend of ours, decided yesteday to head downtown and shoot Millenium Park. Most areas were closed off due to an event for those who funded the park, but we spend some time at Crown Fountain.

-Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

As always, good eye...

Must be fun having a dynamically lit city to play around in at night. Really makes me miss Miami...

It looks, though, that some of the lighting pushed your exposures to the limit. I was just thinking the other day about the digital technique of shooting multiple frames with seperate highlight and shadow exposures, then combining them in photoshop to artificially compress the contrast range of a scene.

I think some of the spots you shot would be great places to try that...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I *love* the last one. The color is exquisite! And the spotlights give it a ghostly feel.

Where is Milennium Park? I've been to Chicago quite a bit, but I just can't place it.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Must be fun having a dynamically lit city to play around in at night. Really makes me miss Miami...

It looks, though, that some of the lighting pushed your exposures to the limit. I was just thinking the other day about the digital technique of shooting multiple frames with seperate highlight and shadow exposures, then combining them in photoshop to artificially compress the contrast range of a scene.

I think some of the spots you shot would be great places to try that...
    Great mind think alike I guess...took multiple exposures of all of them in RAW. Problem is, they really lose the impact when the xposure is balanced. I prefer the blown-out look, it has much more of the effect of seeing these things in person IMO. Plus, the change color, so every exposure had a different hue to it. It made compositing the different exposures LESS than ideal...
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I *love* the last one. The color is exquisite! And the spotlights give it a ghostly feel.

Where is Milennium Park? I've been to Chicago quite a bit, but I just can't place it.

It just opened earlier last week, that's probably why you can't place it.
    -Seb

My website

Quote Originally Posted by prbowhay
    Dear Sebastian:

These photographs are very well done. I love the high tech lighting mood and all the geometry going on in each shot. You've captured the place beautifully!

Thank you for sharing these excellent pictures.

Best to You,
    Penny
    Penny,

As always, thank you. I I just need two more things, 1 tilt-shift 24mm, and a 15mm fisheye...
    -Seb

My website

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Cool!

Good Stuff Seb!
    Where is this at?
    Very Colorful!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Good Stuff Seb!
    Where is this at?
    Very Colorful!
    Brian
    Thanks Brian. It's in Chicago.
    -Seb

My website

Ahh, the tilt-shift lens. I was going to post a question here if anyone had one.

*IF* I take my photography more seriously, I should invest in one, because I do a lot of travel photography and I think it would make my building shots worth taking.

Ahh, the tilt-shift lens. I was going to post a question here if anyone had one.

*IF* I take my photography more seriously, I should invest in one, because I do a lot of travel photography and I think it would make my building shots worth taking.
    Hehe...unless you make money off of it, such a specialized lens would be difficult to justify. I have wanted one for as long as I can remember, but 1100 bucks for something that I can't make pay for itself is VERY hard to swallow. Even for me, I can justify ANYTHING...
    -Seb

My website

Tis true, tis very true.

My "holy grail" lens is the new EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM. But, like you, I can't justify $2500 for the "convenience" of not having to change lenses.

So I console myself with the thought that it's probably too heavy to carry around, anyway... :-)

BUT, I can dream...

Tis true, tis very true.

My "holy grail" lens is the new EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM. But, like you, I can't justify $2500 for the "convenience" of not having to change lenses.

So I console myself with the thought that it's probably too heavy to carry around, anyway... :-)

BUT, I can dream...
    Personally, I don't know if the performance justifies the cost:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...n-28-300.shtml

Like with all super-zooms, two sperate lenses would probably give you better results, and would cost less. The 70-200 IS with the 17-40 would cost less, be faster, wider, and are optically excellent.
    -Seb

My website

Liz

Cool Looks like

you guys had a great time.

I enjoyed viewing your photos. I LOVE the 2nd one. I've viewed it several times and see more to love each time. The lighting is perfect....I like the figure walking in front of the building - and the effect of the water especially where he is walking. You framed it perfectly - figures on the right, water spray both sides. Excellent composition IMO. Wow.

I like them all - my 2nd favorite is the last one.

Did I tell you how much I like No. 2?

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    DSL712, HBT, myself and John, another friend of ours, decided yesteday to head downtown and shoot Millenium Park. Most areas were closed off due to an event for those who funded the park, but we spend some time at Crown Fountain.

Last edited by Liz; 07-26-2004 at 03:15 PM. Reason: forgot to add

Hanging out with the guys on Saturday

Haven't had much time to post. But been shooting more than ever. Here are a couple that caught my eye.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Can't decide

Can't decide which one I like better. Any thoughts? This girl was having so much fun, spinning and dancing near the water.

