ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

" The Gates" installation in Central Park, N.Y.C

I'm sure you have all heard of this huge installation that is here in Central Park called The Gates. . .by Jeane Claude and Christo. There are 23 miles of randomly placed gates with Safron fabric draped over and will be up for 16 days and then forever gone.
    There has been much controversey here about them, sparked mostly I would think because of the enormity and expense of this project. I went to see them a few days ago in the morning and was somewhat disappointed with it as my expectations proved to be higher.
    This exhibit has sparked much conversation and even debate, some of which has surprised me. On a public radio station here the other evening, there was a debate going on as to whether or not Art should have meaning.( Christo and Jeane Claude state that this installation has no meaning at all , only visual delight and feel) I am of the mind that no meaning is necessary and sometimes things are just meant to be visually appealing.
    Anyway, here are some shots of the Gates, just a small area of the park at 106th street.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails " The Gates" installation in Central Park, N.Y.C-46110023thegatesweb.jpg   " The Gates" installation in Central Park, N.Y.C-46110022thegatesweb.jpg   " The Gates" installation in Central Park, N.Y.C-46110029thegatesweb.jpg   " The Gates" installation in Central Park, N.Y.C-46110028thegatesweb.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: " The Gates" installation in Central Park, N.Y.C

Thanks for sharing this Gary.

This to me is a bit like that guy that travels the world and takes photos of nude people in large groups.

I think it is a total waste of money and wouldn't waste my time going to see it, especially seeing I live downunder in Aussieland.

The money could have been spent more wisely I think on better humanitarian things, like feed the poor.

But that doesn't seem to be much of a priority of anyone who has heaps of money or Governments in General World wide. Even though there has been an outpouring of money to the Tsunarmi Victims, but how much of that will really get to where it is needed, I wonder.

Of the shots your posted I think the last three are much better than the first one for interest sake that is. The first one seems a little dark.

as long as it's temporary I have no problem with it. If it were permanent, I'd hope to find something extremely redeeming about the project.

I felt the same feelings about an exhibit I went to in London. It sounded so neat, a labyrinth of passages, all with different shapes and sizes and angles of walls and ceilings, painted an industrial color to symbolize the artists roots in a communist country. But when I got there, it was just a boring brown, relatively easy to navigate passageway. Although I surprised myself with the feelings of fun whimsy I felt when I got lost trying to get back out.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

And the point of putting up these gates is.....? Call me oblivious, but does no one else see the point in this?! I'm all for free speech, and right to art, but, this isn't demonstrating or protesting anything (to my knowledge). Anybody know of the 'motive' behind this?!

Sorry stuff like this doesn't make the Canadian news

Jared

Oh come on, it gives us something to photograph!

I can't say I know much about their work, but I'm not sure I get it either...

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: Waste of Money and Time!

People really don't call either displays of cloth ART do they????

THIS GUY NEEDS A LITTERING TICKET
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

You gotta give Cristo and Jean Claude credit though..
    All the funding for their "projects" is theirs.
    I saw one, of several, new story on them that said they make money to do their "projects", by selling drawings of them.
    Thanks Gary for sharring your view of this "project".
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Here's a link to all of their past and present projects. http://christojeanneclaude.net/gaso.html
    Lara

I heard on the news that there had been some graffiti sprayed on some of it - now THAT makes it art! They should invite graffiti to be on all of them! lol
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Speaking of gaffitti

the local bathroom artists have been quite artistic lately at work My manager repaints weekly, but the sharpie picassos love the fresh canvas

I must take images next time they are good I love the CRIPS 373 guy's are the best.

BTW..... I may agree if they were graffittied up it maight be "art", but ONLY then.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

I thought it was a total waste of time & money - UNTIL I SAW IT YESTERDAY!
    It added a nice feeling to a drab, grey, mid-February Central Park.

here's a few more from different perspectives:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails " The Gates" installation in Central Park, N.Y.C-across-lake-2.jpg   " The Gates" installation in Central Park, N.Y.C-long-winding-road.jpg   " The Gates" installation in Central Park, N.Y.C-shadows.jpg   " The Gates" installation in Central Park, N.Y.C-geometry.jpg  
    http://liphotoman.smugmug.com/

We share the same biology, Regardless of ideology

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

It looks like it got a few people out into the park for some excersize. Would those same people have gone out to walk anyhow? I dunno but I bet a few might not have. Sounds like they pay for it themselves so I will not be one to judge it a waste (many of my passions I'm sure people consider a waste).

To each their own that's for sure. Let's hope they recycle all that metal

Liz

Talking Typical NY!

Everyone knows that in NYC nothing is a surprise! A lot of weird things go on in NY - and most of us enjoy quite a bit of them! Myself included.

In my taste, this is not Art - but it's fun watching all the people coming out in the middle of February, the most "depressing" month of the year for many people (according to the poles).

