ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum shoot - London at Night

Hi all

Last night Tom (Overbeyond), Paul (Smartwombat) and myself met up for a London night shoot. Tom and I met a little earlier in order to catch a little light in the sky. Paul joined us a little later. Roger (Readingr) couldn't join us this time due to work commitments.

It was heavily overcast and very dark so long exposures were the order of the day. It was also bitterly cold!

First we went to Trafalgar Square which commemorates the victory of Lord Nelson over Napoleon's navy. Each year a huge Christmas tree is donated by the people of Norway as thanks for British help during WWII. Various charities, churches, etc can sing carols under the tree and raise money for their particular cause. Tom has a fine carol singing voice incidentally

Just two from me to begin with ... a view of one of the fountains, the tree, and the National Gallery. And a front view of the Gallery. Paul and Tom will add their own pictures to this thread and tell more of the story of the night.

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forum shoot - London at Night-fountain-01-jpg.jpg   Forum shoot - London at Night-national-gallery-jpg.jpg  
    Last edited by Didache; 12-15-2007 at 03:06 AM.
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Re: Forum shoot - London at Night

WOW!!! Gorgeous shots Mike!

Mike,

Sorry I could not make it, and it looks like it was a photogenic night.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

They are two crackers Mike; the colour and detail in the second is great too.
    Not my favourite type of shooting and I didn't find it easy (maybe I should stick to the carol singing!) But it now makes me appreciate good ones when I see them, like these two of yours.
    .I still have'nt thawed out.
    Wombat did you get home all right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forum shoot - London at Night-forum1.jpg   Forum shoot - London at Night-forum2.jpg   Forum shoot - London at Night-forum3.jpg  
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

While we waited for Paul to arrive, Tom and I went to Leicester Square nearby, which had a Christmas funfair. Two of this from me - I was experimenting with the motion and long exposures.

Tom - yours look good to me! I like that one with the lion and the bus - it never occurred to me to look that way!

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forum shoot - London at Night-carousel-01-jpg.jpg   Forum shoot - London at Night-fair-01-jpg.jpg  
    Mike Dales ARPS

Thanks Mike.
    Leceister Square is as tacky a place as one can find on the face of the earth. Hundreds of people flock there for film premiers just to look at "celebrities". God help us.
    But with all that junk on display it was a great place to practice techniques.
    After this we went back to Trafalgar to meet Paul. Mike and I were like ice blocks and no amount of carol singing or heavenly inspiritation would thaw us out (talk about freezing the action) . After Paul had completed his session in the square the three of us headed down to the river and the London Eye. The light was lost of course at this stage but we did not let that stop us. After a pint in a local pub the boys set up a few shots at the best vantage point for beautiful shots of the Eye. Every shot of the Eye is by now a cliche but it is still a beautiful and awe inspiring sight from this particular vantage point so I hope the boys have a couple of good ones to show you. Overbeyond had enough and was too cold to be bothered getting the gear out again. From here we walked back to Westminster where we said our goodbyes.
    Wombat are you home yet!

Ps This is my only (dreadful) shot of the lads at work. Mike is in there too but you just can't see him!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

You know, if you said you were going to start earlier, I'd have blown off work (everyone else went early to the Xmas party) and caught some of that light !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Mike, love that 2nd image! I like how you captured the people capturing you (complete with flash )

Thanks for sharing these.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I like the lion/bus,(looks like the lion is thinking of the bus as prey), and the carnival pics.
    Great that you guys could get together.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

frog - I like that pic of Tom's too. Incidentally, there are four lions on the Square. They were cast from the bronze of Napoleon's cannons which Lord Nelson had captured.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS

Great shots! Mike, the first one of the first batch is my fav of yours. Tom, that Lion shot is king! I wish I could come and hang with you guys . .I know I would have a blast, and a pint or two . . .
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Well, someone has to post shots of the eye, so let's get that over with
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forum shoot - London at Night-vv9w0232.jpg   Forum shoot - London at Night-vv9w0234.jpg   Forum shoot - London at Night-vv9w0211.jpg   Forum shoot - London at Night-vv9w0213.jpg   Forum shoot - London at Night-vv9w0229.jpg  

PAul

And a few of the attendees.
    You can see in the second shot Tom actually only had two flashing badges on his hat, so given they flashed about every second you can work out the exposure time on that last shot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forum shoot - London at Night-vv9w0244.jpg   Forum shoot - London at Night-vv9w0248.jpg   Forum shoot - London at Night-vv9w0208.jpg  
    PAul

Nice work chaps. I wish I could have made it.

