Told ya'...
  • 11-10-2006, 06:54 AM
    natatbeach
    Re: Fish
    oooh I like him...what is it...
  • 11-10-2006, 10:29 AM
    Jaedon
    I am gonna make an educated guess that it is a Cichlid ... most likely African by the shape and a male by the spot on the anal fin... however from the coloring I cannot tell the species....

but cute fish nonetheless =P
  • 11-10-2006, 11:55 AM
    almo
    Thanks!

Yes it is an African Cichlid. Metriclima zebra to be exact, however, both males and females have spots on the anal fins, so the appearence of spots is not an indicator of sex.
  • 11-10-2006, 07:23 PM
    Photo-John
    I think it's a negative image, hence the strange color of the fish and the background.
  • 11-10-2006, 07:32 PM
    almo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I think it's a negative image, hence the strange color of the fish and the background.

Oh man, I thought that was obvious...:confused:

Yes I added a diffuesed glow and then inverted the image, so I could use it as an avatar on a cichlid forum. That is why it's kinda small.

Here is the original...
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...e/CRW_7437.jpg
  • 11-11-2006, 10:17 AM
    Jaedon
    I amy be incorrect but I thought the males had more spots on the anal fin than the females. The females do get spots ... but never more than 2 or 3 .. while the males get a peacocked look to the fin... but it's been a long time since I was up to date on fish information.

And now that the image is larger and clearer it is an awesome image. I can never get shots like that and it isnt for lack of trying. Out zoo here in Toronto has a Cichlid tank that they call Darwins dream. It is about a 2000 G tank and it's just FILLED with african cichlids. I keep trying but have yet to be successful at getting images there =(
  • 11-11-2006, 02:58 PM
    almo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaedon
    I amy be incorrect but I thought the males had more spots on the anal fin than the females. The females do get spots ... but never more than 2 or 3 .. while the males get a peacocked look to the fin... but it's been a long time since I was up to date on fish information.

And now that the image is larger and clearer it is an awesome image. I can never get shots like that and it isnt for lack of trying. Out zoo here in Toronto has a Cichlid tank that they call Darwins dream. It is about a 2000 G tank and it's just FILLED with african cichlids. I keep trying but have yet to be successful at getting images there =(

Thanks for the comments!

I have males with one spot and females with 8-10, it really is not a reliable way to determine sex.

I have a page you can go to for some tips for shooting fish in fishtanks: HERE
  • 11-11-2006, 06:14 PM
    Old Timer
    John the original is a stunning image. I much prefer it over the inverted one.
  • 11-11-2006, 06:41 PM
    almo
    Thanks Larry!

He's a great fish!