ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Opinionated Newbie

How to improve this image. Pre, during and post processing.

Alright class, I was going to submit this in the Critique area, but I'm looking for less of a critique and more of overall help on improving the image from start to finish.

This is a shot of my son at the beach this past weekend. It's a little squinty, but one of my personal favorites as far as family photo's go. However, I'm trying to look at it more as "how would I do this if it were a portrait?" type of perspective. Aside from the squinting, I'm wondering what you all would do to improve the image. Whether it be during the shot, or after.

Here's where I am so far. I'm thinking that a little brightening may help. Maybe some some red curve adjustment to warmen it up. My initial thought is to crop out the blur in the front. I started to crop out the left and right, but it seems to make the image a little boring.

Feel free to play with the image yourself. If you want the full sized version, let me know!

If you like the image, you can say that too

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    Todd, I like this image....
    But I feel as though it needs something, Maybe a red object in it to add some color... Not sure... But I think that as it is I would change it to B&W. Seems to be a perfect candidate for B&W.

Rachel
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    oh, and I'd offset him to the right a little, where he isn't so centered.
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

cropped

cloned some of the out of focus areas with in focus sand on bottom edge

levels- white arrow to left about 1/4 inch, middle one to right about 1/8 inch, and left the black one where it was

saturation: +9

unsharp mask- from top to bottom---99/.5/16

that's my take

other than the squint...I don't think it was bad at all...good luck with no squinting...I think it's a standard expression for my kids... ;)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by natatbeach; 09-07-2004 at 02:38 PM. Reason: forgot the pic
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Todd, first of all you need better light. Light is everything. You can take shots in this light but it will handicap you. Look at your light source first and try to plan when to go to get the best light.

Of course, when your photography is second to the family plans, you don't have that luxury. Now you have to do what you can in post processing. (There might be something you can do with fill flash but I'm a complete flash novice, sorry.)

I did a quick curves adjustment and got this. I didn't do anything else. It needs more but I stopped here to show you what affect this has.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to improve this image. Pre, during and post processing.-cam_beach-1.jpg   How to improve this image. Pre, during and post processing.-curves-1.jpg  
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

I actually like the squint. It adds character.

Opinionated Newbie
    You guys rock! The color saturation was my concern exactly!

I'm off to Baltimore, but I will be playing with this later. Battery is running out on my laptop (forgot my power cord). Must. Shut. Down....

I did a pano crop, burned around the edges, softened various areas, pulled the curves for contrast, add a little red and yellow, increased saturation, applied stepmounts and sharpened.

*sigh* Hodgy to the rescue!

Hodgy, when you burn around the edges, you do that manually, right? You don't have an action for that?

yup, I do it manually. Every image is different, therefore requires different processing. Something like burning/colorbalance/contrast is all geared towards the image as an individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten
    Alright class, I was going to submit this in the Critique area, but I'm looking for less of a critique and more of overall help on improving the image from start to finish.

This is a shot of my son at the beach this past weekend. It's a little squinty, but one of my personal favorites as far as family photo's go. However, I'm trying to look at it more as "how would I do this if it were a portrait?" type of perspective. Aside from the squinting, I'm wondering what you all would do to improve the image. Whether it be during the shot, or after.

Here's where I am so far. I'm thinking that a little brightening may help. Maybe some some red curve adjustment to warmen it up. My initial thought is to crop out the blur in the front. I started to crop out the left and right, but it seems to make the image a little boring.

Feel free to play with the image yourself. If you want the full sized version, let me know!

If you like the image, you can say that too
    The first thing I noticed was the overall coolness of the shot and the cool skin tones. I did a levels adjust and then a color correction to warm it. I liked the way Hodgy's burnin kinda isolated the subject but I think the eye is drawn to those murky edges now. Here's another way to isolate the subject. I think there is still enough sand around to place him on the beach. An oval mat would work the same way.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Opinionated Newbie
    Back from Baltimore. And none too soon! There were tornado warnings in N. Virginia as I was getting dropped off to get on my flight.

You folks are great. These are all very good. I particularly like the "Todd Patten Photography" on Hodgy's photo

I like Hodgy's approach, although it's a tad too soft for me. The burning is good. Hodgy -- I assume that you do this in combination with layers so as not to make an obvious transition?

Chunk -- you did a nice job with the oveal. It's generally not my favorite approach but this photo may be ripe for it.

Kelly -- thank you for the screen shot! I'm going to use it as a guide for my changes in Fireworks. Most of all, I am incredibly jealous that you have yourself a Mac there. I'm lusting after a G5 with a 20" wide monitor. It would nearly complete my collection of machines in my office here! Windows, Linux, Mac...

I'm glad to see that you all were thinking the same thing when it comes to the colors. I'm right on the same page with all of you.

natatbeach -- I think I am in love with you You even provided calibrations!

Opinionated Newbie
    OK. I have finally done some work on this image. I used a myriad of different suggestions here. I also used a PS curves methods I read about in "The Photopshop CS Book for Digital Photographers". Interestingly enough, I used the technique in Fireworks. I always wondered what those little droppers in the Curves window were for

Here's the end result for those who wish to see.

Well all respect, but I don't see it as an improvement if I'm really honest Todd.
    You added too many new elements, color, blur, framing (proportions), etc.

I think the image works better if you focus on:

a) the light (check the histogram to see that a simple levels correction can do wonders)
    b) A selective sharpness on the main subject
    c) Maybe a slightly different crop or some cloning.

Then print it out and the beautiful frame you buy will do the rest.

Just my $0,02 of course

Opinionated Newbie
    Elysian -- Trust me. This is why I posted this image here

I prefer the crop as I posted it (I have this thing for the cinema style views) and the black border is purely for web display (it's simple CSS assigned to the image).

I did add softening, some RGB curves adjustment for warming. I'm not married to the softening, but I do want the image to be warmer than the original. What I would like to see is your take on this image. Basically, put the adjustments that you mention to work!

Thread Information