Hello, from...

Printable View

• 06-16-2005, 02:28 PM
    Photo-John
    2 Attachment(s)
    Hello, from...
    Just checking in to say hi. I'm in the Austrian Alps and it's very pretty. Just wanted to share it with you :)
  • 06-16-2005, 02:30 PM
    Photo-John
    1 Attachment(s)
    Something Funny
    Photographers are so predictable!
  • 06-16-2005, 02:36 PM
    drg
    Re: Something Funny
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Photographers are so predictable!

Now what mountain bike accessory or component are those? :D
  • 06-16-2005, 03:07 PM
    Liz
    Awesome!!!!!!!
    Looks like you're having a fun time there! What gorgeous scenery. :cool:

What lens did you use for these pictures. The quality and color are incredible!

Have a great time.

Liz

Quote:

Just checking in to say hi. I'm in the Austrian Alps and it's very pretty. Just wanted to share it with you :)

• 06-16-2005, 03:11 PM
    almo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drg
    Now what mountain bike accessory or component are those? :D

The best kind!
  • 06-16-2005, 04:03 PM
    jar_e
    John,

Glad to know all is going well and some great shots! How did you upload your photos? Do you have a laptop?!

Jared
  • 06-16-2005, 05:41 PM
    MJS
    Re: Hello, from...
    I'm surprised nobody was stepping on their tongue. Beautiful shots, have a great time.
  • 06-16-2005, 06:01 PM
    Asylum Steve
    You know what they say...
    "The Lord Alps those who Alp themselves..." :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. Glad to see you got there in one piece...
  • 06-16-2005, 06:50 PM
    mtbbrian
    Don't have too much fun over there!
    I'll be thinking of you at Deer Valley this weekend.
  • 06-17-2005, 05:24 AM
    Speed
    I'm in the Austrian Alps
    Quote:

What the...?

What are you doing in the Austrian Alps?

Business, pleasure, or a combination of the two?

Gorgeous scenery BTW. Thanks for sharing it with us.
  • 06-17-2005, 05:36 AM
    Arctirus
    Re: I'm in the Austrian Alps
    Awesome! I was just in Austria a few weeks ago myself. I only got to see the Alps from a window of a train though.
  • 06-17-2005, 11:06 AM
    Axle
    Hey Photo-John!

Love the shots! Glad you're okay and enjoying the scenery, *all* of it. ;)
  • 06-17-2005, 01:35 PM
    Photo-John
    1 Attachment(s)
    Re: I'm in the Austrian Alps
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed
    What are you doing in the Austrian Alps?

I'm at a mountain bike event. Two - actually. One is a product introduction and the other is a competition. They're both in the same town, at the same time. Pretty cool!
  • 06-17-2005, 04:27 PM
    mtbbrian
    Ride On!
    I SOOOOO wish I were there too!
    Oh Well..
    I'll be shooting the NORBA Nationals tomorrow!!
    Brian
    Ride On!
  • 06-18-2005, 01:56 PM
    Photo-John
    Laptop
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jar_e
    How did you upload your photos? Do you have a laptop?!

Yeah - got a laptop. It's sort of a necessity if you're going to be on the road a lot with a digital camera. When you can shoot gigs of photos per day, you need a lot of storage. And it's important to be able to work from anywhere - if possible.
  • 06-18-2005, 04:40 PM
    Liz
    Hey PJ - don't forget........what lens/camera are you using for the above awesome pics?

I'll be in Bosnia when you get home. :p

Liz

Quote:

• 06-19-2005, 02:41 AM
    Photo-John
    Equipment
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz
    Hey PJ - don't forget........what lens/camera are you using for the above

I think the first ones were all taken with the EOS 10D and 28-135mm IS lens.

The one of the guy tossing himself off the huge bridge was taken with the EOS 1D and 70-200 f/2.8L with the 1.4x tele-extender.

