• 05-23-2006, 10:55 AM
    poker
    Having a camera with you at all times...
    Is it possible to have a camera with you at all times in case a great subject comes your way?

Here, close to work, there was an exhibit Tuesday through Thursday. I forgot my camera the first two days but was happy they were still there on Thursday when I remembered to bring my camera.

Yesterday, I consciously made the effort to bring my camera when I knew the rain would clear by the time I got out of work. I took landscapes of the city from the Santa Monica Mountains. Rain is the only thing that takes the smog away until the next day.

I was thinking of leaving my old Canon Powershot G2 in the car for photo opp emergencies but with the weather heating up, it might break. I left a PDA once in the car on a hot day and it never recovered.

Who here has a good camera on them 24/7?

Camera phones excluded (I hate being at a wedding and someone is trying to take shots of the couple on the alter with a camera phone).
  • 05-23-2006, 11:17 AM
    dmm96452
    Re: Having a camera with you at all times...
    I carry a Fuji FinePix E900 with me all of the time and love it. It may be too big for some to carry in a pocket everyday but I have done so for about 5 months and have not had a problem.

I posted a review of it and the specs are here.
  • 05-23-2006, 11:18 AM
    photophorous
    Mine is in a backpack in my cubicle, pretty much every day I'm at work. Sometimes I have two. I carry it on the weekends a lot too, but I don't like to leave it in the car, so depending on where I'm going, I might leave it at home. I definitely think 24/7 is possible, but for me, it probably averages out to 24/6. :)

Paul
  • 05-23-2006, 11:32 AM
    walterick
    I used to try to do this. But eventually it became obvious that I don't need a camera with me at all times. But I do tend to carry one more often than anyone else I know :)
  • 05-23-2006, 11:48 AM
    poker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick
    I used to try to do this. But eventually it became obvious that I don't need a camera with me at all times.

Ahem, Walter, while PR is trying to promote "24 hours of Photographyreview.com June 1st!," I suggest we don't mention not needing a camera at all times. :D :p :D :p

But seriously, some of us may have the same realization as yours. I guess I should just do it to find out. In Los Angeles, somethng is always happening. I work near the Federal Building and there are protest an aweful lot. I was just outside my building and there was this huge CROW that I wish I took a picture of. I sound like an addict. If my wife sees me walking around with a camera on me 24/7, I may need a lawyer. :eek:

I'll try bringing my G2 around more often.....but then I'll attach the 430EX and the wide angle attachment.....I MIGHT AS WELL BRING A DSLR!
  • 05-23-2006, 11:53 AM
    Ronnoco
    Cameras are also handy, if you get into a fender/bender. I have a Minolta G500 as my pocket camera. It is small, very flexible, open to f 2.8 and will shoot shutter priority as well, up to 1/1000 sec. I shot a very usable news/sports shot with it, the first time I used it.

Ronnoco
  • 05-23-2006, 12:03 PM
    another view
    Good advice... that I usually don't follow myself... :)

Some of the newer digitals are small enough that they really can fit in a pocket and be carried about anywhere. I keep looking at the new Olympus 720SW for a lot of reasons and think it would be great for that. Ahh, it's just money...
  • 05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
    poker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    I keep looking at the new Olympus 720SW for a lot of reasons and think it would be great for that. Ahh, it's just money...

Holy cow! The darn thing is shock proof and WATER PROOF???

A camera I can trust my two year old with!
  • 05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
    walterick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by manacsa
    Ahem, Walter, while PR is trying to promote "24 hours of Photographyreview.com June 1st!," I suggest we don't mention not needing a camera at all times. :D :p :D :p

Er... right, I mean um, except on THAT day of course! :D
  • 05-23-2006, 12:24 PM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by manacsa
    Holy cow! The darn thing is shock proof and WATER PROOF???

Cool, huh? Photo John gave it the thumbs up after using it for awhile. It's tiny, too.
  • 05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
    Speed
    I'm a lot like Rickster. I've usually got my camera backpack with me six days a week. I've managed to get a lot of shots I would otherwise have missed.

Here's an example of what I got last Thursday by having my camera with me:

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ad.php?t=21079
  • 05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
    Axle
    For the most part yes I always have a camera on me usually my digital. But if I need to finish off a roll the associated SLR will be on me instead
  • 05-25-2006, 06:27 PM
    Ronnoco
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    Good advice... that I usually don't follow myself... :)

Some of the newer digitals are small enough that they really can fit in a pocket and be carried about anywhere. I keep looking at the new Olympus 720SW for a lot of reasons and think it would be great for that. Ahh, it's just money...

Yes, I am considering that for my son because of it being shock proof and water proof.
    He will be shortly starting his second year of massive rehab from a head on auto collision.

Ronnoco