ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Hot & Muggy

  1. #1
    mooo...wooh hoooh! schrackman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    1,963

    Hot & Muggy

    I don't know what the weather is like every where else, but here in Banning it got to 109. Yesterday, I went to Palm Springs where it was 115 and today it hit 120! It's an oven out there, folks! Not only that, but the humidity is crazy. You get out of the shower and 2 minutes later you feel all sticky again.

    We've also had some great electrical storms. Last Saturday night a storm rolled through and the lightning was flashing one after other. Didn't have my camera with me either!! And then this week we've already had rain showers 3 times, which feels great!

    These were shot yesterday of the Morongo Casino as I was making my way back from Palm Springs, around 1:30pm. Couldn't resist the big cloud backdrops.

    So, what was your temps today? And did you get out and shoot despite the heat?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hot & Muggy-morongo-casino.jpg   Hot & Muggy-morongo-casino2.jpg   Hot & Muggy-morongo-casino3.jpg  

    Ray O'Canon
    Digital Rebel XTi Digital Rebel Canonet GIII QL17 Agfa Parat-1

    The liberal, socialist politician's nightmare: "What a comfort to the farmer to be allowed to supply his own wants before he should be liable to pay anything, and then only pay on his surplus." - Jefferson to Madison on Taxes,1784

    My Canonet GIII QL-17 photos on flickr.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Dylan8i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Yellowstone NP, USA
    Posts
    1,878

    Re: Hot & Muggy

    today hit 104 in moab ( where i'm livign for the summer) and now you know how the east coast feels for humidity... my parents said last weekend was almsot 100 degrees and 100 % humidity in pittsburgh.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/



    Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.



    Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

  3. #3
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Mineral Point, WI, USA
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: Hot & Muggy

    We were only in the mid to upper 70's here today. We were HOT and HUMID for the last week and a half or so. Lots of rain on Thurdsay and Friday this week so that helped cool things down. Last weekend my lens kept fogging up on me as I sat and waited for the sun to come up. This morning, I got a little chilly and if felt great!!!
    Mike

    My website
    Twitter
    Blog


    "I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

  4. #4
    Fluorite Toothpaste poker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,056

    Re: Hot & Muggy

    It was plus/minus 110 up here in the San Fernando valley. It was windy as well with clouds as nice as in your shots. The freaky parts were the lightening storms south of us. Due to all the trees in the neighborhood, I didn't try to shoot it unless I drove out for it.

    I had my camera with me all day but the heat made everything so uncomfortable.

    Awesome shots by the way...
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

  5. #5
    mooo...wooh hoooh! schrackman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    1,963

    Re: Hot & Muggy

    Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    We were only in the mid to upper 70's here today. We were HOT and HUMID for the last week and a half or so. Lots of rain on Thurdsay and Friday this week so that helped cool things down. Last weekend my lens kept fogging up on me as I sat and waited for the sun to come up. This morning, I got a little chilly and if felt great!!!
    Care to share some of that cool weather down here? Sounds great right now!

    Ray O'Canon
    Digital Rebel XTi Digital Rebel Canonet GIII QL17 Agfa Parat-1

    The liberal, socialist politician's nightmare: "What a comfort to the farmer to be allowed to supply his own wants before he should be liable to pay anything, and then only pay on his surplus." - Jefferson to Madison on Taxes,1784

    My Canonet GIII QL-17 photos on flickr.

  6. #6
    mooo...wooh hoooh! schrackman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    1,963

    Re: Hot & Muggy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan8i
    today hit 104 in moab ( where i'm livign for the summer) and now you know how the east coast feels for humidity... my parents said last weekend was almsot 100 degrees and 100 % humidity in pittsburgh.
    104 is still hot, but I'm surprised it's not hotter there this time of year.

    And yes, it can get quite humid on the east coastm, but 100%? Wow. The weather here has actually reminded me of when I was in the Philippines a few years ago in January. In fact, despite the temperatures I haven't even had to water my grass because of all the humidity! It's staying nice and green all on its own. I guess that's a plus side to all this weather we've been having.

    Ray O'Canon
    Digital Rebel XTi Digital Rebel Canonet GIII QL17 Agfa Parat-1

    The liberal, socialist politician's nightmare: "What a comfort to the farmer to be allowed to supply his own wants before he should be liable to pay anything, and then only pay on his surplus." - Jefferson to Madison on Taxes,1784

    My Canonet GIII QL-17 photos on flickr.

