ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Is anyone interested in a small photo-backpack?

I was cruising through the PDA section of Micro Center today and this little tiny camera backpack caught my eye. Marked down from $30 and on sale for $12, it was advertised as holding a few p&s digital cameras and accessories. I have outgrown my first camera bag about a year ago and the thought of this little backpack (while I'm saving up for the $200 Tamrac I'd like) was intriguing.

Well, let me tell you what I got into this little knapsack:
    1 autofocus Nikon 8008s (large) with a 28-105 Sigma zoom mounted
    1 Nikon Fm2n body with 50mm 1.8 AF lens mounted and my tripod quick disconnect pad attached
    1 180mm Nikon AIS 2.8
    1 105mm Nikon AIS 2.5
    1 35mm AF 2.0
    1 24mm Sigma 2.8
    1 set of extension tubes
    1 Nikon TC-201 teleconverter in soft bag
    1 Promaster Nikon dedicated flash
    15 filters in the inner mesh pocket (mostly 52mm but including 1 62mm polarizer in a case)
    6 rolls of film (in the side pocket)
    various stuff: 1 pinhole body cap, a lens cloth, a watch for timing night exposures, various lens caps, a cable release, etc.

That's everything I own.

It has adjustable velcro compartment dividers, a zippered side pocket (I fit 6 rolls of film in containers in it) a water bottle holder on the other side, a removable cell phone holder on one of the shoulder straps, plastic clips on the shoulder straps for carabiners/more crap/etc, a carry handle on top, and another mesh pocket on the outside for more shtuff. Inside, you get 6 compartments transforable to whatever you need (I made mine 5) and the inside of the back flap is a zippered mesh pocket where I threw all the filters, watch, cable release, etc.

Not bad, for 12 little dollars

Here's some pictures of 1) the bag loaded with my stuff (weighed in at about 13 pounds), 2) all the hardware you see in the bag (no accessories) 3) the size of the backpack on me

Hope you all find this useful! I know there aren't many Micro Centers around, so here's a link to their online store with a picture of the bag: http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0168898

I don't know if you could froogle it and find cheaper prices. I'm not reviewing the integrity of the bag; I've only just bought it and loaded it up (and danced around my apartment a little) so I can't vouch for the durability of this bag. If someone has any experience with Targus please post here to let me know. I know they've been doing laptop bags for a long time.

Rick

p.s. I just read on the website it also has a limited lifetime warranty OoDaLoli!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is anyone interested in a small photo-backpack?-bag1.jpg   Is anyone interested in a small photo-backpack?-bag3.jpg   Is anyone interested in a small photo-backpack?-bag2.jpg  
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Is anyone interested in a small photo-backpack?

That looks like a pretty nice little backpack you got there. I have been thinking about getting another packpack to supplement my Lowepro Photo Trekker AW. Right now I have just about everything I own in it and it weighs in at 27 1/2 pounds without my tripod... I was thinking about getting another backpack to seperate my gear, one for film one for digital, but I was dreading spending $100+ on a good backpack. I'm thinking that this might be the perfect ticket for my old AE-1! Thanks for posting this, now where did I put that credit card...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information