ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Have You Improved Over The Years?

Someone started a thread of this nature at another forum I visit from time to time, and I thought it would make a good subject for a thread here. I am posting this in the VF because this is where we all meet. It's not about what brand you use, or how fancy your equipment is. This is about your skills as a photographer, in whatever area of interest you are involved in.

For me, for the most part, it is nature. This can be wildlife, plants, sunsets/rises. There is a lot to choose from in nature photography. Lately I have been questioning wether or not I have improved. I have had doubts about recent shots, so I went back to the old stuff and had a look. I compared some with more recent work, and I think I have become a better photographer. How good? Well that is a matter of opinion, but I do see definite improvement, and I am proud of that.

I compared two shots, of the same subjects taken, almost to the month, 3 years apart. The first was shot with a D30 and a Quantaray 75-300mm lens in 2005. This was my first DSLR. The second was taken with my 30D and my 50mm 1.8 lens in 2008. No doubt the lenses, and perhaps the cameras played a role in the IQ, as well as my skills in PS, but to me there is a significant change in photographic skill.

John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Have You Improved Over The Years?

Yes, oh man yes. It was last year after PYPS Winter Weekend 2008, I was looking back to PYPS Winter Weekend 2007 photos (I had *just* got my D70s) and I was amazed at how much I had improved over the one year of having the camera.

WW07 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/axle814...7594544571607/
    WW08 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/axle814...7603935676030/
    CY09 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/axle814...7621857323330/

Today, I feel that yes, I have defiantly improved with my style, composition, and flare when shooting. And always aiming to improve more.

So let's just take a look back. I'll switch dates when I had a major change in gear.

Convention 2002, very first PYPS event I brought a camera to.

I like this shot, but it could have been framed better. Camera used: Minolta Hi-Matic 7s

Labour Day 2004

First SLR, and a flash, note the harsh shadows and blown out lights, and the focus is off, the camera was just a couple weeks old at this point. Camera: Minolta SRT-102

Spring 2005

Amazing how a year will improve your knowledge of a camera. Framing could be better on this one, but there are several shots from this weekend I was really happy with. I also discovered the joys of Black and White Film. Camera Used: Minolta SRT-102

Convention 2005

Getting better, using creative angles, making use of different lenses at this point also. Camera used: Minolta X-7a

Winter Weekend 2006

Wow, I went digital! A couple weeks after Convention 2005 I picked up my first digital camera. And I started using different lighting to add effects to my shots. Camera Used: Konica Minolta DiMage Z2

Convention 2006

Urban Exploration took it's first camera from me, I had to replace. But the new camera I started working on framing and composition. Marked improvement at this point. Camera used: Panasonic Lumix FZ-7

Winter Weekend 2007

New Camera blues. the dSLR is giving me problems, well at only a few weeks old, I'm still working on figuring everything out. Camera Used: Nikon D70s

Winter Weekend 2008

Mark, one year with the camera. By this point I had it figured out, even using the flash (bouncing and defusing now). Plus making use of RAW, post-processing. Amazing how much a year will help. Camera Used: Nikon D70s.

Leadership 2008

The last PYPS photo I'll take for a very long time. Aperature priority is my friend, bouncing flash is key, knowing all about Depth of field. Camera Used: Nikon D300

Having I improved...yes, and I still am.

Manual mode, level adjustments, better framing, using different focus points. Camera Used: Nikon D300
    Last edited by Axle; 08-14-2009 at 05:20 AM.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Have I improved? Good question John. I've been at this for 40 years and I think that my improvement goes up a bit every year with relation to how much and what I am shooting. I have had different point of interest or focus with my photography over the years should take each separately to evaluate improvement. Let me just say that when I started shooting digital I saw an immediate improvement overall. Why? I think it was because of the immediate feed back that I was getting and the opportunity to try so many different techniques and styles of photography with out it costing me an arm and leg in film and processing. I might also add that this same advantage has sometimes made me a little sloppy because I know it's not going to get in my wallet if I mess up so I don't take as much time with an individual shot as I should sometimes. But overall have I improved? Yes I think so and I credit a lot of it to PR and the critiques and input from fellow photographers and the constant exposure to their wonderful work as well.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Great idea for a thread. I would say that I have come a long long way in the past 4-5 years. I don't have examples right now, but a look in my gallery sorted by date posted should give an indication.

One of the areas were I can see a huge improvement is in my editing. I'm not talking about post processing editing, but in choosing the keepers vs the garbage. Things I would have loved to print and frame a few years ago are now subjected to a much higher standard and most likely wouldn't make the cut today. I have come a long way with this, but I know I still have a long way to go.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I won (ebay, used) my first DSLR a year ago next Tuesday and proudly posted the first shot below a few days later.

