ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Getting Naked In Maine And Finding A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....

As you know last week I was at the The Maine Photographic Workshops
    The workshop I was in was called, "In Search Of The Personal"
    And I must say that I now have a deeper and richer understanding of what place photography is and it's place in my life.
    So here are a few of the snapshots I did to illustrate my experience there.
    This first picture is of the Union Hall, at the Maine Photographic Workshops.
    The second one is of yours truly standing in front of said building.
    The workshops begin with a talk on creative living by the workshops founder and director David Lyman.
    More to come.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting Naked In Maine And Finding  A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....-maine_pws_1.jpg   Getting Naked In Maine And Finding  A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....-maine_pws_2.jpg   Getting Naked In Maine And Finding  A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....-maine_pws_3.jpg  
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: Getting Naked In Maine and Getting A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....

Even though we all met for the first time on Sunday it was very brief. On Monday, we all got together to show, critique some and got to know one another personally and photographically.
    This first picture is of the instructor, John Goodman, who is a Boston based editorial and artistic photographer. I have never met someone who was excited, energetic and plain into photography and art as he is.
    His energy nourished my seemingly malnourished mind and soul.

Picture two is another from this time. After the once over of each person's work, John gave each one us an assignment for the week. In addition to his energy and excitment, his is extremly insightful, each assignment he gave challenged each one of to find that deeper meaning in our photography.

My assignment was to do self portraits. So I made a real effort to really do something that would help me find myself. More on that later.....

I won't bore you with much about the nights, but with the exception of the first night, they all ended at a local pub.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting Naked In Maine And Finding  A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....-maine_pws_4.jpg   Getting Naked In Maine And Finding  A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....-maine_pws_5.jpg   Getting Naked In Maine And Finding  A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....-maine_pws_6.jpg  
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Re: Getting Naked In Maine and Getting A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....

Our mornings were more or less spent looking at the previous days work. The energy was very HIGH and POWERFUL.

Sometimes we have these very personal discussions as a group about our lives it wasn't always directly about photography, but it always had a way of affecting of becoming so personal that it gave us things to think about that will cause our photography to be that much more meanginful and that much better.

On one or two occassions we met outside, becuase it got HOT...

This last picture, shows the energy and commitment we all shared and added to. We were all very into eachothers photography and were very focused in on the person whose work was being shown at that time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting Naked In Maine And Finding  A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....-maine_pws_7.jpg   Getting Naked In Maine And Finding  A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....-maine_pws_8.jpg   Getting Naked In Maine And Finding  A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....-maine_pws_9.jpg  
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Re: Getting Naked In Maine and Finding A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....

This is a picture of what I believe to be the finest photographic bookshop that ever was.
    http://www.twphotobooks.com/.
    Tim Whelan's Fine Books and Prints. It's proprietor, Tim Whelan is equally passionate about photography and books, if it is a book on or about photography he knows about it.

Meal time, especially dinner was another time where the energy was HIGH, every conversation around centered on photography, your photography, my photography, the photography of so and so, the merits of digital or film, and so on! I have never been in a place where photography was discussed in so many wonderful and exciting ways.
    Picture here are my instructor, one of my class members(Gwen a fine, fine art photographer) and fellow instructor Drew Gardner, a commercial photographer from the UK.

Not every meal was this gourmet, this was the last dinner on Friday, which was followed by a slide show of the best work from each class. The was always great and plentiful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting Naked In Maine And Finding  A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....-maine_pws_10.jpg   Getting Naked In Maine And Finding  A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....-maine_pws_11.jpg   Getting Naked In Maine And Finding  A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....-maine_pws_12.jpg  
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Thumbs up Here's The Naked Part...

OK, so here are two of the many photographs I made this past week.

This first one is one of the self portraits I did.
    I look at it as being the washing away of the photographer I was before and the new photographer I am and will become.
    The biggest thing I got from the workshops is a deeper understand of just what photography means in my life, before I thought of myself as mearly a photographer. Now I feel that photography is more of an act of life.