  7. #7
    mooo...wooh hoooh! schrackman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    1,963

    Re: Hot & Muggy

    Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    It was plus/minus 110 up here in the San Fernando valley. It was windy as well with clouds as nice as in your shots. The freaky parts were the lightening storms south of us. Due to all the trees in the neighborhood, I didn't try to shoot it unless I drove out for it.

    I had my camera with me all day but the heat made everything so uncomfortable.

    Awesome shots by the way...
    Wow, that is hot for the Valley, Eric. I don't recall it getting that hot when I was living there.

    By the way, I was looking at your gallery and trying to figure out where that tunnel was shot. For the life of me it doesn't look familiar, although the terrain looks exactly like what you see off the I-5 as you pass the 14. If I remember correctly, there is a tunnel off the old road that parallels the 14 just north of the I-5. A marker for it is there on the side of the road. Could this be the tunnel? This is close to the road that leads to the old oil pumping facility. My wife and I drove around that place one time just exploring and were chased out by the police. I believe they've got it all closed off now, which is too bad because now that I think about it, it would make for some great b/w photography.

    Ray O'Canon
    Digital Rebel XTi Digital Rebel Canonet GIII QL17 Agfa Parat-1

    The liberal, socialist politician's nightmare: "What a comfort to the farmer to be allowed to supply his own wants before he should be liable to pay anything, and then only pay on his surplus." - Jefferson to Madison on Taxes,1784

    My Canonet GIII QL-17 photos on flickr.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Dylan8i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Yellowstone NP, USA
    Posts
    1,878

    Re: Hot & Muggy

    Quote Originally Posted by schrackman
    104 is still hot, but I'm surprised it's not hotter there this time of year.

    And yes, it can get quite humid on the east coastm, but 100%? Wow. The weather here has actually reminded me of when I was in the Philippines a few years ago in January. In fact, despite the temperatures I haven't even had to water my grass because of all the humidity! It's staying nice and green all on its own. I guess that's a plus side to all this weather we've been having.

    yeah, i was expecting it to be hotter out here to, but the all time highs are only around 110-115. that is air temp to, once you get out in the canyons with the reflection and heat radiation from teh red rocks it can be from 130-150, so says my boss i've never measured it, but i believe it. but i don't mind it better than the humidity i grew up in.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/



    Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.



    Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

  9. #9
    Fluorite Toothpaste poker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,056

    Re: Hot & Muggy

    Quote Originally Posted by schrackman
    By the way, I was looking at your gallery and trying to figure out where that tunnel was shot. For the life of me it doesn't look familiar, although the terrain looks exactly like what you see off the I-5 as you pass the 14.
    This tunnel is in Malibu Canyon. Take the 101 north and exit Las Virgines and head south. It's the best way to get to the beach in my opinion. You'll end up in Malibu of course. I'm waiting for better skies to take more shots over there.

    I've always wanted to explore Santa Clarita near the 14 and the 5 fwy. I went off roading there once years ago. It's good looking place but hotter than San Fernando Valley.

    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

  10. #10
    mooo...wooh hoooh! schrackman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    1,963

    Re: Hot & Muggy

    Ah, now I recognize it! Yes, been through there many times and it is the best (fastest) way to the beach. Sometimes we would take Topanga Canyon but I never did like that way as much, especially if you got behind a slow moving car.

    You should investigate the tunnel I was talking about. If you take Balboa north from the valley turn left onto the old road (parallels with the I-5) and go a mile or two, then turn right onto Sierra hwy. The historic marker for the tunnel is somewhere on the right side of the road (I believe there is a fence there too, but it is unmaintained and open last I saw). If you pass the old oil facility you've gone too far. Though I've wanted to I've never taken the time to go down there and check it out. But it might be a good photo op for you if you ever have the chance. I've uploaded a map to show you where it is if you don't already know.


    Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    This tunnel is in Malibu Canyon. Take the 101 north and exit Las Virgines and head south. It's the best way to get to the beach in my opinion. You'll end up in Malibu of course. I'm waiting for better skies to take more shots over there.

    I've always wanted to explore Santa Clarita near the 14 and the 5 fwy. I went off roading there once years ago. It's good looking place but hotter than San Fernando Valley.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hot & Muggy-tunnel-map.jpg  

    Ray O'Canon
    Digital Rebel XTi Digital Rebel Canonet GIII QL17 Agfa Parat-1

    The liberal, socialist politician's nightmare: "What a comfort to the farmer to be allowed to supply his own wants before he should be liable to pay anything, and then only pay on his surplus." - Jefferson to Madison on Taxes,1784

    My Canonet GIII QL-17 photos on flickr.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •