Holga!?! What's that?

Printable View

• 09-11-2006, 03:20 PM
    mtbbrian
    Re: Holga!?! What's that?
    Did you guys see that one of my Holga photographs was selected as the Featured Photo in the galleries for last week?
    :D
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
  • 09-15-2006, 12:14 AM
    pixielurve
    Hi, I'm new here. Reason I joined this thread is because I just bought a Holga Starter Kit from here and I think this thread is gonna be very very useful! :)
  • 09-15-2006, 07:00 AM
    photophorous
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pixielurve
    Hi, I'm new here. Reason I joined this thread is because I just bought a Holga Starter Kit from here and I think this thread is gonna be very very useful! :)

Welcome to Photography Review! There are a lot of knowledgable and friendly people here, so don't be affraid to ask questions. Have fun with your new toy!

Paul
  • 09-15-2006, 09:37 AM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Welcome Pixie!!
    We have lots of room for one more Holga photographer!
    I know the kit you bought, it will be a great start!
    Make sure you check out all of the other forums at least once, as well as the galleries.
    Brian
    Holga Rocks!
  • 09-17-2006, 06:39 PM
    pixielurve
    wow! thanks for the heartwarming welcome! I'll go check out the other forums and galleries now.
  • 09-17-2006, 07:03 PM
    LoudPicture
    Hey everyone. I am extremely interested in purchasing one of these cameras. However, im not sure exactly how i go about developing this film. How exactly does this work?

Thanks!

-dan:)
  • 09-18-2006, 08:09 AM
    photophorous
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LoudPicture
    Hey everyone. I am extremely interested in purchasing one of these cameras. However, im not sure exactly how i go about developing this film. How exactly does this work?

Thanks!

-dan:)

Hi Dan,

If you're talking about getting it developed somewhere, you'll just need to take it to a professional film lab. You won't be able to get it done at drugstores or walmart, and it will cost a little more, but it's done the same way as 35mm. Do you develop you're own? If you do 35mm B&W, then 120 is done the same way. You just need a big enough tank and a 120 reel. You use twice as much of the chemicals as with one roll of 35mm, because the reel is about twice as big.

Did I answer your question?

Paul
  • 09-18-2006, 01:43 PM
    LoudPicture
    I dont know, im not big on the whole professional film developing, its incredibly expensive, and from what ive experianced, it never turns out well...How expensive/ difficult is it to just develope your own?
  • 09-18-2006, 02:52 PM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

I dont know, im not big on the whole professional film developing, its incredibly expensive, and from what ive experianced, it never turns out well...How expensive/ difficult is it to just develope your own?

You'll need all the chemicals, developer, stop bath, fixer and a Photo Flo(The Kodak name for it, can't remember the generic name for it), a tank and reel (120 size), and a way to wash and dry the film. You'll need a totally dark place to roll the film on to the reels.

I'd recommend you look at www.jandcphoto.com or http://www.freestylephoto.biz/e_main.php for chemical prices, they'll be your best bets.
    Unless of course there is a great photo store in your area. I would assume there would be in the Philly area.

The biggest challenge in devloping film, if you have never done it, is rolling it onto the reels, in total darkness.....:eek:
    I take it you are shooting b&w then? If you shoot color, I would recommend you take it somewhere.
    Any other questions?
    Brian
  • 09-18-2006, 02:55 PM
    LoudPicture
    useless post. delete?
  • 09-18-2006, 02:59 PM
    mtbbrian
    Check http://www.freestylephoto.biz/e_main.php, I don't know if they sell 'kits", but they might..
    Good Luck!
    Brian
  • 09-18-2006, 11:42 PM
    pixielurve
    I know this sounds dumb... but

May I know what's the difference between Lomo and Holga? They're technically the same?
  • 09-19-2006, 09:06 AM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

I know this sounds dumb... but

May I know what's the difference between Lomo and Holga? They're technically the same?

The Lomo only shoots 35mm film.
    And it has a few more controls, more shutter speeds and f/stops, I believe.
    Plus, the Lomo costs way more than a Holga.
    I think they go for about $150, for that you could buy five to 10 Holgas!
    Brian
  • 09-19-2006, 12:32 PM
    LoudPicture
    Ive heard and seen that you can buy Polaroid backs for the Holgas. Im really very interested in doing this. Does anyone know where you can buy one? Ive looked everywhere.
  • 09-19-2006, 05:01 PM
    megan
    I've got one, they are a lot of fun. Try Freestyle - scroll down:
    http://www.photographyreview.com/HTL_90crx.aspx
  • 09-19-2006, 05:54 PM
    LoudPicture
    I looked at freestyle and didnt see it, but maybe i missed it, has anyone else a clue of where i could find a polaroid back for the holga?
  • 09-20-2006, 07:58 AM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Ive heard and seen that you can buy Polaroid backs for the Holgas. Im really very interested in doing this. Does anyone know where you can buy one? Ive looked everywhere.

I would recommend you look at www.holgamods.com for a Polaroid back.
    They aren't being made anymore, from what I understand and Randy is doing what he does to them so they work with a Holga.
    Good Luck!
    Brian
  • 09-20-2006, 01:39 PM
    LoudPicture
    Broken Link? :confused: :confused: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin:
  • 09-20-2006, 01:48 PM
    photophorous
    Quote:

Just missing a slash...try this:

http://www.holgamods.com/
  • 09-20-2006, 01:54 PM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Fixed!
    I would suggest you email Randy to see if he has any avaialble still.
    Brian
  • 09-20-2006, 07:24 PM
    freygr
    Quote:

Black and white developing is not costly and is a straght forward process. But color you have to be more precise with the timing and temperature, and there are many more solutions and steps ( and chemicals). Unless you plain on scanning the color negatives, no digital color printing is an artform! I never could afford a color head for my enlarger. I my self find the labs do a good job of developing the film, the problem is their printing!