Futility

Printable View

• 04-02-2006, 09:10 PM
    Sebastian
    Futility
    WIth her team down by three in the final inning, she waits for her chance to bat.

http://www.cmcpics.com/blogimages/softball1.jpg
  • 04-03-2006, 08:02 AM
    Speed
    Re: Futility
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian
    WIth her team down by three in the final inning, she waits for her chance to bat.

Maybe "Frustration" would be a better title.

;-)

Great capture though! The black and white adds to the mood.

:-D
  • 04-03-2006, 08:08 AM
    gahspidy
    Great title. your image really conveys the hopeless feeling that the batter may be feeling at the time.
  • 04-03-2006, 10:15 AM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed
    Maybe "Frustration" would be a better title.

;-)

Great capture though! The black and white adds to the mood.

:-D

Oxford English Dictionary:

frustration - noun - the feeling of being upset or annoyed, esp. because of inability to change or achieve something : I sometimes feel like screaming with frustration. • an event or circumstance that causes one to have such a feeling : the inherent frustrations of assembly line work. • the prevention of the progress, success, or fulfillment of something : the frustration of their wishes. ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from Latin frustratio(n-), from frustrare ‘disappoint’ (see frustrate ).

futile - adjective - incapable of producing any useful result; pointless : a futile attempt to keep fans from mounting the stage. DERIVATIVES futilely - adverb, futility - noun - ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from Latin futilis ‘leaky, futile,’ apparently from fundere ‘pour.’

Sorry Speedo, you lose. :D
  • 04-03-2006, 10:17 AM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Great title. your image really conveys the hopeless feeling that the batter may be feeling at the time.

Thanks Gary. :)
  • 04-03-2006, 10:41 AM
    Asylum Steve
    I disagree...
    Futile implies her team has no chance to come back and win. If you think that was the best word to use, then you most have also thought that was true. Which means you need to watch more softball, as three runs is not considered that big a lead... :)

Nice pic, though...
  • 04-03-2006, 10:44 AM
    srobb
    Speed, if this was a ring, I think you would be body-slammed. :D :D

Nice image, Sebastian. Having been in that position myself a few times, her feeling of frustration over her team's futile position comes through loud and clear. The b&w makes it even more palpable of a feeling for me.
  • 04-03-2006, 10:58 AM
    Sebastian
    Steve,

Once again, I benefit from leaving out details. :D

Two outs, and she's the pitcher. But,IMO her body language just carries the message more than anything, hence I didn't feel the details were needed.
  • 04-03-2006, 10:59 AM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by srobb
    Speed, if this was a ring, I think you would be body-slammed. :D :D

Nice image, Sebastian. Having been in that position myself a few times, her feeling of frustration over her team's futile position comes through loud and clear. The b&w makes it even more palpable of a feeling for me.

Srobb,

You get a cookie for using both debated terms in the same sentence! Were you a spelling bee champion in college? ;) :D
  • 04-03-2006, 11:28 AM
    Stillsky
    Having experienced that situation a number of times while I played baseball, it's both a futile and frustrating thing, so the name could go either way.

As for the shot, it's great. I think it would be nice if you could see the faces of the people on the bench a little clearer, especially if their expressions indicate the desparate situation their team is in. That's just a preference thing though.

Good stuff :)
  • 04-03-2006, 11:57 AM
    srobb
    Quote:

Srobb,

You get a cookie for using both debated terms in the same sentence! Were you a spelling bee champion in college? ;) :D

No, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D :D

Just an over active writer's imagination that sadly has seen little use.
  • 04-03-2006, 12:17 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Funny...
    Quote:

Steve,

Once again, I benefit from leaving out details. :D

Two outs, and she's the pitcher. But,IMO her body language just carries the message more than anything, hence I didn't feel the details were needed.

Seb, I was actually going to mention in my first reply that EVEN with two out, a three run lead in softball is not that huge. And, of course I suppose it would be beneath me to also mention that softball pitchers are often as good or better hitters than position players.

But that would be petty, and undermind your main point, which BTW is correct. The body language of your subject DOES fit the title, and vice versa... :)
  • 04-03-2006, 12:48 PM
    adina
    Sebastian,

I really like that photo.

having no softball/baseball experience and no desire to check a dictionary, that is all you get.
  • 04-03-2006, 12:48 PM
    adina
    Oh wait, I was mistaken.

That hat really does nothing for her facial features.
  • 04-03-2006, 12:52 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Hey, this is becoming a battle of...
    The WEIRD FACIAL HAIR avatars... :D
  • 04-03-2006, 12:54 PM
    Sebastian
    I think facial GROWTH would be more accurate. :)
  • 04-03-2006, 12:54 PM
    adina
    I don't think that thing on Speed's face is hair. If it is, he has some serious issues and ought to consider finding a good waxer.
  • 04-03-2006, 01:15 PM
    Trevor Ash
    --Player--

"Screw you guys, I'm going home!"

"I can't wait until I no longer need this retainer!"

"My lips taste like sugar!"

"I hope this pole holds."

"I hope this bat holds."

"I lost the other sock in the dryer."

"I wish I had a butt like #6"

-- Coach --

"Where the f*** is her other sock?"

"What's a five letter word for futile that starts with an E?"

"God damnit #6!! How many times do I have to tell you not to go streaking in the middle of the game?!?"
  • 04-03-2006, 01:38 PM
    Speed
    Quote:

Oxford English Dictionary:

frustration - noun - the feeling of being upset or annoyed, esp. because of inability to change or achieve something : I sometimes feel like screaming with frustration. • an event or circumstance that causes one to have such a feeling : the inherent frustrations of assembly line work. • the prevention of the progress, success, or fulfillment of something : the frustration of their wishes. ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from Latin frustratio(n-), from frustrare ‘disappoint’ (see frustrate ).

futile - adjective - incapable of producing any useful result; pointless : a futile attempt to keep fans from mounting the stage. DERIVATIVES futilely - adverb, futility - noun - ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from Latin futilis ‘leaky, futile,’ apparently from fundere ‘pour.’

Foiled by that d@mn dictionary again!

;-)
  • 04-03-2006, 08:50 PM
    Tuna
    Sebastian - nice capture and technical presentation with the rich blacks showing just enough bits of detail to complement your subject.

Tuna
  • 04-04-2006, 12:13 AM
    jar_e
    Sebastian,

Great shot as always; love the tones and a well composed shot! Love the title and the commentary we as the PR community have made up for it:p

Good job.
  • 04-04-2006, 09:19 AM
    Sebastian
    Thanks Tuna and Jared... :)
  • 04-05-2006, 07:52 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Lol...
    Quote:

I think facial GROWTH would be more accurate. :)

You're right. I don't think I want to know what that is on your face... :eek: :confused: :(