ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

How many people have used large format?

Since the volume of my photos have gone down, I gave my D200 to my wife. I want to concentrate on fine art nature/landscape and commercial photo aspects.

I've been toying around with the ideal of large format and wanted to know if anybody has ever used one. I'm planning on renting a camera in a couple of weekends on a day trip to Yosemite. I would rent it for this weekend, but since tripods are not allowed in Union Station it didn't make sense.

Just curious, and please no flames because I'm not using digital.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Re: How many people have used large format?

I used to have a large format press camera. I used it quite a bit for a while. But I found it too slow and cumbersom. The ROI of the larger film didn't make up for the lack of flexibility and speed. I found that 6x7 was an excellent compromise. I still think that 4x5 delivers better quality than digital - unless you're talking about medium format cameras with digital backs. Then I think the digital is better. Especially if you consider the portability and flexibility of the medium format / digital systems. Charlie Cramer, one of my favorite photographers ever, has been experimenting with digital backs to replace his large format camera. There is an article on Luminous Landscape about him, Michael Reichman, and Alain Briot (I think), taking medium format cameras with digital backs to Zion, instead of their large format cameras.

Hope you don't think that was a flame. It wasn't meant to be. Just something to consider

I do think you should try large format, if it interests you. At the minimum, you'll learn something new and get to play with some cool new equipment. But like I said, I don't think the benefits of the larger film outweigh the awkwardness and slow speed of the big camera.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

It's definately a whole different world. I really enjoyed working with 8x10 view camera that I used to have. Like PJ was saying though it is slow and cumbersome. Setting up for one or two shots at a time. Great for people who really work hard to get that one good shot. Me, I'm more like shoot a hundred shots and get two or three good shots...and not work so hard.

I had 24 hour access to a darkroom back then and making 8x10 prints by contact printing was sweet. Not to mention 8x10 slides look pretty much unbelievable on a light table.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I have used large format - years ago. I used a view camera - 4x5 - in college. (As well as an 8x10.) It takes a little adjusting, but the large negatives are soooooo sexy. It's a much slower picture-taking process than even medium format, but it's always nice to slow down. Good luck, and I can't wait to see images.

Quote Originally Posted by berrywise
    I had 24 hour access to a darkroom back then and making 8x10 prints by contact printing was sweet. Not to mention 8x10 slides look pretty much unbelievable on a light table.
    Being able to make your own 8x10 or 11x14 contact prints would make it worthwhile, I think :-)
    Photo-John

4x5 vs Digital - The Article

Here's a link to the article by Charlie Cramer, on Luminous Landscape.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/Cramer.shtml

For what it's worth Charlie is one of the photographers I respect the most. I worked with him a lot when I was a printer and he has a very good balance of practical and the artistic. He was one of the first large format landscape photographers I know to make the switch from traditional printing to the LightJet. And he's also one of the most subtle and sensitive landscape photographers who's work I've had the opprotunity to see. He is a wonderful photographer and one of the people who's opinion I absolutely respect.
    Photo-John

drg

I have a 4x5 Sinar that gets used about one week a year on average. It is primarily in the arsenal for all of the motions it can make. It gets used for big stuff like interiors and building facades.

For me, LF is a state of mind and I usually don't shoot anything but LF for the time I'm doing it. I may make two dozen exposure a year. Yes, 24 or less photos a year with the camera. I had a Horseman that recently was sold as it was wanting to warp and the bellows was going. I'll miss that monster.

Many years ago I had a B&R 8x10 that I picked up for a song and had rebuilt. With Polaroid B/W film, it produce some astounding images from a pre WWII Zeiss-IKON lens with a COMPUR shutter. I'll see if I can dig up a scan of one of the images (the originals are now argon sealed). Large transparencies from these cameras is truly unbelievable when you get them right. With tripod this thing weighed in around 60 pounds with the lens!
    I even had a genuine horse hide hood!

A few suggestions:

1. Use a very familiar film. Shoot the same film, if possible in a 'known' camera (35mm or MF will work) for comparison.

2. As its a rental, stay away from the extremes of shutter speed, particularly the faster ones. Dry fire the shutter about a dozen times so that at least your exposures will be consistent. Copal style shutters get sticky due to their physical size. It's not the blades usually, its the spring and retarder that drag or bind.

3. Meter, Meter, Meter. And then guess (only partially kidding). Spot metering can help, but also really mess up your photo unless you are a real Zone type of guy.

4. And yes F16 or greater when possible. May depend on the lens but the whole point of this is to get the most out of the experience.

5. If you can get a Polaroid proofing back, particularly for your first time out, it might really be worth it to see how the lens performs at different apertures.

6. Handle your film as if it wasn't in a light safe environment. Extra bag or two, keep your body between the sun and your carriers, etc.

Are you going with someone or on your own? Have a great time and will eagerly wait images!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

I happen to own a Speed Graphic 4x5 that I inherited from a neighbor several years ago. I haven't really used one for nearly 35 years. I found them just too cumbersome. But each to his own. No one can argue with some of the historic images recorded on large format equipment. I say knock your self out. Play with it enjoy yourself and see if it is something that is for you.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I had a Graphflex 4 by 5 view camera. It was stolen, but I was given a 3 1/2 by 5 Speed Graphic clone with a Carl Zess Lense, and then I got a Speed Graphic type 4 by 5 with a butch of stuff, both really haven been used.

I have a negative of the royal gorge, you can tell the makes of the cars on the bridge.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I used an LF camera, back in college in!
    I say go for it Loren.
    I remember experimenting some with an 8x10 camera and a 4x5 lens.
    Good Luck and Have Fun!
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    For me, LF is a state of mind
    Image quality and perspective correction options aside, I think you'll probably get different images just because you have to slow down so much. I've only played around with one once. A friend has a 4x5 and took me out with a Polaroid back just to see what it did. I learned a lot. I could see getting into it, but it's the logistics of film that keep me from doing it. There is a local lab that develops sheet film (or at least used to) but it's C41 or b&w only. I've seen 8x10 transparencies and they're amazing.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Yes, same for me - back on college.
    I was on a science degree and did a Photgraphy module to get an easy credit ;)
    The detail on the 8x10 was astounding, but took so much studio time to set up !
    It is defnitely for a different kind of photography, no good for track action...
    Go for it - aand post some results please,
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

From the looks of ebay today, it looks like there's still a pretty healthy demand for equipment - at least 4x5. I've looked at it from time to time and it doesn't seem to be any different now, unlike 35mm and medium format film gear. So - apparently a lot of people are still shooting it!

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    From the looks of ebay today, it looks like there's still a pretty healthy demand for equipment - at least 4x5. I've looked at it from time to time and it doesn't seem to be any different now, unlike 35mm and medium format film gear. So - apparently a lot of people are still shooting it!
    That's for sure... I'm trying to get a hold of the Toyo View 45A or AX, and it's been pretty hard to get one used that's in good shape.

I'm pretty sure I'll have one by my trip to Glacier in September, but it's pretty easy to find medium format, but not lf.

Thanks to everybody who responded...it sounds like a lot of people have given it a go..

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

If you can afford it, go for the 8 x 10 for the contact prints. Nothing beats them.:thumbsup: IMHO, 4 x 5 contact prints have excellent quality but they're generally too small for viewing easily. I've always been disappointed in a 4 x 5 enlargement - compared to the 4 x 5 contact print quality.

And definately rent or borrow a LF so you know what you're getting into before buying.
    "Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire." - Reggie Leach

Thread Information