ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Don't tell Gerry Lamarre to get a DSLR

Was surprised when I was talking to Gerry Lamarre a very successful wild life photographer here in Washington State to learn that he only shoots film nothing is digital. He was saying as a complete lab setup at his location so I guess it makes since. He was saying that in large poster size prints can not get the color or quality from digital than you can from film.
    here is a link to his website if anybody wants to check out his work.
    http://www.wildlifephotos.com

Ray Still

Re: Don't tell Gerry Lamarre to get a DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by Abiciriderback
    He was saying that in large poster size prints can not get the color or quality from digital than you can from film.
    I worked for a custom color lab for years. I printed mural prints (up to 50x80 inches) from negs, transparencies, and later, from digital files. And I completely disagree. You can use the same materials and processes to make wet prints from digital so the color will be pretty much the same. It's one thing to not like the quality of digital, but it's just not true that large prints will be different. And if you think that digital can't match the quality of film, then I believe you don't know how to handle your digital files. Liking the workflow of film better is something that can't be argued with. And the tonal qualities of film can be different - or at least easier to achieve by just using film. But I think it's irresponsible to say that you can't get the quality from digital that you can from film - at least without qualifying that statement in very specific ways.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information