Fun at Balboa Park

Printable View

• 04-30-2004, 10:16 PM
    schrackman
    4 Attachment(s)
    Fun at Balboa Park
    Took the new digital Rebel out to the park after work but this time to get some practice with the 70-300 mm lens.

#1 A cute little bulldog sniffs out a clue, straight out of the camera except for sharpening in ps.

#2 A male mallard duck poses for me, straight out of the camera except for sharpening in ps.

#3 His female companion, had to do some curves and color balancing and sharpening in ps.

#4 Radio controlled race boats, used the sports mode on this one, straight out of the camera except for sharpening in ps.

I have one more that I would really like your thoughts on but I'm only allowed to post 4 images per thread, so I'll post it as an addendum thread.

Ray
  • 04-30-2004, 10:23 PM
    Almighty_tuna
    I love these!! Can't say that I stayed calm knowing these were shot with the dRebel, esp when looking at the details in the grass and feathers on pics 1&3! Pic 4 looks the result of a lot of patience for that moment. What 70-300mm lens is this?
  • 04-30-2004, 10:55 PM
    schrackman
    Hi Tuna,

Thanks for the comments! I bought the drebel body kit from canogacamera.com (which includes battery and charger) and instead of getting Canon's standard 18-55 lens kit I opted for the two Sigma lens kit for an additional $198.00. The two lenses are Sigma's AF 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical II Mini Zoom Macro lens and the AF 70-300 f/4-5.6 DL Macro Super Zoom lens. As I stated on another thread, these are not Sigma's best lenses but they are doing a pretty decent job so far.

Ray
  • 05-01-2004, 06:46 AM
    Old Timer
    I am amazed...
    I am amazed with the quality you are getting from your Sigma lenses. I gave my Sigma 28-105 away and replaced it with a Nikkor 35-70 f2.8 that I love. I posted an image from the Sigma 70-300 a couple of days ago that was no where as sharp as your photo's. I had been using this lense with the N80 with mixed reaction. When I got the D70 and started using it on the digital I just didn't like the results. A couple of thing could be at fault 1) the lense 2) my technique 3) my total lack of PS skill after the fact. I would really like to make this lense work with the D70 any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • 05-02-2004, 08:59 PM
    schrackman
    Hi Old Timer,

Sorry for the late response. I'm not sure what to tell you except that I learned real fast that I have to hold much more still using these lenses than I ever had to with my Nikon CP5000. I am also using the program mode for now until I become more familiar with the Drebel. Thus far it seems to do a pretty decent job with white balance and exposure. But mainly holding still has vastly improved my pictures from day one of using this camera. Wish I could help more but really that's about it, hehe.

Ray
  • 05-02-2004, 09:06 PM
    Mig
    Looks like you're adjusting to SLR life just fine Ray! These are very nice - love the bulldog! I had the DL macro super back in my first go-round with Canon and I thought it was just dandy for the price.

Danielle