ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Some early shots from M5

I've been watching the development of the mirror-less cameras for a while and now, finally, I got one.

A couple of test shots:

Some early shots from M5-test-shot-flower-1.jpg

Some early shots from M5-test-shot-rev-1.jpg

Some early shots from M5-test-3.jpg

I shoot raw and so post-processing is a must

All taken with the 12-50 kit lens. I didn't know how to get into the macro mode of the lens and so no macro mode was used. The camera was still pretty close to the flowers though. So far so good.

Re: Some early shots from M5

Show us more.

This is the OM-D that Paul has just been using for photos of Essex? The colour and saturation don't look the same at all. How did you process your RAW files?
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I assume Paul and I were shooting under different conditions?

I use Adobe Camera Raw 6.7 to process the raw files and finish them in CS5.

Here's the raw files off the camera (re-sized to meet the posting requirement here):

Some early shots from M5-raw-1-.jpg

Some early shots from M5-raw-2.jpg

Some early shots from M5-raw-3.jpg

Some early shots from M5-raw-4.jpg

In Camera Raw I set the white balance to remove color cast, adjust contrast, clarity, vibrance, sharpening, a tiny bit of noise reduction if needed. Then it's off to Photoshop for final retouch, further enhancement if needed, and resizing. Pretty basic stuff

One thing I've noticed so far is the Auto ISO. I thought I was using straightly aperture priority mode, i.e., nothing changes other than shutter speed when I set the exposure compensation. Then I found out by default the E-M5 has the auto ISO on. It seems to me that when I used the exposure compensation, I changed more than just the shutter speed; the ISO changed and even the aperture changed. I have to turn this off and find an easier way to change the ISO myself.

I also have to find out more about the AF; I'm not sure if the camera is focusing on where I want it to focus. I did move the focus point but still not sure if the camera was doing what I wanted it to do. Then I saw a green box and also a white box on the viewfinder and they didn't fall on the same grid. Need more digging

Camera on tripod. 12-50 kit lens. ISO 3200, f6.3, 1 sec; auto white balance (not the warm-biased one), aperture priority mode with no exposure compensation. AF. Light from one candle to the right of the chair. RAW file with no post-processing.

Full view:

Some early shots from M5-candle-light-raw-.jpg

100% crop

Some early shots from M5-candle-light-raw100%25-cropped-.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    Show us more.

This is the OM-D that Paul has just been using for photos of Essex? The colour and saturation don't look the same at all. How did you process your RAW files?
    I have always found Olympus RAW files have to be pushed harder in post than other cameras. Colors and contrast. Contrast the most. It took many post in critiques before learning this and shooting others systems. My OMD E-M5 is no different. The RAW files require more attention.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information