ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    or Mona Lisa

Help...a baby boy?????

Ok I am at a complete loss for an idea here. I dont normally do pictures for other people, just family occasionally. My sister in law has begged me to do pictures of my new nephew (3 weeks old) for his birth announcement and first pictures. I have 2 girls and have no idea what to do with a little baby boy. Yikes! I told my sister in law this and she just said she was confident I would come up with something. Ha! So please I need some help. Any ideas for a birth announcement type picture of a new baby boy? Like I said, I am totally in "girl" mode so I have attached a couple pictures of our precious little girls. The first is what we used for our birth announcement for Ella (even though she was VERY jaundice) and the second is just a fun one I did a couple weeks ago. So if anyone can offer any ideas or share any of your own pictures I would greatly appreciate it. THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance. I am clueless about boys!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Help...a baby boy?????

Lisa,

I have no experiance in taking these types of pics. That being said, I can tell you what I like about kids photos. I like to see photos that are more intimate than say a baby in it's crib, or laying on the living room floor. The two pics you posted show a much more personal image and I like that. I also like b&w images. Just take a look at some of Adina's shots of her kids and you will see what I mean. Another thing I like to see in baby photos, is body parts. Take a nice closeup of his foot, toes, hand, or even his ear. I love the mood that these types of images show when they are done right. Sorry I don't have any examples to post for you. Just my thoughts. Good luck.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I have a very good friend who is a beautiful 'baby' photographer. Have a look at her site for some wonderful ideas! www.simonehanckel.com.au

while you're there, take a peek at my daugher in the 'life' portfolio pg 2 and scroll through, she's at the beach - medium format shot (Square) scrunching her toes into the sand. I love it!

edited to add.. there are some more beautiful baby photos on this site too (another friend!)

www.jinkyart.com.au
    Last edited by tink; 09-09-2005 at 03:30 PM.

Hey thanks Michael!

also, you might want to try this site for some ideas www.ilovephotography.com

With babies that age, you'd probably want to find out when he naps, and plan for then. Much easier to work with when they are sleeping. Try a beanbag or a basket and curl them up in there. Try this site as well. www.capturedbycarrie.com

Hope that helps.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Thread Information