This is just a small part of the naked part..... :aureola:

This next photograph is of some kayaks I saw while walking around the villeage of Rockport.
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Maine, the end........

This is the last picture I made at the Maine Photographic Workshops.
    It's of my classmate and friend Jonh Conway, an excellent photographer from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.

I realize that how I have described my experience you might think that it wasn't all that great of experience, but it was. The workshop I was a part of was just what I needed.
    The Maine Photographic Workshops, offers several types of AWESOME workshops, there is certain to be one for you, no matter where you are with your photography.
    If you can, I URGE you to go, your photography will repay you for it, exponentially.

Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting Naked In Maine And Finding  A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....-maine_pws_13.jpg  
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Liz

Re: Maine, the end........

I realize that how I have described my experience you might think that it wasn't all that great of experience, but it was. The workshop I was a part of was just what I needed.
    The Maine Photographic Workshops, offers several types of AWESOME workshops, there is certain to be one for you, no matter where you are with your photography.
    If you can, I URGE you to go, your photography will repay you for it, exponentially

Brian,
    Reading your description of your experience this past week along with viewing the images you posted, there isn't a doubt in my mind how great it was for you. I could "feel" your emotion and excitement. It's evident how much your love of photography has also grown. I'm really happy for you - wish I could go to one of these. Maybe someday.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your photography now! Maybe you could teach the rest of us a few things.......me for instance!

Liz

Re: Getting Naked In Maine And Finding A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....

Brian, I too can see and feel the excitement you have over your trip to the workshop. You sounded excited in previous posts leading to it also. It sounds like you met some great people that now you can call your friends. It also seems like you have gotten alot out of the workshop and look forward to showing off what you have learned. Your work before the workshop was outstanding, can't wait to see what is on its way !! Glad to hear you had a great time and experience.
    Ben

Re: Getting Naked In Maine And Finding A Deeper Understand Of My Photography....

Thank you for sharing your experience and excitement with us. I love the photo of the kayaks - and what a wonderful way with words you have!

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I can also echo what Liz said and add that I feel the effect it had on your soul as well. It was clearly a deeply moving experience.

Your "naked" shot is something else, I can't really say I've seen one like that before. Being naked is quite the humbling experience, isn't it? I assumed you meant naked in the metaphor sense until I saw your self-portrait. The cool thing about nakedness is the sense of freedom it lends us, after the initial nerves

Great story Bri!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Great story, Brian! I'm sure this experience will benefit you for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    The cool thing about nakedness is the sense of freedom it lends us, after the initial nerves

Great story Bri!

Rick
    I had no problem with getting naked, the place I was(for this and all of my naked portraits) at was pretty isolated.
    I am comfortable with myself, so it was really no problem!
    Yes, I was feeling very liberating!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

drg

Welcome back!

The photos you have posted show you using color differently than I've seen in your previous work. Looks good!

Glad you found the workshops so beneficial. I did notice last week when you first posted where you were that you made the website. (Listing of scholarship attendees, etc.)

Love those kayaks!!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

As I have mentioned, the biggest thing I got from my week in Maine, was just how personal and deep meaning is to me and my life.
    It is so perssonal and meaning that on occassion I make photographs about some of the things going on in my life, as is the case with this photograph. When I did, it was very intutitive, I was at this park saw the scene and made the photograph. At the time I had no idea what the photograph really meant to me.
    The hands are my son's and if you know about our relationship and how strained it can be and what not.
    I found out through the course of the week that this photograph represents my relationship with my son...

Brian

高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Hi Brian,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It really does sound like the workshop had a profound impact on you. That's fantastic. I didn't know anything about this place until I saw your previous post, which lead me to read through their website. The topic of the workshop you chose is something I've been thinking a lot about lately, probably because I've been reading some Freeman Patterson books. Every where you look, you find information on equipment and technical details, but there's very little discussion of self expression and meaning. Thanks for bringing this place to my attention and for bringing this topic up for discussion. Good luck with your new found perspective.

