ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Sold my first download on istock. . .Thanks Ronnocco!

Good Afternoon Everyone,
    Just wanted to share a bit of happy news. I have recently started uploading images to istock and had my first two downloads this week. Sure it's only $1.20, but it's a start and I'm thrilled! I've sold plenty of images directly to clients over the years but stock is something completely different for me, much more anonymous and ambiguous than I am used to. I'm looking at it as an opportunity to be "Commercially Creative". Anyway, the image I sold, I posted in the photo critique forum prior to upload at istock for reaction. Ronnocco ripped it up, critique wise, and threw it in the ash can. Consumed with a wish to "show him" it was still good I clipped and added a bird from another shot to add interest and a focal point. Ronnocco still didn't like it, but I did, and that's what matters. So it's been the only image in my istock portfolio for two weeks waiting for notice (I'm still starting up and want to see how it all works ~ so I'm going slow.) and it worked!

Thanks Ronnocco! If you hadn't burned me on the butt about the unedited image it would probably still be languishing in the search gallery somewhere.

Here's the thread for the interested few:
    Roadside Attractions: TipiTop
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Re: Sold my first download on istock. . .Thanks Ronnocco!

Let me be the first to say Congrats. I might have to check istock out. How many images did you upload?
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Congratulations C.L.

Getting that first download from iStock is a very nice feeling. I started uploading a few images to them back in August. I uploaded my first image on August 18th, and got my first 3 downloads on the 29th. I have only uploaded 7 images to iStock so far, but I have had 201 downloads to date. Of all those downloads, 197 of them have come from 2 of my images, both are fireworks shots that I created from multiple images. I only wish I knew what people were doing with them.

Congratulations once again!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Greg ~ Thanks! I have only uploaded the one image so far but I am digging through my recent archives now for other suitable material. I might upload as many as five this week. Then you have to wait and see if they are accepted. Then you have to wait and see if they get purchased and downloaded. And you have to pass a test and submit samples of your work to become an approved photographer before they will let you start uploading. You can check out more details at http://www.istock.com

Michael ~ Thanks! I know what you mean about the 'What does it get used for once someone buys it?' feeling. I wish there was a way to track that as well. Congratulations on your marriage, by the way! Best of luck to you and your new better half.
    Asheville Photographer

Congrats CL!!! I've had a couple (4) downloads from istock, and I know the great feeling when it happens!!!!

They also have a critique forum that is full of information

Good luck...and patience ;)

Sold my first dowlonad on there for $0.30! I was gob-smacked and extremely disappointed. They obviously think my work is worthless.
    I have now had 5 downloads and the grand total in my account is $1.50!

Congrats to you CL!

Congratulations - I'm not surprised the series appealed to me.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Cindy----
    Congratulations. It may not be much, but anything is better than an image sitting around 'gathering dust'. :thumbsup:
    John

Thanks a bunch everybody! It's all about setting a new goal hitting it and reaching for the next one. Certainly it's not something I expect to make a ton of money doing, actually I just wanted to start getting into the steel cage matches with the PS challenges so I could strengthen my skills there, but it's good to keep pictures from "gathering dust", as John said.
    Asheville Photographer

Congrats CL. I remember that image and liked it with the bird added. How large a file did you upload?
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

You are welcome! Congratulations! To rain on your parade a bit, with some reality, a few points.

What sells depends on the market that you are trying to appeal to. The general public without much experience will accept a lot lower quality of photography than anyone with artistic or photographic experience. Editors and executives who are use to seeing visual work of higher quality will have higher expectations, as will those in graphics or computer areas. I have seen web sites of professionals, whose work would not be acceptable in some markets.

Those photographers who are very successful have the good business sense to be able to work at a variety of levels to meet different levels of expectations while at the same time appropriately regulating the work and effort that goes into each project.

Work that can be sold is not always great work, and the client may or may not come back, even if you did make the initial sale. It takes a good critical eye as a photographer to get the quality level that meets the expectations of varied clients. It also demands a good critical eye for the photographer to recognize a need for or possibility of improvement.

As for stock photography, I can talk from being a purchaser. I have 1 million royalty free images. Having them, speeds up my work and allows me to take on projects that would otherwise be more time consuming. Graphics work that often includes text and specialized overlays, patterns and colours is not always profitable timewise to shoot from scratch.

However, stock photos are bought for their projected use...as in possible placement of text, colours, shapes, contrast, and the ease with which it could be changed through postprocessing to meet certain photo needs. Stock photos tend to be technically well-shot, seldom memorable, and rarely artistic. Most do not stand well on their own.

