ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Serious Underwater Ocean Photography - questions.....

My good friend is a diver instructor, he's the highest level of SCUBA certification. He wants to take me and my other camera friend and certify us up, and then take us around the world to do underwater photography. He's a total pro, runs SCUBA classes and certifications all year round.

So now, I want to know if anyone's got the low down on some good housings and maybe strobes for the 10D. I have seen the Light & Motion housings, and some nice Jonah housings, but not sure what I want. I also note that Jonah makes a housing for the 550ex.

Anyone ever done this? If I am gonna be SCUBAing, I most definitley want to take my camera and be a prolific underwater photographer. Where my friend is a expert, and he's also a VERY active outdoorsman and adventurer, I'd be dumb to pass this up (even though it scares me)...
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

First glance

I read serious underwear photography.

Some days you just need to slow down

adina

I'm a diver -have taken some underwater shots but not a whole lot. You need special colored filters depending on the depth and color of the water - pink lenses for nj water (lol) which is black algae, but may not need a filter in Hawaii's water - blue/green algae. There is a special certification for underwater photography - maybe you should look at that - it's a whole new world! Of course, you could always just get the photography pak, below, which has the video and book for underwater photography, that way you will know exactly what you need. It's not just point and shoot down there- beyond 15 feet down it's pretty dark and you lose all contrast and it gets worse as you get deeper (for pictures, more fun for the diver!).

http://www.padi.com/english/common/c...otographer.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    My good friend is a diver instructor, he's the highest level of SCUBA certification. He wants to take me and my other camera friend and certify us up, and then take us around the world to do underwater photography. He's a total pro, runs SCUBA classes and certifications all year round.

So now, I want to know if anyone's got the low down on some good housings and maybe strobes for the 10D. I have seen the Light & Motion housings, and some nice Jonah housings, but not sure what I want. I also note that Jonah makes a housing for the 550ex.

Anyone ever done this? If I am gonna be SCUBAing, I most definitley want to take my camera and be a prolific underwater photographer. Where my friend is a expert, and he's also a VERY active outdoorsman and adventurer, I'd be dumb to pass this up (even though it scares me)...
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

The first place he wants to go is this place in mexico... totally non-tourist, we rent a house on a beach for 50 dollars a day PER GROUP... says the water is clear, nice, and that there is TONS of underwater life and colors. Of course, non-tourist mexico can be scary, especially when carrying thousands of dollars of camera and scuba gear, but /shrug...

I'll look into that stuff you mentioned.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

I really think you should at least get the video for underwater photography - Padi is EXCELLENT at covering all the bases in that topic! Too much to explain here! ;)
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

my hubby is a diver

and I have to agree with Janie...what you see with the naked eye is going to another story all together. from the little LArry has explained to me...checking out some videos or books might be wise...

take a chance and seize the day but make sure you're informed. You can never learn to much.

Great thread I've always wanted more info on it....
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thread Information