Have You Improved Over The Years?-img_0775a-800.jpg

With the help of everyone on this site, here is a more recent attempt. Thank you.

Have You Improved Over The Years?-dsc00998-edit-2_edited-3.jpg

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Starting to think outside of the box icicle's Avatar

to be honest, I will have to wait quite awhile before judging myself for over the years.
    And I also think I have improved slightly over the last year since I got my Dslr
    Feel Free to edit my photos, However please explain what you did to them.

i hope so. will post something later today...
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

I don't think so

I don't think my pictures have changed much over the years (I bought my first "serious" camera in 1973). Still the same style, and pretty much the same subjects. I have stopped doing some subjects which don't work.

The results have got better because of improvements in cameras and lenses, and I have access to much better models.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I have always loved cameras, even as a child but back than it was more of documentary stuff and how many shots I can have rather than the quality. I used to think Polaroids were the greatest cameras ever maid. That all changed when I got my first slr in the fall of 2008. It was a Pentax Spotmatic F, I struggled to learn the controls but eventually I got the hang of it. Now that a year has past I can safely say my photos look much better now. In fact I hate looking at my old photos they make me wanna hurl.

But I think were to hard on ourselves....

Ya same with me, I don't have any examples but there in my gallery............
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Here is a series of images I have taken over the last 5 years of the same location.

This was taken back in 2004. I do have a print of this hanging in my house, but if I took this image today I don't think I would print it. The subject is interesting, but the lighting isn't that great.

Here is another shot of the same mill taken in 2005. I like this image much better and have sold a few prints of this. I do think there is still room for improvement though.

Here is my latest image of this same location from early this year. This is by far my favorite image I have ever taken, or seen taken of this mill. Shooting this at night would have never crossed my mind when I took that first image back in 2004.

Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Here is a series of images I have taken over the last 5 years of the same location.

This was taken back in 2004. I do have a print of this hanging in my house, but if I took this image today I don't think I would print it. The subject is interesting, but the lighting isn't that great.

Here is another shot of the same mill taken in 2005. I like this image much better and have sold a few prints of this. I do think there is still room for improvement though.

Here is my latest image of this same location from early this year. This is by far my favorite image I have ever taken, or seen taken of this mill. Shooting this at night would have never crossed my mind when I took that first image back in 2004.

Mike,

Just want to say that all the images are nice........however, the improvement is evident with each year.

That last one is stunning!

Liz

Liz

Almo - just want to say this is a wonderful idea. I don't have time to post anything now - but promise I'll return.

Thanks for this thread. It is very interesting. Not only that, but it's a great way to get to know each other - and our photography better.

Three cheers for Almo!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Almo - just want to say this is a wonderful idea. I don't have time to post anything now - but promise I'll return.

Thanks for this thread. It is very interesting. Not only that, but it's a great way to get to know each other - and our photography better.

Three cheers for Almo!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Liz
    My favorite Nun!

Liz, I thank you, but I can hardly take credit for the idea. I just copied some one else from another forum. I would love to see your story here too, so you better return

Thanks to you guys for your posts, I can see the evident improvement in all of your photography, those who posted images that is. I will have to do some gallery diving for the ones that didn't.

Keep 'em coming guys!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Interesting post. Me, my technical skills have improved over the years. Still using rangefinders and (gasp) film, I find that I can pretty much judge the light, set my aperture and shutter speeds without bothering to check the viewfinder to see what the meter is giving me. When walking the streets, it's so much faster to already have your exposure dialed in so as not to miss the shot.

What has not improved, though, are my digital and post-processing skills. I absolutely hate wading through instructions, and although I know that I am probably using only about 2% of what Photoshop is capable of giving me and maybe 25% of what my D700 can do, I have no urge or desire to sit down and work on these things.

I've also changed my way of thinking over the years. I no longer strive for technical perfection, and I actually don't care if the technicals are there, as long as the photo has impact. So, give me aesthetics over technical prowess any day.

Oh, nice shots everyone.

I think my bigest improvment is my focus. even though the camera i use has auto focus, i wasn't use to that press half way to auto focus then press completly. all i used before i bought my fuji s1000 is the old vivitar film P&S my parents used to have.... i'll be buying a DSLR in the next year or so, so i'll be learning manual focus and fully manual settings, that'll be fun learning all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    Interesting post. Me, my technical skills have improved over the years. Still using rangefinders and (gasp) film, I find that I can pretty much judge the light, set my aperture and shutter speeds without bothering to check the viewfinder to see what the meter is giving me. When walking the streets, it's so much faster to already have your exposure dialed in so as not to miss the shot.

