Tel
    Has this ever happened to you?
    http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/pho...off/web012.jpg

I hope not! XD

I just had to post that for everyone.
  • 02-28-2007, 04:13 PM
    livin4lax09
    Re: Has this ever happened to you?
    yes. well, never with reggie bush, but other players.
  • 02-28-2007, 04:23 PM
    Didache
    Ever see that film "The Fortune Cookie" with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau? That was EXACTLY the plot!

Mike
  • 03-01-2007, 10:34 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Sure...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tel
    Has this ever happened to you?...

I run into other photographers all the time... :D

BTW, I wouldn't mind running into one of those USC cheerleaders. Nice pom-poms...:arf: :ihih:
  • 03-01-2007, 03:45 PM
    MJS
    After playing 4 years of varsity football in high school, I picked up a career ending back injury and could not play in college. I ended up on the sidelines with a still camera in my hands, a shooter with an intimate knowledge of the game. In one particular game I was 5 yards behind the offensive line of scrimage, getting an ISO shot of our defensive cornerback when he got a great pick and brought it right up my sideline. I had a 400 mm on the camera and got one of those Sports Illustrated shots of his face and hands on the ball right when he made the interception. Unfortunately he was only about 10 yards away and was pushed out of bounds, running right over the front and then the back of me. Seems I had too much ball player and shooter in me to move out of the way sooner. That shot made the cover of the sports yearbook way back in 1978 for the school, I wish I still had the picture, I do however, still have 2 small scars from the cleats he was wearing.
  • 03-01-2007, 04:05 PM
    megan
    Wow, I shudder to think where the photographer's monopod ended up. Yikes!
    Thanks for posting this shot!
  • 03-01-2007, 04:28 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJS
    a shooter with an intimate knowledge of the game. In one particular game I was 5 yards behind the offensive line of scrimage...

Intimate knowledge of the game, eh? Where then may I ask, is the offensive line of scrimmage??? And how is it different from the defensive line of scrimmage... :D

I'm just messing wth ya. If you played four years of varsity football, you must have been quite a talent (unless of course you were a kicker, heh heh!). A shame you never got to the college stage...
  • 03-01-2007, 04:32 PM
    almo
  • 03-01-2007, 07:25 PM
    MJS
    The offensive side of the line of scrimmage. Yeesch, sure do get picky some times. I guess intimate would be a poor choice of words since I played center for all those years, plus the 4 years of pop warner before that. Deckcadet also took one for the team while shooting one of our varsity games at school. I'll try to get him to post the drive sequence from his POV as he went down with his D2HS and 200mm f/2.0 howitzer. As I recall, camera and lens were fine, but the monopod and gimbal mount for the lens had a bend or two. He did keep shooting though.
  • 03-01-2007, 09:43 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJS
    The offensive side of the line of scrimmage. Yeesch, sure do get picky some times...

Hey, just be glad I didn't point out that you mispelled "scrimmage"... :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJS
    I guess intimate would be a poor choice of words since I played center for all those years...

Wow. How big were (are) you? I can't picture you as a lineman. As for the "intimacy" thing, just one question: did your QB lick his fingers between snaps??? Nasty! :eek: :prrr:
  • 03-02-2007, 06:01 AM
    readingr
    Took me a while to look at the photog and the football player - those pom poms are real nice but what's with the wrinkled stockings? Is Nora Batty a cheerleader? (The Brits will understand that last statement - I hope)

Lucky the lens hood is retracted but then you softies wear so much padding (and a crash helmet!) it wouldn't matter to the football player. Real men play rugby :D

Glad to see he kept his finger on the button - signs of a real pro.

Nicely captured.

Roger
  • 03-02-2007, 08:20 AM
    MJS
    No to the question and I was 5 ft 10 inches and 265. Now I'm just a 6 foot 220 pound teddy bear.
  • 03-02-2007, 09:45 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Those were different times, eh?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJS
    No to the question and I was 5 ft 10 inches and 265...

Well, in the real world that's big. But for linemen nowdays, it's practically petite... :D

I like to look at the size of the NFL linemen back in the 60's (think Jerry Kramer, Art Donovan). Today's players would run them over and leave a grease spot...
  • 03-02-2007, 10:50 AM
    MJS
    The guys that are playing now would be scraping me out of their cleats.
  • 03-02-2007, 11:09 AM
    PhotoGirl
    the photographers face is priceless.
    Nope hasn't happened to me yet!
  • 03-02-2007, 11:26 AM
    walterick
    ... been that close to a cheerleader? No! :D

Great shot!
  • 03-02-2007, 12:05 PM
    Asylum Steve
    You need to get a tele...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick
    ... been that close to a cheerleader? No! :D

As you can see, chicks dig the long lens... :thumbsup:
  • 03-02-2007, 07:22 PM
    deckcadet
    I see that boss-man has given you all the short version of my story :)

I'll post the shot tomorrow. Let's just say I was distracted, caught up in the action, and didn't notice the pain until a few hours later. I almost had a heart attack checking the camera though!

Camera and lens fine, naturally. Not even a focus shift. I just kept going after that, but let's just say I haven't used the gimbal often since then, and the monopod in question is now my secondary monopod that the assistants get to use :)

It helps that they're all shorter than me, don't have to open up that last section too much :D

So the lasting effects on the gear weren't bad, and my arm/shoulder that got hit by the cameras were okay, but almost half a year later, my right knee is pretty messed up- pain and popping noises.