I'm going to go see it - hopefully - just to see it. I love going to the City when tens of thousands of others are there for some fun!

BTW - these are excellent pictures - my favorite is the last one.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by coachgns
    I thought it was a total waste of time & money - UNTIL I SAW IT YESTERDAY!
    It added a nice feeling to a drab, grey, mid-February Central Park.

here's a few more from different perspectives:

I personally do not have a problem with the expense (they fund it themseleves, without the project there would be no 23 million bucks) it is providing all the buisnesses around the area with lots of people and visitors, and I don't think there needs to be a "point" to it at all. I just feel as if it did not meet my expectations for what I felt it could have been.
    I also feel as if many people that "follow"art, seem to try to look into things more deeply than needed or intended. There was an exhibit in a local gallery a while back that was a "sculpture" put together with plastic buckets, plastic broom handles, some packaging tape and weight lifter belts. I, and others I know, found it so unappealing and completely did not get it. I thought it would have had potential if old rustic buckets and wooden handles, and worn out belts were used, but was only my opinion. Then I read the artists writings about it and he went on to describe how the piece relates the hardships of man and other deep meanings and I just thought " What the *&)$!"
    Then I was told later on that another gallery or museum actually had picked up the exhibit to display for several months. I remember feeling as though maybe I should not be involved in the arts as I apparently am missing something.
    A friend of a friend of mine is in a relationship with an artist (very talented, makes an extremely good living off his work and has a large following), and has said that sometimes he sells work for thousands of dollars that he feels is crap that he produced but they seem to find deep meaning and delight in it as it is from him and because of his reputation, they believe whatever he produces is genius. So, sometimes it's who's behind the work as well as expectations set that can give a piece something "more than meets the eye"

gary

Liz

Just an "aside"

A few years ago I read an article in Readers Digest about some "priceless" paintings. One of the "priceless paintings" was a plain white canvas - painted white. That's it! I forgot the name of the "artist" or whoever "painted" it. Hmmmmmmm Art?

Oh - I think it was called "White on White"

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I personally do not have a problem with the expense (they fund it themseleves, without the project there would be no 23 million bucks) it is providing all the buisnesses around the area with lots of people and visitors, and I don't think there needs to be a "point" to it at all. I just feel as if it did not meet my expectations for what I felt it could have been.
    I also feel as if many people that "follow"art, seem to try to look into things more deeply than needed or intended. There was an exhibit in a local gallery a while back that was a "sculpture" put together with plastic buckets, plastic broom handles, some packaging tape and weight lifter belts. I, and others I know, found it so unappealing and completely did not get it. I thought it would have had potential if old rustic buckets and wooden handles, and worn out belts were used, but was only my opinion. Then I read the artists writings about it and he went on to describe how the piece relates the hardships of man and other deep meanings and I just thought " What the *&)$!"
    Then I was told later on that another gallery or museum actually had picked up the exhibit to display for several months. I remember feeling as though maybe I should not be involved in the arts as I apparently am missing something.
    A friend of a friend of mine is in a relationship with an artist (very talented, makes an extremely good living off his work and has a large following), and has said that sometimes he sells work for thousands of dollars that he feels is crap that he produced but they seem to find deep meaning and delight in it as it is from him and because of his reputation, they believe whatever he produces is genius. So, sometimes it's who's behind the work as well as expectations set that can give a piece something "more than meets the eye"

Thanks, Liz. It was fun climbing up rocks, walking in the mud, etc to snap pics for a couple of hours.
    That was followed by a great NYC tradition - Sunday Brunch at one of the many Upper West Side restaurants where you can get some value, esp for Brunch.

There would Never be this many people in the park on a sunday in February. This exhibit is drawing people into the city, helping the city with purchases from shops in the Park, helping local businesses with all the extra customers for a February, and helping the hotels (I heard there were no rooms available this weekend - some of it due to President's Day holiday, but much of it attributed to the Gates)
    http://liphotoman.smugmug.com/

We share the same biology, Regardless of ideology

Yes Liz, that was someone down here in Australia that did that, and it was costed at $100,000 if I remember correctly, it was hung in the Sydney Art Gallery, next to it's opposite colour, BLACK.

Tastes of ART are subjective, but I could have hung something that was just plain white. Hey I do that already, it is a background for Photograhy. Ha Ha.

Atleast these guys do recycle their materials a bit, notice the bases of the displays ?? and the colours are similar as well to the ones Gene posted.

Amen to that Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    People really don't call either displays of cloth ART do they????

THIS GUY NEEDS A LITTERING TICKET
    I really don't get him either...
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Does everything have to be so serious?!

I'm just wondering. (Tone of post: conversational) Do every single one of our photographs have a strong pro- or anti- this or that stance, make a point political or otherwise?