What has not improved, though, are my digital and post-processing skills. I absolutely hate wading through instructions, and although I know that I am probably using only about 2% of what Photoshop is capable of giving me and maybe 25% of what my D700 can do, I have no urge or desire to sit down and work on these things.

I've also changed my way of thinking over the years. I no longer strive for technical perfection, and I actually don't care if the technicals are there, as long as the photo has impact. So, give me aesthetics over technical prowess any day.

Oh, nice shots everyone.
    Chuck!

It's been awhile buddy. I still check out your gallery on PBASE from time to time to see what you are up to.

I get the whole thing about wading through instructions; I hate it too. I think I use more than 2% lol, but it was all through trial and error. Through that method, I would say I have come pretty far. As for your work, I don't think anyone would doubt your expertise.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I went digital in late 2005 (October actually). Within two years, for me, I doubled my proficiency over shooting film for the previous 20 years.

Shooting wildlife helps to continously push a photographer because one can chase any given species for a lifetime and the hunt for ever better images never ceases.

I started shooting bugs and birds in flight in 2006. Here is my brief progression with dragonflies so far:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have You Improved Over The Years?-progression-dfly-2006.jpg   Have You Improved Over The Years?-progression-dfly-2007.jpg   Have You Improved Over The Years?-progression-dfly-2008.jpg   Have You Improved Over The Years?-progression-dfly-2009.jpg  
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    I went digital in late 2005 (October actually). Within two years, for me, I doubled my proficiency over shooting film for the previous 20 years.

Shooting wildlife helps to continously push a photographer because one can chase any given species for a lifetime and the hunt for ever better images never ceases.

I started shooting bugs and birds in flight in 2006. Here is my brief progression with dragonflies so far:
    Wow Loupey, that's awesome. I went digi in 03, but my progression has been somewhat slower than yours. At least in the area of flying creatures...

I have a couple more here. Gaboon Vipers from the zoo.

D30 2005

30D 2009
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Looking at the work here already, we have all always had "The eye" for a good shot.

I always loved shooting window light portraits. However, I kept forgetting to turn my house lights off so I was getting a yellow cast.

My knowledge of white balance has also improved. I was always getting frustrated with my kit lights, not knowing why they were causing a yellow hue.
    My focus was also wayyyyy off! lol

My "Aha moment" came to me back in May 2006 when I started to shoot in Manual mode.
    Followed closely by my composition, dof, expopsure and photoshop skills.
    Even down to knowing what lens I need to use for the job. I can always remember pestering Loupey about macro lenses and tubes lol.

I also shoot in RAW now. I'm not entirely sure how I managed without it before lol.

So I would say "Yes!" I have definitely improved! All round!

PR and it's willing and helpful community have watched me, and helped me to grow.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Alison

Looking at the work here already, we have all always had "The eye" for a good shot.

I always loved shooting window light portraits. However, I kept forgetting to turn my house lights off so I was getting a yellow cast.

My knowledge of white balance has also improved. I was always getting frustrated with my kit lights, not knowing why they were causing a yellow hue.
    My focus was also wayyyyy off! lol

My "Aha moment" came to me back in May 2006 when I started to shoot in Manual mode.
    Followed closely by my composition, dof, expopsure and photoshop skills.
    Even down to knowing what lens I need to use for the job. I can always remember pestering Loupey about macro lenses and tubes lol.

I also shoot in RAW now. I'm not entirely sure how I managed without it before lol.

So I would say "Yes!" I have definitely improved! All round!

PR and it's willing and helpful community have watched me, and helped me to grow.
    Thank you!
    Now that is what I call improvement!

And, quite dramatic too. Having become so personally close to you I can not contain my pride when I see your images. Your work is no less than stunning.

Thank you so much for sharing over the years, and I can only hope for many more to come! :thumbsup:
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by Alison

I tend to agree, but this site has not only helped me learn the subtleties of the technical side, it's taught me to look for things I would have never thought of, without the interaction with other PR members. I'd be really bummed to think that I hadn't improved or wouldn't in the future - that's what keeps this hobby interesting and dynamic for me.

January 2009

June 1999 (scanned from film)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have You Improved Over The Years?-trixie1999.jpg  

I have to say I am kinda with Charles on this. I don't think I have improved much. Experience has stopped me from taking photos that I know just won't work, but as far as the final results, I don't know that I've improved that much. I have nicer equipment, I know better how to choose a subject, and I know when to take the photo better now. Maybe there are more usable results, but as far as what I do basically with a camera, it's still pretty much the same.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I personally believe that half the fun of these boards is watching people improve and grow! And taking pride in helping them along the way

Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thread Information