ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Traveling Red Gulch Road

After 3 years of trying, I was finally able to travel Red Gulch Road near home. I work summers far from home and by the time I get back the road is unreliable. 3 years ago I started to the road in light snow with gray skies, not too promising for photos, but maybe a little scouting. By the time I reached 6000 feet I was in a full on blizzard on a dirt road turning to mud and snow, I turned around when I nearly ran over a poor cow that had wandered onto the road, I didn't see it until it was nearly steaks. The road had accumulated nearly 4" of snow in an hour and there was no sign of it letting up, the cow was the last straw. The next year I got about 3 miles up and got stuck in the snow. I was digging myself out when the Marlboro man and a pack of dogs came along and pulled me out. So finally this year I was able to make the trip. My eyes saw incredible beauty, but my camera didn't come out as often as it should have.
    The first photo is of a homestead along Tensleep creek. The second is of a barn just outside of the town of Tensleep. The third is of a butte along Red Gulch. The forth is the same butte with a WA lens. I live in an incredible place, but the camera stays in the bag unless the light is right, the angle is right, if I have time to stop along the way to the next place with the right light, etc etc. Great stuff all around, but this trip alone I drove 300 miles in a loop and had about 20 minutes of decent light. I wish I could camp at many locations and just watch the magic happen, work demands too much of my time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Traveling Red Gulch Road-10d-2490.jpg   Traveling Red Gulch Road-10d-2497.jpg   Traveling Red Gulch Road-10d-2500.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Re: Traveling Red Gulch Road

You do live in a beautiful place. When I lived out west I was in my the camera never left the bag phase. Most of the time I never even had a camera.

These are beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Great photos, some of your best. Thanks for sharing. It was well worth your time....
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I was through Wyoming in the '80s on a motorcycle. Have always wanted to go back and if things were different I'd live there.
    Your story and photos have reminded me of that.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information