ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

My first art festival

Well today was my first art festival and I sold a total of one framed print. There just wasn't anyone that showed up. I had several other sellers there comment that I should do well if I can get where there are people to show my photos to. They were very complimentary and told me not to give up. Here are a couple of quick snapshots of how my booth was set up, The two pictures on either side of the large framed print in the rear are done on canvas, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first art festival-dsc_4247.jpg   My first art festival-dsc_4248.jpg  
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: My first art festival

Your setup sure does look great. I agree, you should not have a problem selling, but the customers have to be there. I hope you have great success.

Phil

Very attractive and professional set up, if you can get some people in the door you should sell some prints. Don't give up it will come.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Hey, Jeff. You sold one more than I ever have.
    Hard to sell anything if no one show's up but your set-up looks good.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I always try and look on the brighter side of things so I am going to add a few positive observations that I made as I walked around to see what else was there. Out of about 75 booths I can humbly say, in my opinion, that mine was the best photography, the best prices and the nicest display of photography there. Maybe one other observation that might be relevant is that I was the only photography booth at the festival. Me being the optimist that I am, I think I will just go with the "best photography there" part. There is no need to overwhelm anyone with too many facts. It was a good learning experience for my future shows where I am planning on selling out of everything and coming home rich. Jeff

I would like to add that I have been very successful in the past when I have tried to sell my my prints to individuals, so I feel that if I can get to somewhere that has a big crowd my chances will improve greatly. The lady in the booth next to me said she normally does very well and she only sold $22.00 worth of items the entire day. So on another positive point I out sold her.

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Way to go Jeff, the weather probably kept some people away, and as you said you had the best photo display and photos and the best prices. If you show up on a consistant basis word of mouth will get out and help.
    Bill,

Canon T2i, 18-135 IS

Quote Originally Posted by w.slayman
    Way to go Jeff, the weather probably kept some people away, and as you said you had the best photo display and photos and the best prices. If you show up on a consistant basis word of mouth will get out and help.
    The temperature was in the low thirties and for us Southerners that is pretty cold and with having heated malls around we just didn't have a chance. I feel that at my next outing that I have the potential of doing at least twice the volume if not better! LOL Jeff

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

It looks good Jeff. The first time (and many times after) are always big learning experiences. I see you have a box of matted prints, which I think is a great way to go. When I do art fairs like this, I have a much larger selection of matted prints than I do framed prints. It's a cheaper price point for the customer and gives them the opportunity to frame it however they choose.

I also like having a few things at an even lower price point. I have bookmarks that I sell for $2 and cards I sell for $4. It takes a lot of small sales to add up to a large framed print, but they do add up. People are much more willing to buy a $4 card than they are a $40 or $400 print.

I like the way you have the large prints at the back or your booth. It should really help to draw visitors inside your tent.

I love those rustic wooden frames. Do you buy those or make them yourself? Any particular reason why many of your framed prints aren't matted? Just curious.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    It looks good Jeff. The first time (and many times after) are always big learning experiences. I see you have a box of matted prints, which I think is a great way to go. When I do art fairs like this, I have a much larger selection of matted prints than I do framed prints. It's a cheaper price point for the customer and gives them the opportunity to frame it however they choose.

I also like having a few things at an even lower price point. I have bookmarks that I sell for $2 and cards I sell for $4. It takes a lot of small sales to add up to a large framed print, but they do add up. People are much more willing to buy a $4 card than they are a $40 or $400 print.

I like the way you have the large prints at the back or your booth. It should really help to draw visitors inside your tent.

I love those rustic wooden frames. Do you buy those or make them yourself? Any particular reason why many of your framed prints aren't matted? Just curious.
    Thanks to everyone for your kind comments. Mike, the older barn wood looking frames have a piece of wood inset that looks like a mat so those I didn't think needed them. All frames were bought at Hobby Lobby keeping the cost down so people would buy them was another reason. I did try some of my 11x14 prints in a 16x20 frames with a mat and to me it made the print look real small due to having too much mat around them. The 8x10's were priced at $35.00, 11x14 $45.00 the 16x20 was $65.00. The two 20x30 canvas prints were $250.00 and the 20x30 framed print in the rear was $325.00. The big print was double matted with acid free mats and also had museum glass in it. I was hoping that other photographers would be there so I could get a feel for pricing and how my photos measured up but that didn't happen. I thought my prices were reasonable and would allow me to get some prints out in the public and as I built up some kind of reputation the prices would go up. I welcome your suggestions or anyone else that has ideas that may help me out. As I have said before this is my first time and there is much to learn, Jeff

