ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Quickie! Who's up for a Boston Mini-Gathering?

Hey all

I am going to be in the Boston area on the weekend of June 5-6. I want to see the city as I've never been there and I would like someone to show me around. I've contacted Natalie and she's down to hang with me. Anyone else want to come?

I'm NOT trying to steal Natalie's thunder from her Official Boston Gathering later this summer! So if you're on the fence about which to come to, come to hers. This is just an impromptu meeting, if that.

Wanna get together to eat beans and throw tea in the ocean? Please post! I'd imagine best meeting day would be Saturday, but I'm open.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Liz

Rick........since you moved the date......on your Boston Gathering....

I "stuck" it here. I didn't sticky it before as it looked like it was heading for September or later - long way off.

BTW, I emailed PJ to ask him to post the Gathering "sticky" threads to the Gathering (forum). So everyone will know where to post.

I hope you get lots of people Nat!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Hey all

I am going to be in the Boston area on the weekend of June 5-6. I want to see the city as I've never been there and I would like someone to show me around. I've contacted Natalie and she's down to hang with me. Anyone else want to come?

I'm NOT trying to steal Natalie's thunder from her Official Boston Gathering later this summer! So if you're on the fence about which to come to, come to hers. This is just an impromptu meeting, if that.

Wanna get together to eat beans and throw tea in the ocean? Please post! I'd imagine best meeting day would be Saturday, but I'm open.

Thanks,
    Rick

No thunder Stolen

I'm game as was stated and could use help in a inner city informational way---I'm only familiar with the North Shore (gloucester,Rockport areas) and II'm still interested in having a LARGER Fall gathering....

so come one come all....
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thanks Liz!

I saw that pop up there right away and I knew you must be watching
    Walter Rick Long

Boston Gatherings

I missed the thread about the Boston Gathering; when is it?

As for a mini-gathering, I should be around. What did you have in mind? Walking the Freedom Trail? Harvard Square? Fenway Park?
    -dave

Whatever makes Boston "Boston"

I don't know what's up there. Is there an interesting downtown? Landmarks? Monuments? Touristy things? Historical? I wouldn't be into sports stuff, but that's just me.
    Walter Rick Long

Boston to me

may be differnet than other people's Boston. Well, let them speak. Boston is a great walking city. You can see quite a bit walking and using the "T" (subway) I'd suggest going to Quincy Market/Fanuel hall--a historical/shopping mecca with street performers etc. From here it's a short walk through the Boston Common the Public Garden (very picturesque with a pond with swan boats, weeping willows, ducks, flowers, lovers, muggers, and theives {oh wait--those last three are along the Charles}). There's an observatory in the John Hancock building with fantastic views of Boston nearby. You could then head up to Beacon Hill and maybe stand outside John Kerry's house and heckle. Or head the other way and walk a bit of the Freedom Trail and see some historical sights including the Constitution (oldest commisioned war ship) in the Charlestown Navy Yard on the Boston Harbor . That's just Boston proper--not including the Cambridge side, which can be just as interesting.

If you're only 27

I guess I'd suggest we make a few stops in Cambridge--there are plenty of excellent bars with great bands....happy birthday.

This is great!

I'd love to do a walking/train tour of Boston! That's more what I had in my mind. You beat me to the punch with my next question: is there a good place to get views of the city? Sounds like there is. I am big into city/skyline shots these days.

Thanks again. We'll definitely forge something here.
    Walter Rick Long

Boston Skyline

Boston doesn't have the greatest looking skyline from land..you really have to be out in the harbor for the best views, but from a couple of marinas in Charlestown you can get some really good views. All within easy walking distance of town.

I may or may not be in town that weekend... If in town, hey, I'll join ya!

As far as city skyline shots go:

* Charlestown (Bunker Hill) - Have yet to investigate it, but I'm sure it's there. Also rich in historical content, and can climb to top of Bunker Hill monument.

* If you're up for some hiking (also opportunities for nature photography):
    (1) Blue Hills - a little distant, need a clear day (or good PhotoShop skills).
    (2) Middlesex Fells - never been there, but the area seems like it would have good views.
    (3) Arnold Arboretum (Jamaica Plain) - need to find the highest spot, forgot exactly where it is.

* Lynn waterfront, Nahant beaches. A little distant, but potential for dramatic shots, esp. on overcast days.

* My favorite (shhh, secret spot): Winthrop, by a playground on the west side, where the Winthrop coast "bends." It's you, then water, then Logan Airport, then the city. Planes coming in for a landing zoom right over your head.

* Other spots, I'm sure, west and NW of the city. A topographic map of metro Boston is on my shopping list.

* Take a commuter ferry across the bay? (Never done it)

- Yaron

I'm in!

Hey all,

I'm in!! I live in the South End, so I'm up for meeting wherever works. I have done the "tourist" thing a number of times, but I love it and am always up for another go-round. Plus, I always seem to find some new experience....

I didn't read all of the ideas for touring Boston featured in the replies, but I would enjoy a harbor cruise for an hour or so if the group is so inclined. But really, I'd just enjoy hanging out.

Cheers, Stew

It all sounds good

to me.

I'm up for a walking/railing/boating tour of Boston. I just took a 3 Hour boat Tour around Manhattan Island with the New York Gatherers so the same around Boston sounds fitting

I'll keep this thread as up to date as I can. As mentioned, it looks like Saturday June 5 is the day. I'll be touring VT/NH/ME for the few days prior to that.

Thanks all!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Thread Information