Of course, I stand by, my critique of your work. It could have been improved and possibly earned you more than a dollar and change.

Ronnoco

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Ronnoco~

I have looked forward to your response to this thread and I accept your congratulations in the spirit in which it has been offered. I am very glad for your sandpapery responses and critiques. I did accept your initial criticism and acknowledge that the image lacked a center of interest and a certain dynamism. I agree that it was directing the viewer to something but that it was leading to a visual dead end. I think your criticism improved my work and I am very glad you don't sugar coat things. I understand it is more than likely that this image I have sold through iStock, which is my first ~ not my last, may well be changed far from how I originally envisioned it by a designer or perhaps even someone like yourself. That doesn't hurt my feelings. My image is out there filling a need instead of gathering "dust" in my hard drive as John so neatly put it.

I would not expect you to alter your critique nor wish you to do so. If you hate it and I love it but through your critique I can notice a way to improve it then it is a successful interaction and I will take away the best and leave the rest. I certainly don't expect to please everyone all of the time. You are entitled to your opinion. I think your critique did help me to improve my image and I wanted to thank you.

Best Regards,
    Last edited by CLKunst; 12-28-2006 at 10:48 AM.
    Asheville Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Congrats CL. I remember that image and liked it with the bird added. How large a file did you upload?
    Thanks Gary! It was 3008 x 2008 at 240 dpi.
    Last edited by CLKunst; 12-28-2006 at 05:27 PM.
    Asheville Photographer

CL:

In the nature of FYI, I should probably put my "sandpapery responses" in the context of my experience and probably the experience of some other pros or semi-pros as well.

I started into professional competition at age 16 and there was definitely NO sugarcoating from competitors or judges despite the fact that most were twice, three and even four times my age. It was here is what you did wrong, here is what needs improvement and do better next time. Crap was crap and quality was quality. If you won, you definitely knew beyond any doubt that it was well deserved.

The other main point is that emotions have nothing to do with it. Professional judges were working from guidelines based on technical excellence and the elements of design in art.
    Hating or liking a photo was never relevant and that is how we were taught to critique.

If you think my feedback is "sandpapery" , you have not dealt with the concrete, rough reality of dealing with executives and editors in many organizations or getting the opinions of photographic competitors thrown in your face and of course when they make a good point, it can be even more difficult to take.

Photography is more than just clicking the shutter and critiquing is definitely NOT sugar coating the need for improvement, as it is done in advanced venues.

Just thought you should know, where I am coming from and assure you that my "sandpapery" style doesn't come with any emotions or personal attitudes.

Best regards,

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    CL:

In the nature of FYI, I should probably put my "sandpapery responses" in the context of my experience and probably the experience of some other pros or semi-pros as well.

If you think my feedback is "sandpapery" , you have not dealt with the concrete, rough reality of dealing with executives and editors in many organizations or getting the opinions of photographic competitors thrown in your face and of course when they make a good point, it can be even more difficult to take. . . .

Yes, thank you, I'm aware of your experience and yes, I've had my share of rejections as well, it's all apart of the art game. As I said, you can't please everyone all of the time, so you can either be bitter about a rejection or a nasty comment you get or get over yourself and press on with your personal vision. Photography isn't all about commercial or rated achievement though. I very rarely make pictures just for judges or critics, I make them for other people, to help them preserve a moment.

I suppose I should have explained myself better regarding the sand paper comment. I'm a carpenter's daughter and where I come from sand paper is what we use to smooth out the rough edges. Sure you don't want to make a blanket out of it, but it's quite useful for making pieces look and fit together better. No personal emotion is ever applied to your comments per se, I appreciate your frankness, even when I disagree. And since this is a forum of open expression and not a competition, there is room to disagree and to invite the opinions of others.

At any rate, keep doing what you do and I'll keep doing what I do and I'll see you on the boards.:thumbsup:
    Asheville Photographer

Ghost

We become very emotionally attached to our "art work" much of the time. I'm glad to see this kind of conversation going between "sandpaper critique person" and "My heart is in this photo person". So often politeness (or popularity, or cliqueism*) rules the world. Those that know my true self in person know that I'm Mr. Sandpaper as well. But socially I like to have people like me rather than hate me so I tone it down

Anyway, good discussion. Grats on the sale and I'm sure you'll continue building on this success.

* I made that word up.

Actualy the sandpapery comment gave me a chuckle. I thought it was quite creative and original.

Ronnoco

Thread Information