Gary - you need to get some drinking practice in - Tom makes you drink ten pints before you start :lol:

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    You know, if you said you were going to start earlier, I'd have blown off work (everyone else went early to the Xmas party) and caught some of that light !
    Unfortunately Paul I could never be certain what time I would be able to get away from work yesterday. As it happened it was a bonus for me to get there so early as my boss had drank too much wine at the Xmas dinner at school and cancelled a few things we were going to run through in the afternoon. Exactly what I was hoping for.
    I am already looking forward to doing a session with you up in your neck of the woods.
    Again, I think you're a great sport for making the long journey down to the smoke on such a cold night.

Mike thanks for adding the bit of history to the square. Nice idea.

Oh I suppose I ought to post a tree shot too - unless you got it, Mike?
    I don't want to hog the thread
    PAul

And a few of the attendees.
    You can see in the second shot Tom actually only had two flashing badges on his hat, so given they flashed about every second you can work out the exposure time on that last shot
    LOL!!! . . . . .

gary

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Nice work chaps. I wish I could have made it.

Gary - you need to get some drinking practice in - Tom makes you drink ten pints before you start :lol:

Roger
    LOL, well, I'll start practicing tonight. No time like the present, I always say . . .
    I'll also set up tripod and timer to record my tenth pint . . . just in case.

Paul, even though it's been beat to death, your shots of the EYE are pleasing to view. I enjoyed them.

gary

Thanks Gary.
    I had to have assistance from Mike for this one on avoiding the tripod police.

I didn't know about the BA security people. British Airways have leased the ground for the Eye, and for public safety (and presumably their liability) tripods aren't allowed on the grounds of the London Eye.

So you go through the avenue of trees (all lit up) and onto the footpath
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forum shoot - London at Night-vv9w0240.jpg  
    PAul

Tree and column, with SON lamp coloured sky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forum shoot - London at Night-vv9w0193.jpg  
    PAul

I decided to upload mine, just in case.
    http://www.fotolibra.com/gallery/col.../london-night/
    PAul

Quote Originally Posted by Overbeyond
    Wombat did you get home all right?
    Yes thanks, got back 00:15 and went straight to bed.

I fancy doing another shoot, getting there earlier.
    But at £25 getting there and back it'll have to wait.
    I've spent my Xmas budget !
    £1500 for car repairs
    £1800 for a second NAS for photos, and a DIY box for web server/FTP/backups :blush2:
    At least I get airmiles on those ... or is it air inches?
    PAul

Why not to use a long exposure

Original photograph, inset is a merge of this and the next frame.
    You can see how far the top of the tree moved between shots.
    Oh, and how far the statue didn't
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forum shoot - London at Night-vv9w0198-copy.jpg  
    PAul

Thanks Gary.
    I had to have assistance from Mike for this one on avoiding the tripod police.

I didn't know about the BA security people. British Airways have leased the ground for the Eye, and for public safety (and presumably their liability) tripods aren't allowed on the grounds of the London Eye.

So you go through the avenue of trees (all lit up) and onto the footpath

That's the one Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Great shots! Mike, the first one of the first batch is my fav of yours. Tom, that Lion shot is king! I wish I could come and hang with you guys . .I know I would have a blast, and a pint or two . . .
    I look forward to these get-togethers Gary and it would not bother me if a photograph was never taken. It's just great being with good and like minded people that does it for me ... and a pint or two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information