Paul

Paul,
    Then it sounds like you should be going next year!
    I'd recommend you check out Goodman's website and look at the Bio/Contact page, go to the "Teaching" section for more info.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Paul,
    Then it sounds like you should be going next year!
    I'd recommend you check out Goodman's website and look at the Bio/Contact page, go to the "Teaching" section for more info.
    Brian
    Hi Brian,

I'd love to go next summer, but I doubt I can. Even despite your ringing endorsement, I'm not sure if it would be the best use of my money. Photography is really a luxury for me, and an expense like this is hard to justify. I'll just have to wait and see if I can find a way.

Paul

Paul,
    I SOOOOO know where you are coming from as far as the costs go.
    I have been wanting to attend "The Workshops" for a LONG time.
    I was EXTREMELY fortunate and THANKFUL for that scholarship.
    A conservative estimate for funds would be $2200. Which would include tuition, room and board, lab fees, airfare and miscellanous supplies (film or what ever...) My scholarship paid for tution, room and board and lab fees.
    But if you get to that bookstore, you might blow that!
    I went there with a book budget of $100 and blew it by $75 or so.
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Paul,
    I SOOOOO know where you are coming from as far as the costs go.
    I have been wanting to attend "The Workshops" for a LONG time.
    I was EXTREMELY fortunate and THANKFUL for that scholarship.
    A conservative estimate for funds would be $2200. Which would include tuition, room and board, lab fees, airfare and miscellanous supplies (film or what ever...) My scholarship paid for tution, room and board and lab fees.
    But if you get to that bookstore, you might blow that!
    I went there with a book budget of $100 and blew it by $75 or so.
    Brian
    Yep. $2200 is almost exactly what I figured up as a best case scenario. This is why I want to make a little money with my photography. Then I could justify this kind of spending. Unfortunatley, I'm not there yet.

I can only imagine the book store. I gave my mom a list of books, to help her pick a b-day gift for me, thinking she'd buy one. She bought them all. I've got some reading to do.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    Yep. $2200 is almost exactly what I figured up as a best case scenario. This is why I want to make a little money with my photography. Then I could justify this kind of spending. Unfortunatley, I'm not there yet.

I can only imagine the book store. I gave my mom a list of books, to help her pick a b-day gift for me, thinking she'd buy one. She bought them all. I've got some reading to do.

Paul

Whatever you have to do, just keep the dream alive!
    I hope you looked at the website for the bookstore.
    It was such a cool bookstore!
    Books are good! Photo Books AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When is your b-day anyway?
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

I didn't check out the bookstore webpage, but I will. Been busy. My birthday was the 3rd. The books I got are instructional. I'm new to digital, so I needed some help in that area, plus I wanted Photography and the Art of Seeing by Freeman Patterson. I'm in the middle of reading Photographing the World Around You by Freeman Patterson, and so far I think it's great. I have a few photobooks too, but I need many many more.

Paul

Well from one Virgo to another, Happy B-Day Paul!
    Mine is less than a week later!
    I was able to justify my last book purchase as an early b-day present to myself!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Well from one Virgo to another, Happy B-Day Paul!
    Mine is less than a week later!
    I was able to justify my last book purchase as an early b-day present to myself!
    Brian
    Thanks, Brian! I guess you thought I was saying Sep 3? Sorry, I meant Aug 3. I'm a Leo. Just turned 29.

Happy Birthday to you too!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    Thanks, Brian! I guess you thought I was saying Sep 3? Sorry, I meant Aug 3. I'm a Leo. Just turned 29.

Happy Birthday to you too!

Paul
    DOH!
    You're right Paul!
    I did read that as Sept and not August.
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Re: Here's The Naked Part...

Now I feel that photography is more of an act of life.
    Wow. Awesome, Brian.

Thread Information