Jeff,

I sold my first print yesterday afternoon, it was a fluke sale at the photo shop, a woman just happened to see my print of Lake Fredrick (in the Critique Forum see "Walk at Dawn on the Intercostal"), and asked if I would sell a big copy of it. I said sure how about $20.00 and you pay for the print, matting and framing, she said OK. After the print was made she asked me to sign the front, and identify the subject and date on the back. Maybe I should have asked for more. :lol: So I think your prices are fine.
    Bill,

Canon T2i, 18-135 IS

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Ok..curiousity makes me ask which one did you sell?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Frog, it was a 11x14 of the picture below in a barn wood type frame, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first art festival-dsc_2401-harbor-view-copy.jpg-web.jpg  

I agree with Frog,you need to post the picture that you sold, PLEASE.
    Bill,

Canon T2i, 18-135 IS

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Thanks to everyone for your kind comments. Mike, the older barn wood looking frames have a piece of wood inset that looks like a mat so those I didn't think needed them. All frames were bought at Hobby Lobby keeping the cost down so people would buy them was another reason. I did try some of my 11x14 prints in a 16x20 frames with a mat and to me it made the print look real small due to having too much mat around them. The 8x10's were priced at $35.00, 11x14 $45.00 the 16x20 was $65.00. The two 20x30 canvas prints were $250.00 and the 20x30 framed print in the rear was $325.00. The big print was double matted with acid free mats and also had museum glass in it. I was hoping that other photographers would be there so I could get a feel for pricing and how my photos measured up but that didn't happen. I thought my prices were reasonable and would allow me to get some prints out in the public and as I built up some kind of reputation the prices would go up. I welcome your suggestions or anyone else that has ideas that may help me out. As I have said before this is my first time and there is much to learn, Jeff
    Thanks for the info Jeff. Are all of these prices you have listed for the framed prints? If so, I think you are pretty low. Of course I don't know anything about the market you're in or what you have invested as far as your time and materials go. I completely understand what you mean by selling your prints at a reasonable price to get them out there and then go up from there. I sell my matted 8x10's (no frame) for $35. I charge $70 for the framed version. One of the first markets I went to I looked to see what the other photographers were selling for. I think I was the highest priced one there. I thought about lowering my prices to be more inline with the others, but in the end I decided not to. I think I ended up outselling all of them that day.

One other thing that I have kind of decided on this year is that I'm going to start to focus on larger prints. I want to start to get away from the 8x10's and go a little larger.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Thanks for the info Jeff. Are all of these prices you have listed for the framed prints? If so, I think you are pretty low. Of course I don't know anything about the market you're in or what you have invested as far as your time and materials go. I completely understand what you mean by selling your prints at a reasonable price to get them out there and then go up from there. I sell my matted 8x10's (no frame) for $35. I charge $70 for the framed version. One of the first markets I went to I looked to see what the other photographers were selling for. I think I was the highest priced one there. I thought about lowering my prices to be more inline with the others, but in the end I decided not to. I think I ended up outselling all of them that day.

One other thing that I have kind of decided on this year is that I'm going to start to focus on larger prints. I want to start to get away from the 8x10's and go a little larger.
    Mike, up until now the smallest print I have made was an 11x14 and I prefer the 20x30 inch prints. The problem is that the average person can't use a 20x30 inch print. I have sold them to doctors and people for their waiting rooms or offices but those customers are limited, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Mike, up until now the smallest print I have made was an 11x14 and I prefer the 20x30 inch prints. The problem is that the average person can't use a 20x30 inch print. I have sold them to doctors and people for their waiting rooms or offices but those customers are limited, Jeff

Yeah, I understand. You are cutting out a big chunk of potential buyers if you go too big and too expensive. One thing I do really like about the smaller prints (8x10's, 8x12's) is that I can pack a lot of them in a tote and it makes them very easy to store and transport.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Jeff, congrats on getting out there and taking part in the showing. Having sold one is some icing on the cake. Your set up looks very neat and it tells a lot about the artist/photographer i that they take pride in their work and care about presentaion. That goes a long way when it comes to establishing a reputation for yourself as you do more shows.
    great looking display with fine photography.
    All the best to you. Keep us posted of your future exhibits.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

GB1

Congrats on your first show. I've also noticed how hard it is for photographers to sell their work, probably due to so many shows and so much competition (I don't really try to sell my stuff at this pt) . I think there's many aspects of it: the photography, the framing and matting, and the marketing.

BTW - I like some of your shots there, esp that sailboat one on the bottom right.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Way to go, Grandpaw!! Do you sell online?

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shebang
    Way to go, Grandpaw!! Do you sell online?
    Paula, as of right now I do not have any way to sell photos on line but I would like to get a website and do that when I figure out how to set it up, Jeff

Thread Information