Heading To Norway!

Printable View

• 03-02-2004, 08:38 PM
    Pose
    Heading To Norway!
    Just found out today I'm heading over to Norway next month. Stavanger is the town, I believe, anyone ever been there? This seems like it will be a pretty exciting photography experience for me, as a newbie. Any advice/tips/things-to-see you can offer? I'll be there 18-20 days, so the question of how much film to bring comes to mind, heh.
    Guess I have time to plan and think about these things, just thought I'd share my excitement.

-Jared.
  • 03-02-2004, 08:59 PM
    another view
    First thing that comes to mind is get a bigger camera bag. Preferably one that you can stuff a 6'1" tall photographer into (like me, coincidentally!).

I've never been there but I don't think you can take too much film. I've never had a problem with even multiple scans of ISO400 film, but I don't leave it in the camera bag when it goes thru the x-ray (obviously don't put it in with checked bags). I put my film in a separate bag, then put it thru in one of the trays for small items after the camera gear. Reason is that they will really check out the camera bag for a few seconds and I don't want the film in there for that. The bag of film goes right thru with a short exposure to the x-ray machine. I'd probably stock up on batteries too.

Have fun!
  • 03-03-2004, 06:37 AM
    Pose
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

What do you think about x-ray film bags? It seems as though you can keep the bag loaded with film in your carry-on during the airport x-ray and it'll protect it, but if they can't see inside, wouldnt they make a fuss about it?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=185375&is=REG
  • 03-03-2004, 07:02 AM
    another view
    I'm not sure about those - some people say that they turn up the power of the x-ray until they can see thru them (I don't know much about how they work or if this is true), some people say they're OK. I don't use one but never had a problem.
  • 03-03-2004, 10:33 AM
    Photo-John
    That should be a cool trip. I've wanted to go to Norway for a while. I've seen some really, really cool photos of rocky cliffs over fjords.

About the X-ray bag - I would just keep the film in a separate bag, hand-carry it, and ask that it be hand-checked. Don't take any risks with your film. If it gets screwed up, you won't be able to replace it.
  • 03-03-2004, 11:09 AM
    paulnj
    and my "family vacations" need between 1 and 2 gigs a day on average or 6 rolls a day.

my last 2 trips.... arizona- 9 days and 13 rolls plus 12 gigs(3 gigs deleted)

florida.... 75 + rolls in a week :D

lead bags are a waste...... shoprite brand 1 gallon freezer bags are cheaper, see through and support my union :)
  • 03-03-2004, 02:21 PM
    dsl712
    Sounds like an awesome trip
    Really cool that you get to go to Norway. I've never been but, I hear it is a beautiful place for photos.

I would forget about the XRay bags and just have them handcheck the film. I leave the film in a separate bag so I can pull it out quick. I remove the film from the canisters so they can see the leads. If they can't see through the X-Ray bag they will make you remove it and hand check it anyway.

Have fun. Post pics.

Dennis
  • 03-03-2004, 02:25 PM
    Sebastian
    X-ray bags are a waste of money. These days if the operator finds eomthing that his machine can't scan through, he will boost the signal until it does, wnd when enough radiation is applied to go through the lead, the film will be toast.

Clear plastic bags for handchecking. A little cheat I picked up on a photojournalism board: mark everything in large type as ISO 1600, to speed things up some checkers don't handcheck anything under ISO 800 because the one pass thorugh their one machine will do no harm, ignoring the fact that you have ten more scans ahead of you... Get some 1600 ISO film canisters, use permanent marker, whatever... :D
  • 03-03-2004, 08:26 PM
    Sailorjerry
    My hometown!
    I wish I could go too, it's been almost five years since I was home. I lived in the area between 1977 and 1992. Preikestolen is a fun day trip north of Stavanger and is well worth the time. While there (if travelling by car) go see the nearby Kjeragsbolten , an ice-age boulder stuck about 3500 feet over Lysefjorden.
    I would also suggest driving the coast highway from Stavanger south to Egersund. This link has many pictures from the coast road. There are quite a few ship wrecks and WWII German pillbox bunkers along the way. Other than that, the one experience I would highly recommend to anyone is to go to any large hotel (The Atlantic or Sola Strand Hotel) on sunday morning and have the continental breakfast. The Norwegians know how to eat breakfast! If you happen to be there during a major holiday (x-mas, easter) the spread of food is astonishing (seven different kinds of pickled herring! YUM!)).

Have a great trip and bring plenty of film because it is insanely expensive there.

SJ
  • 03-03-2004, 09:09 PM
    Pose
    Hey, thanks for the tips (& links). I'll definitely put those on my list of things to do.

The film advice was very useful, aswell..I'll just keep it in a seperate bag and try to have it hand checked (they usually give me additional screening & hand check all of my luggage, anyways), and if not just make sure to put it in the tray with my laptop.
  • 03-03-2004, 10:13 PM
    Photo-John
    Nice tip, Sebastian!
  • 03-04-2004, 12:47 AM
    Pose
    I have no idea how I missed what he said, that was a great tip.
    I'll make sure to do that!