ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Helmut Newton workshop (partial nudity)

I did a Sandrine Mercier back in July (before the city emptied and everyone went on holidays). There's was Helmut Newton exhibition on at the time and Sandrine thought of doing a workshop the way Newton would have done it - a Paris apartment, a minimum of lighting (no flash) - plus a stunning model.

As usual the guys turned up with the very latest Nikon gear (plus some Carl Zeiss lenses). I stuck to the D800 + 28-70 f2.8. Though a monopod might have been a good idea..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Helmut Newton workshop (partial nudity)-4545-015.jpg   Helmut Newton workshop (partial nudity)-4545-078.jpg   Helmut Newton workshop (partial nudity)-4545-103.jpg   Helmut Newton workshop (partial nudity)-4545-127.jpg   Helmut Newton workshop (partial nudity)-4545-139.jpg  

Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Helmut Newton workshop (partial nudity)

With no monpod did you go with high ISOs?

What a beautiful lady , and very nice location

do you work one on one with the model? Or many photographers at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    With no monpod did you go with high ISOs?

What a beautiful lady , and very nice location

do you work one on one with the model? Or many photographers at the same time?
    I was using 1600 ISO with the camera set to give me a shutter speed twice the focal length (i.e. for a focal length of 56mm it gave me 1/125s). This looks like a good combination but no I was still getting camera shake.

It was mostly one on one with the model - Mr I-have-Zeiss-lenses refused to work in a group anyway and sat there was his arms folded for the first 30 minutes during the first piece with the girl clothed against the wall looking left then unclothed looking right.. But the doorway was his idea. I was the only one shooting close like this because I liked the mirror at the end of the corridor. And so on. It was a collective effort but we all got something different.
    Charles

Nice work and the model is lovely.

I also find that 2x focal length is not as sharp as it can be, so
    I'm considering getting a normal zoom and the VR on the new 24.85 makes it very attractive, not pricey, small , aperture not to bad, ED glass, and nikon

another option is the tamron 24.70 f2.8 VC , but the higher price, size and weight, plus the brand name does not attract me much

waiting for a decent review on the 24-85

waiting for a decent review on the 24-85
    Chasseurs d'Images (trusted French magazine) has a review of the 24-85VR. They're quite impressed with it except for the distortion (which can be corrected in software). As I suspected performance-wise it seems to fall between the 24-70 f2.8 (best) and the 24-120 f4 (worst).

I'm no longer interested in it. I've got used to the colour and contrast of my Nikon 28-70 f2.8 on the D800. I've tried my 2003 24-85 AF-S on the D800 several times and somehow it just doesn't make it. Looks like my only hope is for Nikon to release a 24-70 f2.8 VR..
    Charles

another option is the tamron 24.70 f2.8 VC , but the higher price, size and weight, plus the brand name does not attract me much
    Don't underestimate the good Tamron lenses. They aren't built as well as the Nikon but they have excellent image quality and they're a lot smaller and lighter. I use the 28-75mm f/2.8 for a lot of my product photography.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I have a modest Tamron ultra-wide-angle DX zoom (11-18mm) that I don't use very much - so little that I leant it to a collegue to go on holiday. He's been raving about how he's going to buy a Tokina ultra-wide f2.8 zoom etc. (which I don't think he needs).

When he showed me the results I was amazed. My lens is excellent - sharp, nice clean colours, no light fall off at the edges. Much better than the other lenses he was using. It's now gone back into my D200 bag for my next holidays.

Of course when I bought it I chose this lens carefully - limited zoom range, limited maximum aperture, good results in the reviews..
    Charles

:thumbsup:

After I figure out how to use my cam I'd like to do more subject focused work...if that makes any sense.

Thread Information