ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    drg

FREE: EOS 1-D/50/1.4 for parts! (but...)

You better be a certified diver, and be aware it took a REAL hard hit on the way down. It was observed to be not in one piece as it sank, about 2-300 yards downriver near Starved Rock on the Illinois river. Damn speedboat.

Oh, yeah there's a battery pack/vert-grip some of my blood and custom made leather strap and fortunatly only a small Flash Card.

I've had a couple days to cool off, the insurance company hasn't been unhelpful so I'm buying a new personal camera (or two, I can never buy one of anything). Will wait and see what the insurance does.

But in the meantime I made a purchase for something to play with personally for a couple months that when it gets here I'll spring on everybody. More details soon.

P.S. I think the GPS coordinates are still available if anybody really wants to for swim! (just kidding) ;)

Grumble *&^%#) otherwise Memorial Day was fine.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Re: FREE: EOS 1-D/50/1.4 for parts! (but...)

The 1D has sealed internals right? That sucks but it makes for a great story! Hopefully your insurance company will cut you a nice big big check!

Wow - that's too bad. Did you see the article a few months ago about the guy photographing a bridge on the Mississippi River that put a camera too close, and the last shot on the card is of a big chunk of concrete about 6" away from it? SanDisk used it in one of their ads. Anybody around here a diver? Could be another one...

I hope it all works out with the insurance company!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I took a diving class a few years ago but never got certified. My girlfriends uncle is a master diver over by Chicago, and a bit of a photog, both on land and in the water. Could be a road trip. ;)
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I'm A Certified Diver...

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    You better be a certified diver, and be aware it took a REAL hard hit on the way down. It was observed to be not in one piece as it sank, about 2-300 yards downriver near Starved Rock on the Illinois river. Damn speedboat.

Oh, yeah there's a battery pack/vert-grip some of my blood and custom made leather strap and fortunatly only a small Flash Card.

I've had a couple days to cool off, the insurance company hasn't been unhelpful so I'm buying a new personal camera (or two, I can never buy one of anything). Will wait and see what the insurance does.

But in the meantime I made a purchase for something to play with personally for a couple months that when it gets here I'll spring on everybody. More details soon.

P.S. I think the GPS coordinates are still available if anybody really wants to for swim! (just kidding) ;)

But I'm a Nikon shooter, and even if I shot Canon, I couldn't see driving out to Illinois on the chance that I might be able to find your camera. (I live in coastal NC)

Thanks for the offer though.

Sorry to hear about your loss. That really stinks. Hope the insurance company comes through for you.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

I'm a certified diver. If someone wants to pay for my flight over, I'll gladly do it!!!! Anyone??

Oh well maybe next time

Sorry for your loss though

Chris
    "Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement"

Nikon Samurai #16

drg

Part II-

Had to deal with explaining to the insurance company again how a camera costs this much new (and this one isn't made anymore).

This camera had been new when I bought it for my company and after accelerated depreciation I bought it for a personal camera. Thus I had to document how much it had been used before I began using it, same insurance carrier etc. I was fairly well able to document that this body had 247 days of shooting with at least 300 images/actions a day. So thats just under 75,000 images. It was CLA and 'refurbed/checked' before I took personal possesion so that added to its value.

Since this was a "used" camera we struck what I believe will be a fairly equitable deal and it will pay for one of a couple of cameras I've had my eye on for one purpose or another.

My fingers stopped swelling and aching so all eight fingers and both thumbs are available for typing again, whew! Never knew how good I was at strange keyboarding combinations.

I noticed that I didn't quite finish the story of the death of the 1D. We were coming alongside another boat at nice, slow, no-wake type speed and I had the camera in my right hand and was standing along the port side and just tossed a bumper over when a third boat went by (rather large Glastron) very close and the wake rocked both boats and somebody bumped the throttle. I spun around while my hand and camera smacked a railing on the boat we were alongside. There was a terrible noise, the camera was ripped off my hand (safety grip custom strap and a spare set of batteries were elasticed into the strap not really battery pack, it and the v-grip are built in of course) and though I only saw it out of the corner of my eye, the camera and lens produced at least three large pieces, and some smaller ones before falling between the boats. That's what two people who saw it told me anyway. I believe the lens took the brunt of the blow at a bad angle and twisted or ripped the camera away and the abrasion of the straps are what cut my hand. It wasn't a noble end, but that camera is sunk. Pun intended.

There's a newer Mark II for work, but it won't be going boating. (not for some time)

Thanks for the diving offers. I'm certified but don't think I'll be swimming in that muck for a while! Thanks for listening and commiserating except Speed. If it had been the Nikonis III, bet you'd have been here already! Just teasing.

Mahalo - CDP(

Wink Thanks for listening and commiserating except Speed

Part II-

Had to deal with explaining to the insurance company again how a camera costs this much new (and this one isn't made anymore).

This camera had been new when I bought it for my company and after accelerated depreciation I bought it for a personal camera. Thus I had to document how much it had been used before I began using it, same insurance carrier etc. I was fairly well able to document that this body had 247 days of shooting with at least 300 images/actions a day. So thats just under 75,000 images. It was CLA and 'refurbed/checked' before I took personal possesion so that added to its value.

Since this was a "used" camera we struck what I believe will be a fairly equitable deal and it will pay for one of a couple of cameras I've had my eye on for one purpose or another.

My fingers stopped swelling and aching so all eight fingers and both thumbs are available for typing again, whew! Never knew how good I was at strange keyboarding combinations.

I noticed that I didn't quite finish the story of the death of the 1D. We were coming alongside another boat at nice, slow, no-wake type speed and I had the camera in my right hand and was standing along the port side and just tossed a bumper over when a third boat went by (rather large Glastron) very close and the wake rocked both boats and somebody bumped the throttle. I spun around while my hand and camera smacked a railing on the boat we were alongside. There was a terrible noise, the camera was ripped off my hand (safety grip custom strap and a spare set of batteries were elasticed into the strap not really battery pack, it and the v-grip are built in of course) and though I only saw it out of the corner of my eye, the camera and lens produced at least three large pieces, and some smaller ones before falling between the boats. That's what two people who saw it told me anyway. I believe the lens took the brunt of the blow at a bad angle and twisted or ripped the camera away and the abrasion of the straps are what cut my hand. It wasn't a noble end, but that camera is sunk. Pun intended.

There's a newer Mark II for work, but it won't be going boating. (not for some time)

Thanks for the diving offers. I'm certified but don't think I'll be swimming in that muck for a while! Thanks for listening and commiserating except Speed. If it had been the Nikonis III, bet you'd have been here already! Just teasing.

Mahalo - CDP(
    If it had been the Nikonis III, bet you'd have been here already! Just teasing.

Hmmm, I don't know. Illinois is still a hefty drive...;-)

And regardless of camera brand, I sympathize with anyone who loses or damages their camera gear! I am a photographer, and I feel your pain. Nikon just happens to be the brand I shoot.

Glad to hear your insurance company is working with you. Hope you get your new camera soon.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information