I posted some more bike photos in the gallery yesterday. Here's a link to those (hint - use keywords when you upload photos so you can create custom gallery pages like this one): http://gallery.photographyreview.com...+alps&x=6&y=11
  • 06-19-2005, 09:27 AM
    jar_e
    Re: Laptop
    Quote:

Yeah - got a laptop. It's sort of a necessity if you're going to be on the road a lot with a digital camera. When you can shoot gigs of photos per day, you need a lot of storage. And it's important to be able to work from anywhere - if possible.

No doubt, how big of a hard drive do you have?!
  • 06-19-2005, 01:20 PM
    Photo-John
    Storage
    Quote:

No doubt, how big of a hard drive do you have?!

It's a tiny Fujitsu laptop with built-in wi-fi and a 40 gig drive. I bought it mostly for photo storage when I'm on the road. But it also has Photoshop 7.0 so I can do some processing and I do a lot of writing on it. I also recently installed Winamp and started ripping some music so I'd have some tunes while I'm traveling
    :)
  • 06-19-2005, 01:29 PM
    jar_e
    Re: Storage
    Neato, I know I'm just looking into a laptop for school next year and lots of decisions to choose from!:p
  • 06-21-2005, 11:22 AM
    Photo-John
    Laptops
    Quote:

Neato, I know I'm just looking into a laptop for school next year and lots of decisions to choose from!:p

My decision was based on portability and photographic needs. I have a much more powerful desktop at home, as well as at the office. If I was buying a laptop for my only computer, I'd buy something with a big screen, good video capabilties, and a fast processor. If you've got the money, look at gaming machines. They're usually the most powerful. Plus, for photography, you need a good video card so you can calibrate the LCD. That's important for color accuracy. My laptop is only ok in that regard.
  • 06-22-2005, 04:26 AM
    brianc
    1 Attachment(s)
    Man, sometimes the paralells are scary.....

Taken June 11th, near Warth, Austria. I wish I had my bike or at least time to dirve a litte west to see the Tour de Swiss.

You're not going to be in the norht Kingdom of VT next week are you? =)

off to see your gallery.....
  • 06-22-2005, 11:02 AM
    Photo-John
    Wow!
    That is kinda freaky, huh?! Looks like you got better weather, though.

The riding there is different from here. Not so much rideale singletrack. It seems the Euros think riding up dirt road switchbacks is a good time. The bike park at Saalbach Hinterglemm is sweet, though. Not as big or fun as Whistler - but what else is?
  • 06-22-2005, 12:43 PM
    brianc
    Re: Wow!
    Quote:

That is kinda freaky, huh?! Looks like you got better weather, though.

The riding there is different from here. Not so much rideale singletrack. It seems the Euros think riding up dirt road switchbacks is a good time. The bike park at Saalbach Hinterglemm is sweet, though. Not as big or fun as Whistler - but what else is?

The weather was nice. we were supposed to go sailing on the Lake of Konstaz. but there was no wind. Which was good for me, b/c we when hiking instead.

THe mountains are so steep there. I guess "fire roads" are the only option. I saw a map of Austria with trails. these seemed endless so my guess is there is huge potential, but you have to be STRONG to enjoy them.

The thing I could explain was the guys riding up the paved road, when there was a nice single track trial right next to the road.
  • 06-22-2005, 03:44 PM
    Lionheart
    Hard drive story
    Quote:

It's a tiny Fujitsu laptop with built-in wi-fi and a 40 gig drive. I bought it mostly for photo storage when I'm on the road. But it also has Photoshop 7.0 so I can do some processing and I do a lot of writing on it. I also recently installed Winamp and started ripping some music so I'd have some tunes while I'm traveling
    :)

I have a Panasonic Toughbook with a 40 GB drive that's almost full, and I got tired of constantly having to offload my documents to an external Seagate drive. So I ordered a HD transfer kit from drivesolutions.com and a 100GB 5400rpm Seagate drive. I copied the old drive onto the new drive with no problems, but after 30 screws and an hour dismantling my new laptop (and voiding the 3 year warranty in the process), I found my laptop spontaneously rebooting because the Panasonic uses 3.3 V drives and most drives are 5 volt. Now I need to decide if its worth the $150 dollars to risk the new drive by clipping the voltage control pins on the new drive to make it a 3.3 volt drive.