I think the vague point of "The Gates" is that it has no point, really. It's this guy's vision - he sat there one day, and said, "What if..." or "Wouldn't it be cool to line Central Park with bright pretty fabric in the dead of winter?!" And then he had the wherewithall to set his goal of doing it and make his vision happen. Love it or hate it, reason or no reason, point or no point, political or apolitical, he's achieved his vision and followed his true path and not listened to the naysayers, and that's pretty fantastic. I admit - I don't "get" a lot of installation art. But I think with Christo and Jean Claude, there's nothing to really "get." What you get is what you see - a wacky guy doing a wacky thing in Central Park. And you know what? I went, the day was a rare beautiful day, the park was FULL of people, and a lot of them looking, smiling, talking, laughing, drawing, and photographing. Children running under the gates having fun.

That's what I think his point is. No, it's not benefitting the poor Tsunami victims, or the tragedies in Darfur, nor is it making a terse lofty statement about good or evil and everything in between.

Does everything have to? Can't we still have some glimpses of wonderment and fickleness in life?

Just wondering!

Megan

While I agree grafitti can be art, the graffiti was basically tags (ugly) and there was some saying "This is art?" or something to that affect.

I would be very upset if people graffiti'd my art. Then again, maybe I wouldn't because that would mean that my art was successful - i.e. someone had such an emotional response to it that they were inspired to respond, however negatively.

(shrugs)

Megan

Oooh, the last one's my fave!
    I have two rolls of it myself to get developed!

Megan

Re: Does everything have to be so serious?!

Here here Megan!

Am I overly fond of the "gates?" Nah,.. but does it bring a smile to my face to think that people who choose, can enjoy it simply by taking a walk in the park and get a kick out of it? Yep, it sure does!

Life is NOT black and white. There are a whole lot of shades in between. Diversity makes the world not boring as hell.

Some people agree that this is art, some do not. It's their perception. I choose to be one who says, "If it makes you happy, go for it." It's a passion, and their right to spend their own money to create.

BTW, if you are concerned about the enviornment, this little snipit from their web page should put your mind to rest.

All the materials from Christo and Jeanne-Claude's artworks are industrially recycled. This makes sure relics are not scattered about the place, looking into the past. Also, disassembly and recycling is environmentally sound.

That's all from me. Over and out.
    Lara

Liz

Cool Re: " The Gates" installation in Central Park, N.Y.C

All of these are excellent.........good photography. My favorite is the 2nd one - the couple underneath. I'd love to see it hanging somewhere - like at my house.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I'm sure you have all heard of this huge installation that is here in Central Park called The Gates. . .by Jeane Claude and Christo. There are 23 miles of randomly placed gates with Safron fabric draped over and will be up for 16 days and then forever gone.
    There has been much controversey here about them, sparked mostly I would think because of the enormity and expense of this project. I went to see them a few days ago in the morning and was somewhat disappointed with it as my expectations proved to be higher.
    This exhibit has sparked much conversation and even debate, some of which has surprised me. On a public radio station here the other evening, there was a debate going on as to whether or not Art should have meaning.( Christo and Jeane Claude state that this installation has no meaning at all , only visual delight and feel) I am of the mind that no meaning is necessary and sometimes things are just meant to be visually appealing.
    Anyway, here are some shots of the Gates, just a small area of the park at 106th street.

Re: Does everything have to be so serious?!

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    I'm just wondering. (Tone of post: conversational) Do every single one of our photographs have a strong pro- or anti- this or that stance, make a point political or otherwise?

I think the vague point of "The Gates" is that it has no point, really. It's this guy's vision - he sat there one day, and said, "What if..." or "Wouldn't it be cool to line Central Park with bright pretty fabric in the dead of winter?!" And then he had the wherewithall to set his goal of doing it and make his vision happen. Love it or hate it, reason or no reason, point or no point, political or apolitical, he's achieved his vision and followed his true path and not listened to the naysayers, and that's pretty fantastic. I admit - I don't "get" a lot of installation art. But I think with Christo and Jean Claude, there's nothing to really "get." What you get is what you see - a wacky guy doing a wacky thing in Central Park. And you know what? I went, the day was a rare beautiful day, the park was FULL of people, and a lot of them looking, smiling, talking, laughing, drawing, and photographing. Children running under the gates having fun.

That's what I think his point is. No, it's not benefitting the poor Tsunami victims, or the tragedies in Darfur, nor is it making a terse lofty statement about good or evil and everything in between.

Does everything have to? Can't we still have some glimpses of wonderment and fickleness in life?

Just wondering!

Megan

Well said, Megan. Agreed.

Liz, glad you enjoy the pics and would be more than happy to send you a print if you wanted.
    Thanks, I have enjoyed the debate, conversation that the Gates has been able to bring about.

gary

Re: Waste of Money and Time!

Gene, your photo is excellent. I like it alot ( it is not backing up your opinion of the exhibit very well) 8)

Coachgns. . . good shots thanks for contributing

gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information