• 02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Fundraiser for Greg McCary
    As I'm sure everyone is aware by now our dear friend, long time member, and Olympus Forum Moderator Greg McCary was in an accident this month while out shooting a bridge at the beginning of the month. I won't get into the details here as it was covered in another thread (see below) but, he is going to be out of commission for a long time and will need all the help he can get whether it be for medical bills, living expenses, or even to replace gear broken in the fall. If you are interested in making donations or if you have any photography gear/items you would like to sell to help raise funds, please post a reply in this thread or you can pm me or reach me via email, aaronjayl1979 at yahoo dot com. If emailing, please put Greg McCary Fundraiser in the subject so that my spam filter doesn't snag it. I'll kick things off with a $100 donation and will be listing some books and gear to sell soon. I will keep this first post updated with a list of items along with an updated total of funds raised. I realize some may wish to remain anonymous, so please do not hesitate to contact me directly if this is the case. If you prefer to make donations via Paypal, please PM me as I use a separate email address from the one listed above. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your help and thank you Photo-John for giving the go ahead with the fundraiser.

Aaron

To find out more about Greg's accident or to get updated information on Greg's condition please CLICK HERE

Total Donations Thursday March 12: $664.07
    (after Paypal fees)

Benefit Sale: (coming soon)
  • 02-19-2009, 04:42 PM
    jetrim
    Re: Fundraiser for Greg McCary
    This is a really good idea Aaron, do you have a paypal account so I might contribute that way? I'm currently fighting my own battles with finances, being in the construction industry (we're usually the second hit, right after the banks in an economic downturn, but rebound much quicker too) but I feel this to be a very worthy cause, and I have some funds in my paypal account I'd be happy to contribute to the cause.
  • 02-19-2009, 04:46 PM
    draymorton
    Same here. I'm in.
  • 02-19-2009, 04:59 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Hi guys, thanks for your support! I know times are hard for everyone so if you wish to help, please don't feel like you have to donate a lot. With so many members here, even $1, $5 ,and $10 donations can add up quickly. I do have a paypal account (different from my email address above) which I prefer not to post publicly. Please pm or email me and I will give you my paypal info if you prefer to make donations that way. Thanks again!!! :thumbsup:
  • 02-19-2009, 05:02 PM
    Medley
    Outstanding idea Aaron. I have the problem of being in the middle of a chapter 13 bankruptcy, which doesn't allow me to have any credit.

What I was thinking was setting up a fund with some (preferably national) bank, where people could contribute at any local branch. It's only a partial solution, since some of our members live outside the US. But anything that helps facilitate the process can't be all bad. I have no idea how to go about setting one up, and it seem to me to be best if it were set up somewhere close to where Greg and Nora live, but I think it's worth considering.

If not, I'll find another way to contribute.

- Joe U.
  • 02-19-2009, 05:22 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Medley
    ...What I was thinking was setting up a fund with some (preferably national) bank, where people could contribute at any local branch. It's only a partial solution, since some of our members live...I have no idea how to go about setting one up...

Hmmm, not sure how to set something like that up either but, I am open to any ideas that would help.
  • 02-19-2009, 06:01 PM
    Liz
    This is such a great idea. I'm in for sure. I can't contribute much, but I know every little bit counts. I may have some photo accessories to contribute to the sale also.

Is it possible to send you a check? If so, how would I do that?

Liz
  • 02-19-2009, 06:08 PM
    jetrim
    PM sent...
  • 02-19-2009, 06:23 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Thanks Jetrim, just replied to you.

Liz, there's a pm coming your way
  • 02-19-2009, 07:09 PM
    Frog
    I'll be in...probably tomorrow.
    Thank you, Aaron!
  • 02-19-2009, 08:42 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Thanks Jetrim, just replied to you.

Liz, there's a pm coming your way

Thanks Aaron - I replied.......thanks for doing all this!

Liz
  • 02-19-2009, 08:59 PM
    Tyson L. Sparks
    I am in to. I'll PM you soon to let you know what I can give and how to get it to you.
  • 02-19-2009, 10:09 PM
    Old Timer
    I'm defiantly in!!!
    PM on the way.
  • 02-20-2009, 05:45 AM
    Xia_Ke
    Thanks for all the help everyone! :D
  • 02-20-2009, 02:30 PM
    GB1
    Aaron - I am in also. Please PM me with the PayPal details. And thanks for taking the lead on this.

-GB
  • 02-20-2009, 03:22 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Thanks GB, pm coming your way :thumbsup:
  • 02-20-2009, 03:28 PM
    poker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GB1
    Aaron - I am in also. Please PM me with the PayPal details. And thanks for taking the lead on this.

-GB

X2

Please send send me paypal deatails. thanks!
  • 02-20-2009, 03:32 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poker
    X2

Please send send me paypal deatails. thanks!

Coming your way :thumbsup:
  • 02-20-2009, 04:24 PM
    Irie Times
    Xia_Ke,

To be completely honest I don't know Greg but do enjoy his posts and anyone who has this much response coming from such a great forum deserves all he can get.

I'll match your $100; let me know where to send it.

Also, is there any thought about an online gallery auction, or something in his area I don't know if that is even possible but that might be a way to raise some money.

Anyway let me know where to send the check.

Get well soon Greg!
  • 02-20-2009, 04:47 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Hi Irie, thank you very much for such a generous donation offer!!! :O PM coming your way.

An online gallery auction is a possibility. I'm open to any suggestions anyone has for how to raise some funds for Greg. How would we go about setting something like that up?
  • 02-20-2009, 06:12 PM
    another view
    I'm in too and thank you so much for doing this for Greg!
  • 02-20-2009, 06:37 PM
    Frog
    I don't know about the auction but we could do a lot of buying from his site...a few there I've thought of anyway.
  • 02-20-2009, 07:33 PM
    Shebang
    The Economy hit and so my out-of-work decorative painter husband is now an almost-out-of-work-but-still-trickling-in house painter. :eek:

We have to trust for X amount of dollars anyway, so we might as well trust for X amount plus $25.00 more for the McCrarys :)

It seems hardly enough to make any difference, but I know what you said is true -- those little bits quickly add up -- and everything helps. :blush2:

Please send me a pm with an address and who to make my check to and I will stick it in the mail. :thumbsup:

Thanks for a great idea, your trouble making it happen, and the vehicle by which we can offer a little help in RT (real time). :D
  • 02-20-2009, 09:57 PM
    JTcooper
    yes, I will give two hand up for this. all yall have to show us how and when because I known this forum mean alot to me when I started 4 years ago. Hey Aaron, would you PM me too and how would I help.

Thanks my friends,
  • 02-21-2009, 03:11 PM
    Xia_Ke
    PM's coming shebang and JT :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog
    I don't know about the auction but we could do a lot of buying from his site...a few there I've thought of anyway.

That's an excellent point! If anyone is looking for some new prints for the wall or to give as gifts, you can purchase Greg's prints through his website www.gregmccary.com .

I don't have mod access in this forum so I can't update the original post but, we're now up to $326.68 and that is just donations received. Alot of people have requested to send checks and money orders to help out so that number should be going up quite a bit in the next week. Thanks again everyone for your help!!!:thumbsup: :D :thumbsup: