• 05-25-2004, 12:20 PM
    schrackman
    glossy or matte - which do you prefer and why?
    I just took a bunch of digital files in yesterday for development, and of course was given the option of glossy or matte. I've always had glossy photos printed but this time I opted for matte simply because I plan to frame a few and the non-glare characteristic of the paper appealed to me as being the best choice. Just curious as to which type of photo paper others prefer and for what reasons?

Ray
  • 05-25-2004, 12:30 PM
    Speed
    Matte
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schrackman
    I just took a bunch of digital files in yesterday for development, and of course was given the option of glossy or matte. I've always had glossy photos printed but this time I opted for matte simply because I plan to frame a few and the non-glare characteristic of the paper appealed to me as being the best choice. Just curious as to which type of photo paper others prefer and for what reasons?

Ray

I like the way it looks. Glossy digital prints seem to show more detail, and richer colors, but I just like the way matte looks. My two cents worth. But, you did ask! ;-)
  • 05-26-2004, 04:45 AM
    natatbeach
    I prefer semi or matte
    in paints and paper;)

I've always felt like the colors look more saturated on matte and why spend more money on non glare glass when you can get the same effect(sort of) without dulling your print. For fine detail glossy(bleah) seems to work better.
  • 05-26-2004, 08:21 AM
    mtbbrian
    What Speed said...
    I am with my fellow Nikon Samurai, glossy shows more detail and makes the colors "pop", but sometimes I just like matte.
    I have six photographs hanging at home and half are glosssy and half are matte.
    I think it varies with each photograph.
    Great thread!
    Brian