ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Angry The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Horror of all horrors! Disney has made a movie version of The Hitchhiker's Guide, and it's coming out May 6! Having grown up on the original version, and knowing the care with which Disney does everything (hahahahaha!!! are you kidding?), I am dreading its upcoming release. Any other outraged Douglas Adams fans out there?

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Repeat after me:

The answer is 42
    The answer is 42
    The answer is 42
    The answer is 42
    The answer is 42
    The answer is 42
    The answer is 42
    The answer is 42
    The answer is 42

And all will be well

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

It may be a travesty or it may not. I'll see what others say while hoping for the best. I too saw the original make and have enjoyed it but I wont pass judgement till I have seen it myself. However I will admit this much, I too am worried that its going to be steaming pile of disney crap.

cheers
    P.

hahaha.. My 42nd post.. hmmmm
    "You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it. ~Author Unknown"
    PAULSVEDA.com
    My Blog

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dzerzhinski46
    Horror of all horrors! Disney has made a movie version of The Hitchhiker's Guide, and it's coming out May 6! Having grown up on the original version, and knowing the care with which Disney does everything (hahahahaha!!! are you kidding?), I am dreading its upcoming release. Any other outraged Douglas Adams fans out there?
    The "work in progress" review for the movie has been slashdotted...

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...tid=97&tid=214
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Ranter and raver.

No, horror was the live action version from the early 90s (??) by the same folks that gave up Dr. Who. I, fortunately, have blocked out most memory of it.

The one I remember is the 1981 version, with the cheap effects, and Peter Jones as the Book. A classic. The radio version was pretty funny too. So much for the sacredness of British humor.

Dzerzhinski

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hm. Until this thread I thought it was just a series of books. I had no idea they already had a movie!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Lotr?

Okay - the concept of the LOTR trilogy outraged a few of my hardcore fan friends, but most of them ended up liking it, though a few refused to see it. I loved it, in spite of the fact that they edited out the whole Tom Bombadil chapters and a few other things. So if it was anyone other than Disney doing Hithchiker's Guide, it may actually have had a chance of being good. Then again, I read in the papers that Disney is working hard to create more adult, grittier films. So this jury is still out on it being blasphemy! As long as they leave "Red Dwarf" alone, I'll be fine, Apollo 9...

BTW, did you know that there is going to be a Monty Python broadway show? What is the
    world coming to, I ask you?

Megan

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Lotr?

The world is not coming to its senses, that's for certain
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    Okay - the concept of the LOTR trilogy outraged a few of my hardcore fan friends, but most of them ended up liking it, though a few refused to see it. I loved it, in spite of the fact that they edited out the whole Tom Bombadil chapters and a few other things. So if it was anyone other than Disney doing Hithchiker's Guide, it may actually have had a chance of being good. Then again, I read in the papers that Disney is working hard to create more adult, grittier films. So this jury is still out on it being blasphemy! As long as they leave "Red Dwarf" alone, I'll be fine, Apollo 9...

BTW, did you know that there is going to be a Monty Python broadway show? What is the
    world coming to, I ask you?

Megan
    "Oh no, not again..."
    I thought Monty Python had finished all their tours and everything? I don't know though, it is Monty Python, so it can't be too bad, if the originals are in it. Are they?

Actually, I found out that Disney is just distributing it, Spyglass Films is making it. Apparently they are using the script Douglas Adams finished for it several years ago, before he died. So, here's hoping. Maybe they won't mess it up.

I think Red Dwarf is probably too zany for American audiences. Let's hope it stays that way.

Rick, Hitchhiker's actually started out as a radio series, then the books, then became the 1981 TV series (Peter Jones, Simon Jones, etc), all written by Douglas Adams. I think the books are actually the best version that Adams came out with, though the radio was pretty hilarious too. Hope this enlightens.

Dzerzhinski

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Hitchikers, Blake's 7, Red Dwarf, Dr. Who -- all alive and well at various times on PBS.
    Aaron

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain

I'm reserving judgement until I see it. I'm quite excited about some of the casting. Martin Freeman from The Office (if anyone hasn't see this series you need to go rent the DVDs...NOW), Bill Nighy, Stephen Fry, Sam Rockwell. Love them. As the review on AICN said, I've heard they've skimped in places, so I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but we'll see.

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thread Information