ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Liz

Device detects digital cameras....and more

This new device detects digital cameras on people - then prevents you from getting a picture - or at the least, the results will be just a blurr. check it out. It's sort of pro-privacy and anti-photo.

http://news.com.com/Crave+privacy+Ne...9832&subj=news

Liz

Re: Device detects digital cameras....and more

Maybe they will come up with a smart device that will only affect P&S and non Pro bodies... then I'll be safe

JS

Pentax Forum Moderator

I think there will probably be some serious challenges to this technology, but as usual in our society today, money talks and it will easily get on the market. I guess papparazzi will have to switch to film only or all dslr users will have to invest in some high end telephoto lenses. Of course, I would think that shining a light at any camera lens, film or digital, would damage the shot, so I would think you film users may need to worry about this technology also. Of course, there will be the techno geeks who come up with a device to hide the digital signal...hmmm...when will it stop...hehe...
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Actually, after thinking about this a bit I am wondering if this could damage the sensor. Hmm, sounds like another legal battle there.... sueing over damaged sensor and new $5000 body....

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

The HP solution is an area defence weapon, it blurs all cemeras (at least those crippled by HP) and won't selectively blur the face of the person with the clicker.

"By out-fitting a camera with a ring of IR-LEDs and an IR pass filter"
    Duh, fit your camera with an IR absorbing filter and they're back to square one.
    Plus the human eye will nicely reflect IR, so how do you know which you're looking at?
    Most DSLRs have IR filters anyhow, the Canon 20D in its astronomical form has the IR filter removed.

The light beam again isn't targeted, so long telephoto seems a viabel solution. As is simply keeping the projctor out of the frame ! It might be effetive against cheap non-zoom camera phones.

I tried a few years ago with a laser and a camera, it's just not possible with a legal 1mW laser to stop the camera getting a picture.
    It couldn't adjust the exposure enough to seriously under-expose because the laser is such a tiny percentage of the image area.
    Attempts to cause flare inside the lens failed, even on a P&S or a video camera.
    I failed to damage the sensor too

Of course a more powerful laser might work, but even going to 5mW didn't do the trick.
    You're going to be in the realm of "do not stare into beam with remaining eye" laser power.

I know from my night racing shots that you only need to be a few degrees off the beam and the effect on auto-exposure isn't enough. But with a 50W car headlight straight in the lens, it will depress the auto-exposure to the point of just capturing the lights.

They still haven't come up with the Thunderbirds "camera detector" the puppets had
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    This new device detects digital cameras on people - then prevents you from getting a picture - or at the least, the results will be just a blurr. check it out. It's sort of pro-privacy and anti-photo.

http://news.com.com/Crave+privacy+Ne...9832&subj=news

Liz

Did anyone else notice....

That this article is pro anti-camera technology?

I know it's an article on the technical aspects of this device, and I'll readily agree that problems with piracy and industrial espionage is a major concern. But in the back of my mind, I see an industrial version of this sort of thing being mounted onto the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Captial Building.....

Want to take a picture? Get a permit, pay a fee, etc, etc. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.....

Or maybe I've seen too much of Big Brother in our lives....

Fascinating technology though.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Or maybe I've seen too much of Big Brother in our lives....
    This would hinder Big Brother by messing up the surveillance cameras being put up everywhere by the government. I love the idea of protecting my privacy!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Wink Re: Device detects digital cameras....and more

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    This would hinder Big Brother by messing up the surveillance cameras being put up everywhere by the government. I love the idea of protecting my privacy!

Great take on this Michael!!!!

I like it!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Not really related but the last time I was out in Vegas I rode the rollercoaster at New York New York Hotel. They had a sign stating that you needed to put any cell phones and cameras in a locker. Well the lockers cost a dollar so I figured if I stuffed them way down in my pockets there was no chance they were going to fall out.

Well we get on our way and after a few feet the coaster stops and the person comes out and says that someone had a cell phone or camera on them and that they need to hand it over. Sure enough a few people hand over cell phones and cameras. I'm thinking ahh there is no way they can tell that I have a phone and mini camera on me and I'm okay.

Well after a few seconds they say that someone still has one on them and that the ride can't go until it was handed over. Sure enough I can barely dig my own out of my pocket with the restraints on but am finally able to hand it over to them and away we went.

Do you think they just had some kind of thing that was sensing cell signals or something? Always kinda wondered about that.

What have people got against wearing paper bags in public?
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

> Do you think they just had some kind of thing that was sensing cell signals or something?

Almost certainly.
    Was your phone switched on?

Your phone sends regular signals to the local cells and receives responses back.
    The idea is to allow it to regulate its output power so that it doesn't swamp other phones in the area, using just enough power ot get through instead of blasting away at full power.
    Also when you're moving it allows the cell to hand off the phone to the neighbouring cell based on the speed of fall off of your signal and the strength of the signal in neighbouring cells.
    That's how cellphone based location works, you can tell roughly which 1/6 of a cell your phone is in (less or more depending on cell shape) and which direction it's going, even roughly how fast.

Sounds like their ride control elctronics isn't shielded against cellphones.
    It's hard, becaue it's a nasty square edged pulse-ridden transmission.
    The old analogue phones had a lot more friendly signal, but used far too much bandwidth to keep up with demand.
    I noticed that most of our medical equipment at the hospotal would continue to work tihe the analogue phones nearby, but the new GSM digital phones were far more disruptive.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information