I could have shot a whole roll...uh...I mean CF card on her.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Damn D-Rock, the spotlight, the columns and the last shot of the girl are amazing. I was at John's last night and he showed my some of his shots and we all came away with such varying views. I hope he posts some soon.

I haven't seen anything from Hieu yet, but I'm hoping him and John post something.
    -Seb

My website

Dude,

After I saw your shot number four, I almost didn't post anything. Sharp with movement all in one image.

Dennis

larry and I were awestruck

especially the one of the kids and the lighting...nice work Mister.
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

All great shots. I've been hearing reports about the park on WGN. It sounds like lots of people like it. Any shots of "The Beam" ?

Quote Originally Posted by dsl712
    Dude,

After I saw your shot number four, I almost didn't post anything. Sharp with movement all in one image.

Dennis
    At ISO 1600, f/2.8 and with IS on, otherwise it would have been a blurry mess. I tried to get kids splashing in that thing all night, they never cooperated.

That spotlights shot is awesome.
    -Seb

My website

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    especially the one of the kids and the lighting...nice work Mister.
    You told Larry about me?! I was afraid this would happen, what's the next step? Marriage counceling? Before you go further, consider the children, they need a father...

In the end, I'm just a meaningless internet fling. Do what's right, please, don't take my feelings into account, as hurt as I may be, I will get over it, eventually...

Just messing.

Thanks for the kind words! I've never struck myself with awe, maybe I should try that at my next masochist meeting?

I need coffee...
    -Seb

My website

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    All great shots. I've been hearing reports about the park on WGN. It sounds like lots of people like it. Any shots of "The Beam" ?
    I think Dennis got an awesome shot of the "Beam," but I think you mean the "BeaN." The sculpture titled "Cloudgate" is a big bean-shaped metal piece with a mirror finish. It reflects the skyline in really cool, distorted ways.

Infotunately, I do not have any shots of it. The area where it's located was closed to us common folk while those that paid for most of it partied their rich asses off. My timing, being typically bad, brought me down there when they were celebrating those that funded the park. I really need to go back there and shoot it though. They are soon polishing it to the point of being seamless, and I want some shots of it still with the seams, just for the hell of it...
    -Seb

My website

I think Dennis got an awesome shot of the "Beam," but I think you mean the "BeaN." The sculpture titled "Cloudgate" is a big bean-shaped metal piece with a mirror finish. It reflects the skyline in really cool, distorted ways.

Infotunately, I do not have any shots of it. The area where it's located was closed to us common folk while those that paid for most of it partied their rich asses off. My timind, being typically bad, brought me down there when they were celebrating those that funded the park. I really need to go back there and shoot it though. They are soon polishing it to the point of being seamless, and I want some shots of it still with the seams, just for the hell of it...
    Thanks for the correction and explanation. I understand that they had to plant trees to keep the reflected glare from bothering drivers on Lakeshore Drive or some other road.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Thanks for the correction and explanation. I understand that they had to plant trees to keep the reflected glare from bothering drivers on Lakeshore Drive or some other road.
    I forgot the smilies in the rpevious post, but I'm sure you know I was just teasing you in that little "eplanation." I really don't care what you or anyone calls it, I just wanted to play with Dennis's beam shot and make a bad pun...I apologize.

Anyway, I can totally see the trees being put there for that reason. These things are BRIGHT. And with the water relfecting off of them, at the right angles it's just a flood of light. As you can see in the shot of the two kids splashing, the car inbetween them is very visible. This is located right off of a busy street.
    -Seb

My website

I forgot the smilies in the rpevious post, but I'm sure you know I was just teasing you in that little "eplanation." I really don't care what you or anyone calls it, I just wanted to play with Dennis's beam shot and make a bad pun...I apologize.

Anyway, I can totally see the trees being put there for that reason. These things are BRIGHT. And with the water relfecting off of them, at the right angles it's just a flood of light. As you can see in the shot of the two kids splashing, the car inbetween them is very visible. This is located right off of a busy street.
    I understood and I do appreciate your correcting my misunderstanding. I didn't think you were rude or anything - sorry if my reply gave that impression. The tree planting that I heard about was specifically for the Bean because the polished concave surfaces were concentrating sunlight and zapping driver's vision. Looks like I'll have something more to look at if I get down to look at the Seurat exhibit at the Art Institute in the next few weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information